Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzy Favor Hamilton interview with Wisconsin newspaper

There's an in-depth interview article on Suzy Favor Hamilton, in which she discusses "The Fall" at the 2000 Olympics, the tragedies that have befallen people close to her, and her own emotional difficulties. And, oh yes, her new passions... her young daughter and speed skating!

http://www.badgerbeat.com/news/article/id/306841

(Be sure to keep clicking "Next" at the bottom of each page. There are places where it might look like the article has ended, but it hasn't.)

SparkNotes summary:

Headcase.

Comment

8 years on....who cares? Its not like she was ever a Ruth W, Decker etc either....

Comment

Originally posted by Matt
        8 years on....who cares? Its not like she was ever a Ruth W, Decker etc either....
        Take out Regina (Please) and she wins ten national titles in the 1500/mile, makes the Olympic final and leads into the last turn, something Decker never accomplished, not exactly a thin record.

Comment

Originally posted by jrun
          SparkNotes summary:

Headcase.
          If you chose to position someone who had significant psychological problems which came to a head in the most dramatic fashion in front of millions on a worldwide TV broadcast, so be it.

Despite not being a fan during her track career, and to my eternal shame mainly because I admired Regina Jacobs, I believe Suzy deserves huge kudos for not only making the decision to address those problems, but also for having the guts to tell her story in the press and in public.

It was a very brave decision and one which she probably guessed would leave her open to ridicule from some, but which also will certainly be a valuable message to others who are quietly being tormented by similar problems. Good for her...

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
            Originally posted by Matt
            Take out Regina (Please) and she wins ten national titles in the 1500/mile, makes the Olympic final and leads into the last turn, something Decker never accomplished, not exactly a thin record.
            ....and finishes last/falls over deliberately. I am not particularly a Decker fan, but I don't think she would have had any difficulty in seeking national titles at 1500/mile, had she bothered. Also - SFH ended up with a PR some three seconds quicker than R Jacobs by their end of their careers. She lost to her a helluva lot of times.

Comment

What marknhj said.

News flash: Athletes are human beings with the full spectrum of personalities, problems and quirks like the rest of us.

Thanks for your honesty Suzy-glad to hear you are enjoying your post athletic life.

Comment

I'm always shocked when I see or read negative reactions to Suzy Favor Hamilton. "Headcase"? Please. I read this entire article and saw nothing controversial in it. She was a terrific runner, a great ambassador for the sport and ALWAYS made time for her fans. Once more, she is a genuinely kind human being. There is a major part of every athlete's journey that is traversed totally alone. To me, this article was simply a glimpse into that part of her journey and an update about her life afer track.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching her compete and wish her and her family nothing but the best.

Comment

i always thought suzy would have made a great movie...

end scene, when she finds out regina was a cheater..

Comment

I can empathize with Ms Favor-Hamilton's depression but I do not understand her final straight decision to just lay down. And, I do not understand her motive in making this admission eight years after the fact unless, cynically, to make herself more in demand as a motivational speaker.Nor,do I fault her for that. Use what you have.

Comment

She is/was a perfectionist and a people pleaser. Have seen that a lot lately...though not so much in the Olympics.

cman

Comment

And as I predicted, I see my comment was deleted. You can't even compliment anyone any more !

Comment

SFH has known since at least the early '90s.

Originally posted by az2004

Comment

Originally posted by ed gee
                            SFH has known since at least the early '90s.

Originally posted by az2004

Make that the mid-1980s. She won the NSIC mile in 1986, then won the NCAA 1,500 in 1987.

As far as Regina is concerned, I'd still like to know how long she was really in the dirt. I'll still bet good horse money, though, that the Russians got in her head by 2000-03, regardless of her age at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
                              Originally posted by jrun
                              SparkNotes summary:

Headcase.
                              If you chose to position someone who had significant psychological problems which came to a head in the most dramatic fashion in front of millions on a worldwide TV broadcast, so be it.

Despite not being a fan during her track career, and to my eternal shame mainly because I admired Regina Jacobs, I believe Suzy deserves huge kudos for not only making the decision to address those problems, but also for having the guts to tell her story in the press and in public.

It was a very brave decision and one which she probably guessed would leave her open to ridicule from some, but which also will certainly be a valuable message to others who are quietly being tormented by similar problems. Good for her...
                              Agree fully. I've said it before here, but I ran into her at Heathrow airport a number of years ago & chatted for 15 or 20 minutes. She was a warm and charming person--a real pleasure to meet. Her career had its bumps, to be sure, but she was a superb talent.

Comment

Working...
                              X