X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lagsun
    replied
    Re: Identical clothing does nothing to pomote our sport

>If you'll notice, most of the GST Meets now put the athlete's name on their Bib
    >instead of a number now.

Last Spring, I asked why the Prefontaine meet didn't put the athlete's name on the bib. Here is the response from Tom Jordan:

"Re: names vs. numbers on the bib. It's a trade-off. I personally prefer seeing the names on the bibs. Gives the athletes some individuality, and is definitely better for the fans in the stands. However, for TV folks it's not so user-friendly to have names instead of numbers. I got an email from Tim Hutchins in Britain, saying that he hoped we were using numbers, as the names at the Oregon Track Classic were very hard for their spotters to pick up while they were doing their voice-overs of the TV feed. Having done some color commentary myself, I can second the fact that names are tough to make out. Perhaps larger letters, and abbreviations...? "KIPG" for Kipkosgei? Might work.

Another problem for us at Pre is we do not use tyvek numbers, which, while cheesy, do lend themselves to last-minute printing of names. The special material we use (have you ever noticed how well the Pre Classic numbers show up in photos?) would require each name to be screen-printed on, which would be extremely laborious and not practical with all of the last-minutes adds to the meet.

So, as far as the Pre Classic goes, at least for now, you'll just have to depend upon the accuracy of the commentators."

Here is the URL to the thread as well:
    http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/di ... ssage=3017

Leave a comment:

• MJR
    replied

...and for $4 every other athlete could do the same if they cared...

Leave a comment:

• dl
    replied

Puma prints the name of each athlete on the singlet.

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied

I've said many times that the races I've enjoyed most in the past were the ones where the Internationalists wore their country's national uniforms. In the old days, this not limited to Worlds and Olympics, but also most European meets. Something about the colors made it more exciting for me.

I remember writing a letter to T&FN openly asking the shoe companies/sponsors to have their athletes wear their companies' latest uniform style but for the Grand Prix/International races, to please make the uniforms the athlete's national colors. Since most countries have three colors, I still saw many opportunities for sponsors to be creative should they insist on the yearly style changes.

American red, white and blue...Kiwi all-black (white trim)...the old Soviet blood red...Oz yellow and green...Finn robin's egg blue and white...(sigh!).

Leave a comment:

• MJR
    replied

>What did JLo start running?? :S

Our version has been winning Olympic Gold for a number of years....

Leave a comment:

• bigmac
    replied

>Although, I will admit that there are some athletes who are easily recognized from the (their?) rear. ;'>

What did JLo start running?? :S

Leave a comment:

• MJR
    replied

If you'll notice, most of the GST Meets now put the athlete's name on their Bib instead of a number now. I'd suggest watching the athlete from the front in the future. Facial recognition is easier to make from that side. Although, I will admit that there are some athletes who are easily recognized from the (their?) rear. ;'>

Leave a comment:

• treven1
    replied

some of the distance runners have there names on there jerseys

Leave a comment:

• rmayes
    replied

They should at least put the athlete's name on the back or front of the jerseys, like virtually every single other professional sport that I can think of at this moment (Football, Soccer, Basketball, Hockey, Baseball).

Leave a comment:

• Paul
    started a topic Identical clothing does nothing to pomote our sport

Identical clothing does nothing to pomote our sport

Promoters please encourage athletes to be more easily identified .Surely the clothing manufacturers can produce athletic gear in different colours and designs. I must admit I found it very hard to follow a number of races last year -as there was often, 8 to 9 shaven headed runners ,packed together,all in identical clothing- with even the TV commentators unable to identify who was who,until after the race was finished . Identical clothing does nothing to promote our sport .
Working...
X