Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jordan Hasay Podcast

She discusses, amongst other things, her feelings about uninformed speculation by message board posters, and potential plans to turn pro before finishing college.

http://www.thefinalsprint.com/2008/09/t ... young-age/

Hasay thinking about turning Pro after a few school years?

Did anyone hear her say 'maybe after one or two years of college...?"
    She and hear coach / family have always made good decisions, contrary to what some have said / thought on other posts here.

I'm kinda thinking four years of school, maybe pulling a Galen Rupp her Senior year, is the best thing for any young runner?

Thoughts anyone? Am I too conservative?

Comment

i got the feeling she said maybe 1 or 2 years of college more to politely get the interviewer to leave her alone, get off her back with that question. the good thing about running is you can basically figure out where you stand by knowing your times.

i like her goal of getting the A standard in the 1500 which is 4:06 a very ambitious goal, but good to work towards, wether or not she gets it.

the ncaa is a great farm system for someone with pro aspirations.

there is a lot of talk on letsrun of her, german fernandez and others turning pro straight after high school and if the amounts that some of those posters say they could get, then they would be fools not to take it. (example i have read ridiculous posters say rupp was offered 16 million to turn pro, and 2:15 -2:20 marathoners from hansons get 70k to run a race, yet there best runner needs to work at home depot so obviously they dont make that much).

Comment

Originally posted by doug091463
        there is a lot of talk on letsrun of her, german fernandez and others turning pro straight after high school and if the amounts that some of those posters say they could get, then they would be fools not to take it. (example i have read ridiculous posters say rupp was offered 16 million to turn pro, and 2:15 -2:20 marathoners from hansons get 70k to run a race, yet there best runner needs to work at home depot so obviously they dont make that much).
        $16 million? That IS ridiculous.

I know nothing about the internal workings of Hansons, but if 2:15-2:20 guys are getting $70K to run a race, they're getting it from Hansons, not the race itself.

Comment

Methinks an extra zero slipped in there on the Hansons guys.

Comment

i suspect hasey would go the felix route, but ultimately the bigger question is who coaches her as she progresses..

twell is the youngster i'd give the money to..

http://iaaf.org/athletes/biographies/co ... index.html

Comment

Originally posted by az2004
              i suspect hasey would go the felix route, but ultimately the bigger question is who coaches her as she progresses..

twell is the youngster i'd give the money to..

http://iaaf.org/athletes/biographies/co ... index.html
              I suspect Hasay will NOT go the Felix route, one because Felix was world class while in HS. But she just turned 17, and Twell is 20 btw, so who knows what this next year will bring. If her 1500 times dips to the new A standard of 4:06 who knows.

I still think four years of college is the best for any young athlete.

And re: the comment about who coaches her I'd have to say she has a good one now. So my opinion is to go to a school where the philosophy is pretty much the same as what she's experiencing now. We've all seen great teen athletes do less than expected when they get to college before right?

Good luck to her on her decision!!

Comment

My sense is that Hasay does not see running as being her professional life. She has stated that she is interested in being a doctor and I think that she is a top student at a private, academic HS.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                  My sense is that Hasay does not see running as being her professional life. She has stated that she is interested in being a doctor and I think that she is a top student at a private, academic HS.
                  This is true. I'd forgotten hearing that. Pretty mature for a teenager. (More mature than I am now in fact! Kids these days!)

Whatever plans are it's certainly a pleasure watching her and other young runners these days. All the top Senior distance runners at California States last year are doing well. Ms. Chetelet got 4th at the Stanford XC last weekend. No small feat. And she was top Freshman and first Stanford runner as well in that race. Anyone know what how German Fernandez' season is going so far at Oklahoma State?

Comment

German was third this morning in the Cowboy Jamboree, leading Oklahoma State to an easy win over Northern Arizona. Results, and an SID release on the front page.

Comment

I just learned, by the way, that Hasay pronounces her last name Ha-SAY.... I'm embarrassed to note that we called her something between Hassie and Hass-eh throughout the OT (but nobody said a word to correct us).

Comment

I would hope the Hasays just take it one year at a time. As noted above, she is NOT even good enough (yet) to be a factor at Nationals, so what's the rush? If and when she demonstrates that she is an odds-on favorite to make a WC team, she needs to stay in college (preferably STANFORD!!)

Comment

She apparently has the grades to do Stanford.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            I don't care if she couldn't spell 'cat' if I spotted her the 'c' and the 'a'; I would personally burn down the Admissions Center if they didn't accept her! :evil:

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                              Originally posted by gh
                              I don't care if she couldn't spell 'cat' if I spotted her the 'c' and the 'a'; I would personally burn down the Admissions Center if they didn't accept her! :evil:
                              Yeah I favor Oregon and Stanford too but what about how different athletes respond to different coaching styles? Like I said earlier we've all seen Prep stars fizzle out and/or transfer out of their original college choices. Remember our man Webb? Left, what was it.. .Michigan?

Both Stanford and Oregon seem to like to stockpile and red shirt a lot. Good, bad, indifferent?

By the way she surfs too. What a great family!

Comment

Working...
                              X