Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gh
    replied
    And for anybody who might have wondered about such arcana... "Hasay" is of Czech derivation.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    I would hope the Hasays just take it one year at a time. As noted above, she is NOT even good enough (yet) to be a factor at Nationals, so what's the rush? If and when she demonstrates that she is an odds-on favorite to make a WC team, she needs to stay in college (preferably STANFORD!!)
    She made the Finals of the OTs, she can easily make the finals of the NCAAs as a frosh. I would bet money that she goes to my wife's alma mater (and Marlow would like that outcome, I think).

Leave a comment:

• carlosreyes2k
    replied
    Originally posted by Mellow Johnny
    Originally posted by carlosreyes2k
    Both Stanford and Oregon seem to like to stockpile and red shirt a lot. Good, bad, indifferent?
    Redshirting can't be a BAD thing. Five years on someone else's nickel to get a degree.
    And with 5 years, she would get started on her Master's on someone else's dime as well...

Man dimes ain't gonna matter when she goes pro!

Leave a comment:

• Mellow Johnny
    replied
    Both Stanford and Oregon seem to like to stockpile and red shirt a lot. Good, bad, indifferent?
    Redshirting can't be a BAD thing. Five years on someone else's nickel to get a degree.
    And with 5 years, she would get started on her Master's on someone else's dime as well...

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied

Leave a comment:

• carlosreyes2k
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    She apparently has the grades to do Stanford.
    I don't care if she couldn't spell 'cat' if I spotted her the 'c' and the 'a'; I would personally burn down the Admissions Center if they didn't accept her! :evil:
    Yeah I favor Oregon and Stanford too but what about how different athletes respond to different coaching styles? Like I said earlier we've all seen Prep stars fizzle out and/or transfer out of their original college choices. Remember our man Webb? Left, what was it.. .Michigan?

By the way she surfs too. What a great family!

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    I don't care if she couldn't spell 'cat' if I spotted her the 'c' and the 'a'; I would personally burn down the Admissions Center if they didn't accept her! :evil:

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    I would hope the Hasays just take it one year at a time. As noted above, she is NOT even good enough (yet) to be a factor at Nationals, so what's the rush? If and when she demonstrates that she is an odds-on favorite to make a WC team, she needs to stay in college (preferably STANFORD!!)

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    I just learned, by the way, that Hasay pronounces her last name Ha-SAY.... I'm embarrassed to note that we called her something between Hassie and Hass-eh throughout the OT (but nobody said a word to correct us).

Leave a comment:

• dl
    replied
    German was third this morning in the Cowboy Jamboree, leading Oklahoma State to an easy win over Northern Arizona. Results, and an SID release on the front page.

Leave a comment:

• carlosreyes2k
    replied
    Originally posted by 26mi235
    My sense is that Hasay does not see running as being her professional life. She has stated that she is interested in being a doctor and I think that she is a top student at a private, academic HS.
    This is true. I'd forgotten hearing that. Pretty mature for a teenager. (More mature than I am now in fact! Kids these days!)

Whatever plans are it's certainly a pleasure watching her and other young runners these days. All the top Senior distance runners at California States last year are doing well. Ms. Chetelet got 4th at the Stanford XC last weekend. No small feat. And she was top Freshman and first Stanford runner as well in that race. Anyone know what how German Fernandez' season is going so far at Oklahoma State?

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    My sense is that Hasay does not see running as being her professional life. She has stated that she is interested in being a doctor and I think that she is a top student at a private, academic HS.

Leave a comment:

• carlosreyes2k
    replied
    Originally posted by az2004
    i suspect hasey would go the felix route, but ultimately the bigger question is who coaches her as she progresses..

twell is the youngster i'd give the money to..

http://iaaf.org/athletes/biographies/co ... index.html
    I suspect Hasay will NOT go the Felix route, one because Felix was world class while in HS. But she just turned 17, and Twell is 20 btw, so who knows what this next year will bring. If her 1500 times dips to the new A standard of 4:06 who knows.

I still think four years of college is the best for any young athlete.

And re: the comment about who coaches her I'd have to say she has a good one now. So my opinion is to go to a school where the philosophy is pretty much the same as what she's experiencing now. We've all seen great teen athletes do less than expected when they get to college before right?

Good luck to her on her decision!!

Leave a comment:

• az2004
    replied
    i suspect hasey would go the felix route, but ultimately the bigger question is who coaches her as she progresses..

twell is the youngster i'd give the money to..

http://iaaf.org/athletes/biographies/co ... index.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X