Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brooks Johnson says Beijing drops not a factor...

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brooks Johnson says Beijing drops not a factor...

... in his resignation from High Performance

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics ... oach_N.htm

"Coaching and consulting"? That's a laugh. I'd bet the farm he was asked to resign or be fired. The remaining stench leftover from the Masback regime will be purged, as well. Change is coming.

Comment

Originally posted by malmo
      "Coaching and consulting"? That's a laugh.
      We can only hope he'll be "coaching and consulting" the Jamaicans.
      There are no strings on me

Comment

I am not convinced we can place the OG 4x1 debacles on BJ, but it certainly can't hurt to start afresh with someone new. It's not like they can get worse.

I have no doubt he can coach well at the elite level, but apparently he has other 'issues'.

Comment

He had made HIS decision long before some folks decided this year encompassed his and our entire relay legacy.
          Under Brooks we have seen a relay program developed, implemented and executed. Last year we walked away with all four golds. In 2003 we won the gold without the top THREE 100m sprinters that summer. It is important to note that while he takes full responsibility for the results good and bad, the most disappointing results have been in the Olympic years where he has less control not more.
          Personal gripes aside let' not start distorting the truth. You do not have to like him but respect his work for what it really is not what you wish it to be.

And while you are sitting there feeling good, think hard about who possibly could be his successor and what will happen now.

Comment

Legacy

You obviously have personal insight on the subject. You also are entitled to your opinion.

However, many of us have our personal experiences and are also entitled to our opinions. Yours do not change what I have seen first hand.

The man would tell constantly, that Olympic Gold is only what matters. However, post Beijing, it got revised to getting on the podium and not golds? He is also fond of using "athlete centered, science based, coach driven"
            Yet, he and many underlings would struggle to pass a bio or physics test. He and his fellows do not hold a Coaches Ed certificate and for years have fought that program. How can you insist upon science and be against science in the next breath?

While he had qualities, he was also the root source of many problems.
            Sexist, raceist, consistantly devisive, an ego always pointed at self-serving decision making, he drove many good people out of the sport or at a minimum, out of USATF.

"What will happen now" belies the fact that there are those who have a higher coaching ability and omni- holistic understanding and love of our sport. Yes, like in any organization the wrong person could take over but you are kidding yourself if you believe there are not many who could step in right now and do at least as well results-wise while vastly improving the culture.

If we are at all lucky, all the other similar individuals in the inner circle will move on as well. Not one would be functional in any corporation in this country given their demonstrated evils. Many over the past years have been forced out of their college positions or better still, some headed a US team only to return stateside and been sent packing by their full time job. Or do you think Orin left U W for the N. Mexico climate?

Comment

Baton Exchange!

After the 4x400 in the Olympics a lot of people kept saying that the American sprinters exchanged the baton safely like it was a major feat; nobody drops the baton in the 4x400. Now, in the 4x100...

Comment

coachclean I hear you believe it or not. However, nothing you said had a thing to do with his operating, and developing the high performance program.
                I have no doubt there are those ready, willing and able to step up and step in, I am one, but that is not my point. I get tired of the "run em down" attitude of many things these days. The man did a damn good job. His personality is what it is, some got offended, oh well, he was the man needed to drive through all the egos and politics to get the job done. As I said, I am not about to sit here and let the 2008 fiasco define what he did overall.
                As he pointed out, this is the most practiced squad we have ever had. The baton exchange was not missed, the stick was in the outgoing runners hand on both drops. So there is nothing there by way of preparation. The relay program is a good one given our special parameters and dynamics. It will get better and improve, but far from the mess some like to write about.
                I am interested to see who the successor will be, this should be fun.
                Oh and I am in no way discounting your personal experiences at all

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke
                  As he pointed out, this is the most practiced squad we have ever had. The baton exchange was not missed, the stick was in the outgoing runners hand on both drops.
                  Yep, a problem that would not have occured using an upsweep pass, especially effective for safety. I haven't had a 4x1 or 4x2 of mine drop a stick in 8 years of bringing it up. But American squads would never think of using the upsweep.

And therein lies the rub. The old school way of thinking says downsweep all the way - free distance advantage dontcha know(and not necessarily true). Nevermind batons hitting the deck. Simply a cost of doing business.

We need someone willing to think outside the box. That most certainly was not Johnson.

Comment

Up sweep? Unless you have absolute dominance of speed you are going to lose. And yes dropping the stick is the cost of doing business, just like hitting a hurdle.

And old school is the upsweep, That is not outside the box, that is safe and no frills.Not to mention you are talking about teaching a technique very few in this country have ever done in their life. And you are worried about safe passes? Limited practice time, new technique equals big trouble

Comment

Up sweep? Unless you have absolute dominance of speed you are going to lose.

From personal experience I can tell you that is not true.

Comment

Might that depend on how fast you're going? Is it possible that what works well for high school kids running 42-43's is not necessarily best when you're pros running in the 37's?

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                          Might that depend on how fast you're going? Is it possible that what works well for high school kids running 42-43's is not necessarily best when you're pros running in the 37's?

Worked fine for the French in their 1990 WR.

Comment

Originally posted by guru
                            Up sweep? Unless you have absolute dominance of speed you are going to lose.

From personal experience I can tell you that is not true.
                            Ditto. Another vote for the upsweep. We were winning races passing upsweep blind in both 4x1 and 4x4 sixty years ago. True, we were not running 37s but we were running 39s, which was competitive in those cinder tracks and leather shoe days.

Comment

Originally posted by guru
                              Originally posted by tandfman
                              Worked fine for the French in their 1990 WR.
                              IIRC, those guys had a been together as a team for some time, and had lots of opportunities to get the stick around the track with the same four men in the same order, both in training and in competition. Our 4x1 national teams never have anywhere near that kind of experience. That might make a difference, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X