Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brooks Johnson says Beijing drops not a factor...

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tandfman
    Originally posted by gh
    I can't think of a better way to kill off potential 100 and 200 medals than to make a Tyson Gay go through 8 rounds of the 100 and 200 (oh,wait, he didn't make that this year did he?) and then tack more relay stuff on the end.

These guys need fewer races, not more.
    So you would have him attempt that for the first time at the Olympic Games? I'm not sure that's such a good idea.
    That would make it appear that you subscribe to a theory that more races make sprinters tougher. I view them as more chances for delicate racing engines to blow up.

Remember also that adding relay duty tightens the timeframe. The 100/200 double at the OT was spread over 8 days; at the OG it's down to 7. So in addition to adding races at the OT, you'd also be forcing a timetable change which would make the 100/200 double tighter. Not smart.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
      Originally posted by guru
      Originally posted by MJR
      There is a much simpler solution. Make actual relay teams compete in the trials.
      Gee, that's a wonderful idea! :wink:
      The only exception, as I noted earlier in this thread and elsewhere, would be to have the relay trials away from the "normal" Trials meet, perhaps at one of the big early season relay carnivals.
      No, it's not a great idea. A sprint doubler would simply have too much on his/her plate, especially considering that the OT is arguably tougher than the OG. We don't need to eat our young just before the Games.

We also don't know who's 'in form' till the END of the OT. But then it IS appropriate to get them together and practice and RUN IN MEETS!. (JMHO)
      Agreed Marlow.

Why would you hold a seperate meet at one of the EARLY season carnivals (i.e. Texas Relays or Penn Relays)? That is the BEGINNING of the season for most when they aren't even close to peak position and it's typically one of the first meets for most of the elite sprinters (BEFORE they've even run any individual events in any given year).

And to MJR's other idiotic thought ("Have the 8 best relay teams in each event race in a final on the final day of the meet, winner takes all, just like in the Games.")...

8 best relay teams in each event? How do you pick the 8 relay teams? How do you pick the which 32 people get to compete on them?

Keep in mind, if they aren't competing at Team competition, they're competing in their respective shoe company's attire. So do you run all adidas vs. all Nike relay(s)? Do you mix them? Laugh if you want but this is a factor too under your proposed way to select a "final" relay MJR. To my knowledge, Penn Relays is a Nike sponsored event (please correct me if I'm wrong...I can't be 100% sure on this one).

You can easily have loaded relays with a few more than capable people on a less than stellar relay and then you haven't solved anything. Just look at the women's side of things and say you trot out a lineup of Muna Lee-Allyson Felix-Lauryn Williams-Torri Edwards as was expected for the finals of OGs this year. They'd probably beat anyone else. So you're effectively saying to the Bianca Knight, Marshevet Hooker, Angela Williams, Michelle Lewis, Miki and/or Lisa Barber and others - all of whom could possibly perform as well if not better than the previously mentioned - that they aren't good enough to be on a relay because they weren't fortunate enough to be one of the fastest relays.

And then how do you address having to run Heats and Finals at OGs if you ONLY select one relay? Remember...6 people run in the two heats with only two subs allowed. If winner takes all, what about the other 2 necessary spots that need to be filled?

I could go on and on about how this would not work but fact of the matter is this seperate meet/adding relay competition as an event to qualify for OGs is unrealistic and to be blunt, ridiculous and almost impossible.

Comment

TexSpeed has nailed a lot of the problems right on the head here.

The other thing that people don't consider is that compared to most other nations, the U.S. has sprinters spread out training over an area many times the size of those other nations. The logistics of pulling all the sprinters together in a European country, for example, involves little more than jumping on a train and within a few hours you're all together. At minimal cost.

Comment

Just realized, you guys are delusional. WE DO NOT HAVE 8 RELAY TEAMS. lol This would be a three team race at best, which is what we have now anyway. 8-12 sprinters in the pool to get the best 4 out there.

Comment

The SMTC fielded some damn good relay teams over the years. So did HSI. Many of their athletes also were in the individual events too. there were years that each of these relays would have smoked any other assembled national team. I believe SMTC even set a few WRs. In a sprint rich country like ours, there is just no reason that 4 men cannot train together & practice baton passes enough to win 1 domestic race and qualify for the OG. Our system right now is a crap shoot. Just because someone wins one race, does not mean they have earned a relay spot. That is patently absurd. No other event group gets a free event thrown at them just for a good individual performance. We have proven it so many times that 4 fast people does not make a good relay. Stop living in a rose colored garden, reminiscing about the good old days. This crap simply doesn't work anymore with enough certainty to permit it to continue. Stopping the selection of relays also removes the last bit of politics from team selection process and truly puts it into the hands & feet of the athletes, where it belongs.

Comment

Originally posted by MJR
              We have proven it so many times that 4 fast people does not make a good relay.
              But the problem is that we have also proven that we can win by taking the 6 fastest guys from the OT 100 final and win easily with OK stick-passing. Yes, we need the fastest guys. How stupid is it to pass up taking the fastest guys you can get? The solution is to simply make them run in more tune-up meets with good competition. That will expose weaknesses better than ANY other method.

Comment

MJR if you think we can put together a 4x100 before trials that can run 37 flat I have this to say. They will be dominated by the top 4 or 6 sprinters at trials. So whats the difference!!!!! Have you forgotten, that the entire team is eligible for the relay pool?????
                There is no point in having A relay team. Our system is fine. we have made the adjustments that will get us the four fastest and best relay out there. Dropping the stick is not a sign we picked the wrong guys. That is the point. You cannot support your argument against say GBR or Brazil or a few other teams that dropped the stick.

Comment

Originally posted by MJR
                  The SMTC fielded some damn good relay teams over the years. So did HSI. Many of their athletes also were in the individual events too. there were years that each of these relays would have smoked any other assembled national team. I believe SMTC even set a few WRs. In a sprint rich country like ours, there is just no reason that 4 men cannot train together & practice baton passes enough to win 1 domestic race and qualify for the OG. Our system right now is a crap shoot. Just because someone wins one race, does not mean they have earned a relay spot. That is patently absurd. No other event group gets a free event thrown at them just for a good individual performance. We have proven it so many times that 4 fast people does not make a good relay. Stop living in a rose colored garden, reminiscing about the good old days. This crap simply doesn't work anymore with enough certainty to permit it to continue. Stopping the selection of relays also removes the last bit of politics from team selection process and truly puts it into the hands & feet of the athletes, where it belongs.
                  How can you in one breath talk about SMTC and HSI in the PAST and then in the next breath say "stop living in a rose colored garden, reminiscing about the good old days." That's a direct contradiction of what you're trying to convey.

SMTC also had some of the fastest folks around at the time as well as HSI. Point is they all trained in the SAME PLACE.

Take a look at where some of our fastest men are:
                  Tyson - fall in Florida, spring/summer in Arlington, TX
                  Dix - Florida
                  Patton - Arlington, TX
                  Padgett - South Carolina

Women:
                  Torri - California
                  Muna - College Station, TX
                  Lauryn - Florida
                  Marshevet - Arlington, TX
                  Allyson - California

Where do you think they're all gonna meet up?

More times than not the fastest runners are going to end up on the relay ANYWAY...it's a matter of them getting enough work and chemistry between one another to get the stick around successfully. There's politcs in all relay selections in MANY countries. Problem is 97% of the countries in the world (if not more) don't have enough fast options for it to be an issue.

You should probably bow out of this one MJR...you're not making much sense on this one....

Comment

the size of U.S. geography can indeed be a daunting factor in any attempts to forge a "national team"

Comment

There are no strings on me

Comment

Working...
                      X