Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Indoor meets in yards.

>The big problem is a competence of announcers...

use the MUTE button...it
    >prevents a lot of angst when you hear the idiotic statements....

AGREED!

Comment

To Asterix: I couldn't disagree more. Americans have always wanted to have their sports comparable to the rest of the world? The answer is NO. The most popular sports here--baseball and football--are exactly those that ARE NOT played in very many other countries. The "popularity" of soccer in this country is a good case in point: the world's most popular game is a near nonentity here. It would be nice if you were right, but you most assuredly are not.

Comment

>To Asterix: I couldn't disagree more. Americans have always wanted to have
        >their sports comparable to the rest of the world? The answer is NO. The most
        >popular sports here--baseball and football--are exactly those that ARE NOT
        >played in very many other countries. The "popularity" of soccer in this
        >country is a good case in point: the world's most popular game is a near
        >nonentity here. It would be nice if you were right, but you most assuredly are
        >not.

I think there's a difference with respect to baseball/football in that those sports are not played elsewhere (at least to any relevant extent) and there is no global championships. Track is probably the ultimate universal sport with standardized distances and international titles to be won. In that situation, especially given the objectivity of track, I would think fans would like to see where their stars rank in the world. Obviously there is a problem on the distance side, but American sprinters have decent shots at being able to claim the "fastest man in the world" title and that is bestoyed on either the Olympic champ or the world record holder in the 100m, not the 100 yards.

Soccer too, I don't think is relevant to this issue. The issue we're working over here is whether one should follow the standardized competition rules/distances, or make up your own bastardized variation. Running meets in yards would do that for track and further make it irrelevant for the American sporting public.

Comment

Working...
        X