• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Pego

• Pego
    replied
    Re: Indoor meets in yards.

Larry Rawson has treated us like idiots for years. Anothher highly irritating thing (at least for me) is how he butchers east European names. Drives me up the wall.

Leave a comment:

• Conway

• Conway
    replied
    Re: Indoor meets in yards.

Simply because "announcers" continue to make weak attempts at converting metric distances, does NOT mean that the public DOESN'T understand them ....

The assumption is that the public doesn't understand .. Or won't watch .. Or can't convert ... Reality is as long as those who provide them with coverage ACT AS IF IT IS A BIG DEAL, we will probably never really know ..

Announcers ACT as if John Q public is an idiot ... And end up looking like idiots themselves in the process ... Why not just announce the meets and see where THAT leads to ???

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary

• Conor Dary
    started a topic Indoor meets in yards.

Indoor meets in yards.

As the now infamous Boston telecast has shown the American public does not understand metric and never will. As Kuha pointed out, the events covered on TV were, as quoted:

1. 'Almost a half-mile'

2. 'Something close to 2 mile'. If anyone understood LR's explanation, please enlighten me.

3. 'Track's version of the 40 yard dash'

and so on.

What I propose is having the indoor meets in this country run in yards Why not a meet with the 40 yard dash, the half-mile, the mile, the 2 mile? Hey they are even bringing back the 600 yard race!

Sure we can't compare our times to Europe but, hey, do we really want to anymore?

GH is always babbling about pure racing. Well here is our chance to do something about it.
Working...
X