Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comebacks for 2009

We had some comebacks for 2008, are there any for 2009?

Two athletes who had their Olympic preparation ruined by injury are attempting a comeback for 2009: Bianca Kappler and Ulrike Urbansky. Both athletes are now 31 and obviously want to appear on home turf in Berlin 09.

Kappler was 5th in the 07 world LJ final and was running into superb form this summer, until she snapped her achilles at the German champs. The injury has been healing well though and she will be back in full training in January.

Urbansky injured her foot in April but is now officially back in full training. She has stated she initially wanted to retire at 32 but after missing Beijing she will carry on.

Kappler is a good outside bet for a medal, if she can recover. Urbansky on the other hand will just be looking to make the national team. From a promising beginning (world junior medal in 96 and great 4x4 in 98 world cup) she has often been the reason why Germany have run so poorly in 4x4s in recent years!

Has there ever been a athlete who set a national record and then the following year couldnt make his olympic team? Alan Webb.
    phsstt!

Comment

Franka Dietzsch naturally aims for Berlin next year, but also said that it isn't impossible that she competes in 2012 in London :shock: .

And 2009 will see the comeback of the goddess of sprint ... the one and only Sina Schielke after her baby break. If she's for once lucky to stay injury free, she could give the home crowd something to cheer on the track.

Comment

werknesh kidane on sunday at the great north run got 10th place in 1:12 it was her first race in 3 years after having 2 kids, i hope the time and place does not discourage her in her comeback.

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
          Has there ever been a athlete who set a national record and then the following year couldnt make his olympic team? Alan Webb.
          doesn't count...he is a record-setter in a non-olympic event.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinafan
            Franka Dietzsch naturally aims for Berlin next year, but also said that it isn't impossible that she competes in 2012 in London :shock: .

And 2009 will see the comeback of the goddess of sprint ... the one and only Sina Schielke after her baby break. If she's for once lucky to stay injury free, she could give the home crowd something to cheer on the track.
            That's great. I also enjoy watching Franka and it would be silly to retire, considering the dearth of 65m throwers at the moment.

Jana Rawlinson is another athlete who will be returning from injury.
            http://www.iaaf.org/WCH09/news/kind=103 ... 47965.html

Hopefully Jessica Ennis will be back in shape next year.
            http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

US athletes due for 'comeback':

Gay
              JW (I really don't think it was the CH thing - there was something else going on - no diss to LM who earned his gold)
              AW - duh
              AJ - or is he done?
              Phillips!
              WDavis (?)
              Greer!

Comment

Originally posted by skyin' brian
                doesn't count...he is a record-setter in a non-olympic event.
                Oh, i see? :shock:
                phsstt!

Comment

Dan Lincoln was close, timing was not directly to an Olympic year. Of course, here, injury was a key part (plus that DR thing).

Comment

I'm excited about Marina Kuptsova's recent announcement [see homepage]! :lol:

Also expect Jana Rawlinson to have a go, although frankly, she'll find it more than difficult to compete with 52.6!

Comment

David Klech??

Comment

From a friend who was in Eugene for the cross last weekend:

<<David Klech is getting ready for his first season of eligibility at Oregon. He is likely to do the indoor heptathlon, but outdoors will be an intermediate hurdler, not a decathlete.>>

Comment

Jeff Hartwig failed to make the Olympic Team in the same year he set his outdoor American Record.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
                            Jeff Hartwig failed to make the Olympic Team in the same year he set his outdoor American Record.
                            ...and then waited until losing said record to make the team again.

Comment

I am going to say "out with old headlines and in with the news". I am going to talk about athletes that have given us a small preview of their full potential this year and will be on fire for 2009. These are my four picks and the one other that I uncomfortably will admit, shall be making storms:

1) Bianca Knight
                              2) A.K. Kahmis
                              3) Kerron Stewart
                              4) Sally MacLellan

5) Walter Dix

Comment

Working...
                              X