Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim Mack book ''Above and Beyond''

All: This is forwarded from Bubba Sparks. A similar message appears on the Tim Mack book thread in the usa elite section on the polevaultpower web site. Bubba is having computer problems, and he wanted his comments forwarded to this site so the book could perhaps get a wider readership outside the pole vault community.

His comments follow:

I recently received my copy of Bill Livingston’s ''Above and Beyond,'' about the unlikely rise to a 2004 Olympic gold medal for pole vaulter Tim Mack. I bought the book in advance of release because I know Tim and have been involved in pole vaulting since I was 12 - I’m 55.

Well, I got to the Maine coast last night for our annual vacation and just finished this outstanding book tonight. WOW!!! Great story told by a great author who provides much background on his subject and the event itself. I was moved often as he describes this incredible journey and tremendous mental and physical discipline required of Tim. The insight of his coach, the great Jim Bemiller was invaluable.

I remember in the mid 90s when Tim visited our place at UC Irvine with Dave Johnston (DJ). I thought he looked pretty good but Mike Tully said to me, "Tim won't ever be a great vaulter until he fixes his run". I thought that was his strength but in the brilliant minds of guys like Tully, DJ, and "B", they were seeing the future 10 years in advance.

This is a must read for any of us (regardless of sport) who have had goals that no one else believed in. What a remarkable story of a dream come true. Enjoy.

Doug “Bubba” Sparks

Dave Johnston aka Dave Johnson?

Still haven't read the book (but will). However, the bits I've read in the paper were great reading.

Comment

Working...
    X