Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sub 2 hour 26er in 7 years says science dude?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub 2 hour 26er in 7 years says science dude?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: yeah that makes sense. 40 years to improve 4 mins and then 7 years to improve another 4 mins. :roll:
    phsstt!

Squack, I am ashamed of you. That was a man of SCIENCE who said that! Are you a man of science? Yeah, I thought not! Just keep your ignorant comments to yourself. :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
      Squack, I am ashamed of you. That was a man of SCIENCE who said that! Are you a man of science? Yeah, I thought not! Just keep your ignorant comments to yourself. :twisted:
      That science dude should go back to the lab and slice open a freakin frog, ok. Leave track to the track scientists, and i is one. :P
      phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
        Leave track to the track scientists, and i is one. :P
        Sorry, SQUACKEE, you're shooting at the wrong target. The scientist in question is Dr. David Martin, a physiologist who is one of the most widely respected "track scientists" in the world. He has done more research on marathon running than anyone else I know of. He may prove be wrong, of course, but he is not a guy who is out of his field speaking out of ignorance. Far from it.

Edited to fix typo.

Comment

Normally I'd chalk this up to same bad use of numbers that leads to "women will be faster than men in marathon by year x...." but this is Dave Martin, whose involvement with high-end running goes back many a year. So I give his point of view some credence. (but really, not much!)

Comment

No disrespect to the doc but its not gonna happen, not in 7 years.

Not because i know more than the doc but because it makes no sense,.I dont care what his numbers say.

If he said 20-25 years i might consider it.

The greatest distance runner of our time with perfect weather, a fast course and an army of pacers ran a time that the doc suggests would have to be considered mediorce in 7 years.

Other than the fact that its impossible i have no problem with it.
            phsstt!

Comment

Until Bekele tries a marathon, I won't say sub 2 hours is impossible.

Or perhaps the science behind the claim is related to some supermice in a laboratory currently testing some new wonder drug...

Comment

No disrespect to the doc but its not gonna happen, not in 7 years.
                I will win Pego's bet about the 2.50 HJ before someone goes sub-2. It WILL indeed happen, but 4 minutes better then Geb any time soon? Nah.

Comment

It took several million years for humans to evolve to their present imperfection. Some geneticists theorize that humans are mutants of Neanderthals but, if so, the overlap was at least 30,000 years.

It will, IMO, require a mutant to break 2 hours in the marathon, Maybe there is one among us but seems he/she should be showing up on the radar now if it is going to happen within seven years

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                    It took several million years for humans to evolve to their present imperfection. Some geneticists theorize that humans are mutants of Neanderthals but, if so, the overlap was at least 30,000 years.

It will, IMO, require a mutant to break 2 hours in the marathon, Maybe there is one among us but seems he/she should be showing up on the radar now if it is going to happen within seven years
                    It is quite possible that the mutant is tending cattle or sheep or digging holes to plant his family's crops somewhere in east africa right now, but has not had the opportunity of a Geb or Bekele. Just think, there's a differnet kind of mutant who was dancing and running around Jamaica until recently. They're out there....we just have to find them.

Comment

Sub 2? Why not. 23 years ago, Steve Jones ran a marathon like no one else has at that level. He ran as hard as he could for as long as he could, running 1:01:42 and 1:35:22. And on his own. He still ran 2:07 finishing on Lake Shore Drive, and not knowing the time. Jonesy was a 27:40 10k guy. When some 26:20 guy does the same thing, then we will get down to 2:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
                        When some 26:20 guy does the same thing, then we will get down to 2:00.
                        Are you saying that 26:20 equals a1:59.59 marathon?
                        phsstt!

Comment

Other than the fact that its impossible i have no problem with it.
                          I hear where you're coming from.

But we have to remember that it really wasn't all that long ago that a 4-minute mile was "beyond the capabilities of a human" and now someone has run 3:43.

That's 17 seconds faster over 4 laps which is simply astonishing. Given, that's over a significantly larger amount of time than 7 years.

My first thought is to say "impossible" but then to tell anyone pre-Bannister that a human would run 3:43 would likely have gotten you locked up in an insane asylum.
                          "Long may you run"- Neil Young

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
                            When some 26:20 guy does the same thing, then we will get down to 2:00.
                            Are you saying that 26:20 equals a1:59.59 marathon?
                            That certainly does not. I would say it equals 25:00 in 10k.

The 2:00 marathon is like a 4-minute mile at the beginning of 20th century. It is reachable, not in 7 years though, but rather in 70 years.

Comment

i am almost always overly optimisic about great times that can be achieved as i belive we are still in the infancy stage of putting what is the best training plan together and i dont belive we know the full level of how far humans can be developed.

there will need to be a MAJOR breakthrough in training and of course the person who can do this will have to be an anomaly.

also the person will need to have perfect running genes. some top prospects could be musa and nathaniel gebremariam the 2 and 3 year old babies of worknesh kidane and gebre gebremariam. and if tirunesh dibaba and sileshi sihine have a boy.

wow putting that kind of pressure on 2 and 3 year olds and unborns not even in the making ye to run times thought to be impossiblet. i have been spending too much time on letsrun, i am making all the posters that want jordan hasay and german fernandez to set multiple world records and win many gold medals look reasonable lol.javascript:emoticon('')

Comment

Working...
                              X