Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are my times anygood?

hey. my name is Hannah. and i am a 15 year old freshmen..in Colorado. i was just wondering if any of my times were any good for my age. keep in mind that all of these records were in 8th grade.
    1600- 5:50
    800- 2:36
    200-26.67
    100-13.25
    LJ 15'2"
    also i was wondering if anybody would have some tips on getting muscle back into my calves after having stress fractures during cross country. please email me with any suggestions. [email protected]
    thank you all.. i have dreams to go big.
    HannaH

Re: are my times anygood?

Hannah, for altatude (and your age) the 800 and 1600 times are pretty good. I have no idea about where to get sports medicine advise, but I am sure there are people on this site who can point you to such information. Keep at it!

Comment

Hannah, you appear to have a wide range of ability and with that I would not limit yourself to any specific event yet. Additionally, without having any knowledge of your training, it is particularly difficult to assess where you are at. That being said, I would continue to work on your speed because the endurance will come over time. As far as stengthening exercises for your calves, I would talk to your track coach and/or the strengh/condiitoning coach, they should be able to direct you in the right direction. Lastly, make sure you continue to enjoy the sport and good things will come to you. Good Luck with your career and hope you attain your dreams and hope to see you on the big stage in a few years.

Comment

Yes, your times show great promise. Jeff Williams who attended LACC and later Praire View in Texas, started his sprinting career at 14 with unspectacular times. At 18 his best time in the 200 meters was 22.5 sec. at 22yrs 21.6. Well, to make a long story short, Jeff williams placed 4th at 1996 Olympic finals with the 5th best recorded time in history 19.69sec. It's not where you start.

Comment

>Yes, your times show great promise. Jeff Williams who attended LACC and later
          >Praire View in Texas, started his sprinting career at 14 with unspectacular
          >times. At 18 his best time in the 200 meters was 22.5 sec. at 22yrs 21.6. Well,
          >to make a long story short, Jeff williams placed 4th at 1996 Olympic finals
          >with the 5th best recorded time in history 19.69sec. It's not where you start.
          >

I seriously hope that post was a joke. The first part may be true, but pretty much none of the last part is true.

Jeff Williams finished 5th in that race......in 20.17.........where on earth did you come up with 19.69???

Comment

Hannah, your times and distances are well above average. Continue practicing hard, eating right and maintain your'e grades and I would go as far as saying, that many colleges in this country would love to reserve a dorm room for you as well as pay your tuition for 4 years, not to mention a high quality of education in the field of YOUR choice and the best training techniques to enhance your GOD-given talents to the fullest.
            Many Blessings
            JLightnin'

Comment

Ditto, Hannah... but don't worry about putting muscles back on your calves, that will come when you resume training. Be a lot more concerned with figuring out what caused the stress fractures to begin with. Sit down with a coach or coaches you trust and talk about diet, quantity of training, type of training, running mechanics, etc. Identify what might have been the sources of the injury and adopt new training techniques, see how they work and stay open and flexible to new ideas. And most of all keep having fun doing it all.

Comment

[quantity of training, type of training]

That is so right! Sometimes it's wise to allow your body time to recuperate especially if ypu may be involved in cross-country, indoor track, spring and summer meets. However, if you take a break, stay true to eating right.

Comment

Hi Hannah, Keep up the good work. Keep in mind having fun is the most important thing in track. It looks like you already have a good foundation.

At age of 14 I ran the 800m in 2:11. To run this I did a lot of interval work on the track 3 to 4 x a week. ( I had the same coach as Little Mary Decker ) I suggest on Mondays, Tuesday and Thursday - 20 min warmup, stretch, 10x100 meters sprints, 3x250m one fresh one good speed, 2x600m good speed with 200m jog rest inbetween, 6 x 150m one fresh on good speed - 50m rest, 1x 400 meters hard speed at the end of work out. You can alternate the 250's for 300's and the 600's you should include 800's and 1000' and 1200's. Inbetween all sets only a 200m jog recover. Warm down- 800m with 10x100m sprints

Wednesday and Friday- 2 miles easy, 10x100 sprints, Saturday 2 to 3 mile tempo run, Sunday Warm up and 10x150's.

Train in flats most of the time - no need to be concerned about times in training. Good effort and consistancy is key to success on the track.

PS. Always run inside yourself. Keep focus on breath or your rythem. You cannot control others on the track. Every minute is a new opportunity to achieve something you want.

Have a great time running.

Comment

Bison, I stand corected... On both items. I believe the 19.69 I refered to was a wind aided effort. And of course the 5th place finish. While I have your ear, any word on Justin Gatlin? I understand he left Tennesee under protest of asthma medication he was fined by the NCAA for taking, and the last I heard he suffered a small injury. Any further word?

Comment

Sorry, I don't have any real information on Gatlin. He did have a pretty successful outdoor season, but, as far as how things are going now, I haven't a clue, unfortunately........

Comment

Oh, by the way, Williams ran no faster than 19.87 legally, and his fastest wind-aided time was 20.07.

Leroy Burrell is #2 all-time all-conditions with his 19.61w. MJ ran a 19.70w, good for #2 all-time wind-aided.

Comment

>I suggest
                          >on Mondays, Tuesday and Thursday - 20 min warmup, stretch, 10x100 meters
                          >sprints, 3x250m one fresh one good speed, 2x600m good speed with 200m jog rest
                          >inbetween, 6 x 150m one fresh on good speed - 50m rest, 1x 400 meters hard
                          >speed at the end of work out. You can alternate the 250's for 300's and the
                          >600's you should include 800's and 1000' and 1200's. Inbetween all sets only a
                          >200m jog recover. Warm down- 800m with 10x100m sprints

Wednesday and Friday-
                          >2 miles easy, 10x100 sprints, Saturday 2 to 3 mile tempo run, Sunday Warm up
                          >and 10x150's.

Don't you think that this is too much work for a 14 year old?

Comment

Don't you think that this is too much work for a 14 year old?

I ran those workouts and ran great. A bunch of other girls ran fantasic - not including Mary. A teammate of mine ran a 2:13 800 as a 12 year old (AR). Another (AR)for a 12 year old - 4:54 mile - she broke Mary's (AR).

Our goals were very high.

Comment

I'm interested to hear how the careers of the non-Mary's went. To me that schedule is very harsh for such a young girl. IMHO when you start in T&F it should be fun. Mess about with a bunch of events, use training nights as social functions, take nothing that seriously, slowly find what your best event is, develop a love for the sport. Then go for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X