Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: are my times anygood?

Hey, Hannah! Read everything posted here with interest, but don't go running any particular recommended work outs. What others do or did has no bearing on you or what you ought to do. Find yourself a knowledgeable coach who puts your well-being first and have fun.

Comment

>>I'm interested to hear how the careers of the non-Mary's went. To me
      >that
      >schedule is very harsh for such a young girl. IMHO when you start in T&F
      >it
      >should be fun. Mess about with a bunch of events, use training nights as
      >social
      >functions, take nothing that seriously, slowly find what your best
      >event is,
      >develop a love for the sport. Then go for it.

I think this
      >advice is great for some, but not for everyone. When I was 14 I already knew
      >exactly what I wanted to do in track and field, was very serious about
      >training, worked very hard, and loved every second of it! Different approaches
      >for different temperaments.

Comment

Whoops, re: the last post.

I cringe when I see young athletes in any sports focusing, or being focused by their parents, at a young age. That is not what childhood should be about. I firmly believe that young T&F enthusiasts should be encouraged to "play" with multiple events and simply enjoy the experience. Look at tennis as an example, how many burn-outs have we seen there? Especially with young girls. Of course it relates to the individual. You made a choice at a young age that you eventually wanted to be an "oldvaulter" (!). I did the same. However, I knew I could jump when I was 12 but enjoyed playing many other sports and didn't commit to T&F until I was about 18.

Comment

Again I stand corrected... Man, you are good! Any idea where that puts him on the all-time list? Also, are you an Ex or current athelete,or just an astute follower of track and field? It sound like all of the above..

Comment

oldvaulter is being very modest. All he did was become national HS record holder !!!!

And oldvaulter you are really being too modest when you say you were not a natural athlete. Give yourself some credit for ability in addition to all the hard work you put in. No one becomes national HS record holder in any event without being a natural athlete to quite some degree, but this is particularly true in the PV.

Comment

>Again I stand corrected... Man, you are good! Any idea where that puts him on
              >the all-time list? Also, are you an Ex or current athelete,or just an astute
              >follower of track and field? It sound like all of the above..

Haha, thanks. I'm all of the above. I'm kind of in a transition from "current" to "ex" athlete, for several reasons, mostly injury-related.

Also, sorry if i came off sounding harsh, that's not my intention at all.

His 19.87 is the #36 PEFORMANCE all-time, and I believe he is the #15 PEFORMER of all time.

Comment

P.S. Since it appears as if you might not be familiar with it, here's a reference that no track fan should ever be without:

http://www.algonet.se/~pela2/

Comment

For three months in 1996, Jeff Williams was among the best in the world.

It gives you an idea of how hard it is to make it to the top: most guys who get there (or nearly get there) don't stay for long.

It makes the achievements of people like Carl Lewis and Mo Greene (who stayed on top for an extended period of time) even more remarkable.

Comment

> While I have your
                    >ear, any word on Justin Gatlin? I understand he left Tennesee under protest of
                    >asthma medication he was fined by the NCAA for taking, and the last I heard he
                    >suffered a small injury. Any further word?

Leo,

coudya help me out

i just heard jesse made the 100 trials - any chance you reckon he could make the relay team?

people saying this Adolf guy don't like to see the bro's on his track

Comment

I'm interested to hear how the careers of the non-Mary's went. To me that schedule is very harsh for such a young girl. IMHO when you start in T&F it should be fun. Mess about with a bunch of events, use training nights as social functions, take nothing that seriously, slowly find what your best event is, develop a love for the sport. Then go for it.

The 12 year old AR got a full ride to a university. They wanted her to be a point machine and run many races to produce points. She declined the coaches said she would lose her scholarship if she did not double up on events at meets. She called her parents and told them to send her money to pay for her education and told the coaches she will run the event she wanted. This did not go well with the school. She got disenchanted with the college scene and quit running after graduating.

For myself, I learned from the 12 year old AR and told my dad to get his check book out and I will go to school academically. Ever since I was five I wanted to work in production in the film business. So I went to Film School. I was running with my agegroup coach the first semister of college and decided that my school load and making student films until 3am did to fit with my training. So I concentrated on my studies. After graduation I made a choice not to run and work my dream job as a Production Manager. I retired from the film biz at 30, took a year off from work and started running again.

I did mess around with a bunch of events. I raced in the 220, 440, 880, mile, cross country and I ran a marathon at the age of 12.

I even went to parties, I hanged out with non-running friends at the mall. On top of that - I did my homework.

As for the 12 year miler, a high school coach took advantage of her talents and she decided to quit.

Comment

i dont think that those workouts are harsh for me. afterall, i have been running competivly since 3rd grade, so i am used to having multiple workouts and whatnot. Since i am a very serious runner, and this is the main sport i focus on, i will try all of these workouts, and hopefully increase my endurance and speed throughout time. thank you all for replying. and i have a meet on Feb. 13, i will post my results shortly after. wish me luck
                        HannaH

Comment

Working...
                        X