Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bit of good news for college track

With the recent demise of several college track programs it is good to hear that West Texas A&M is restoring their men and women's programs. The AD is also saying all the right things ...he wants to be competitive with conference rival and Div II powerhouse Abilene Christian and that they hope to make use of kids from the football team. I wish them all the best.

They've had a poor to mediocre cross program for a while, but the gals have really stepped it up as of late with a few imports. They beat ACU the other week. WT's football program is quite strong right now, and surely some potential sprinters and throwers populate the squad. I think a guy named Darren Flowers was named as coach. If I got the name right, does it ring a bell for anyone?

Comment

Can't think West Texas State and not think of....

Mercury Morris and Duane Thomas in the NFL. Rocky Thompson a sprinter/NFLer and rasslers....

Dusty Rhodes
      Brusier Brody
      Stan "The Lariat" Hansen
      Tully Blanchard
      "Dirty" Dick Murdoch
      Ted DiBiase
      Tito Santana
      "Blackjack" Mullighan
      Terry Funk
      Dory Funk Jr.

Comment

School has an interesting history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Texas ... University

Comment

Aha, but can anyone name the 8000+ decathlete who started his collegiate career at West Texas (then State)?

Comment

A guy I went to high school with in Amarillo got close, but I'm not sure he actually pegged 8000.

Comment

There is also a local guy in the Hall of Fame in the high school at which I teach who may have gotten 8000. I'm not sure if he began at WT.

Comment

I've also heard that SMU is getting their men's program back. Any truth to this?

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                  Aha, but can anyone name the 8000+ decathlete who started his collegiate career at West Texas (then State)?
                  ok, we'll bite

Comment

No takers? Anyone? Bueller?
                    Hint... he was the 1990 NCAA dec champ

Comment

I was referring previously to Keith Stewart and Robert Baker (he of 3:58 1500 deca). I guess neither of those is correct.

Comment

Drew Fucci from Texas State was the 1990 NCAA decathlon champ.

Comment

Bingo! Fucci it is...was...

Comment

Working...
                          X