Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we need #1,2,3 on the relay?

What does it take to win? I say 4 10.00 guys with B+ stick work could win it 80% of the time.

If I'm {Tyson Gay} {Maurice Greene} {superstud of the year} and you don't give me a chance to win a medal that's "rigihtfully" mine, I'm going to court. And if I don't, my sponsors will.

Much as the bulk of fandom considers the relay a matter of "national honor," to the guys in the trenches this is their job and they wouldn't look kindly at being deprived of a chance to up their earnings/visibility.

USATF and the USOC can babble on forever about "Team USA" but this is a bunch of individuals forced by circumstance into that situation whether they like it or not.

Comment

Unless, you accept the proposal suggested by a previous poster, that the 4x100 become an Olympic Trials event. Let the team select itself.

Comment

The only grounds they would have in court would be if our rules did not clearly state who is to be included on the relay. If the rules clearly stated you could not be participating in another event, then what grounds would any case in court have?

Comment

Re: Do we need #1,2,3 on the relay?

Originally posted by Barto
          What does it take to win? I say 4 10.00 guys with B+ stick work could win it 80% of the time.
          You say "4 10.00 guys" like they grow on trees and are ready for picking at any time. Just because a Holliday or Demps or Padgett or Patton or Williams or Jelks or Carter or Dixon (dang, they DO grow on trees!) can run A 10.00 doesn't mean they can do it on command or be good relayers. And our stick work ranges from B+ to F. So yes, we do need our fastest 6 guys and we do need to practice them and put them in meets. THEN our odds are 80% (but not this year).

Comment

No we don't have to have #1,2,3 to win the relays. what we need is 3 guys who can a very good 120 and carry speed through the zones a guy with a good start that can run a turn, oh yeah and be able to pass a stick. one of the biggest mistakes we make is thinking a fast 100 from the blocks equals a fast 120, and that a fast 100 from the blocks equals and fast 120 on the fly around a turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Barto
              The only grounds they would have in court would be if our rules did not clearly state who is to be included on the relay. If the rules clearly stated you could not be participating in another event, then what grounds would any case in court have?
              Oh, I dunno; arbitrary and capricious restraint of trade? (I love lawyerspeak!)

Think of how many times you've read of injunctions against ineligible players and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                Oh, I dunno; arbitrary and capricious restraint of trade? (I love lawyerspeak!)

I suppose that's why we have all those lawsuits against the USOC from disgruntled volleyball, basketball, water polo, soccer, hockey, etc players when they don't get picked for the Olympics.
                There are no strings on me

Comment

we do not need 1,2,3 but you are kidding yourself if you think the relay is about more than raw footspeed. We have dominated for decades because we are faster not because we had better sticks. We lost when we were not fast enough in 1996 and 2004 (Gatlin was tired and Cobi was way off form).
                  Good sticks will make us faster, but this year, speed won, and broke the wr.
                  BTW it takes 4 9.9 guys to win the relay now.

Comment

True enough Smoke, but you must agree if the US is going to win an international men's(or women's for that matter) 4x100 any time in the near future we're going to have to do it because of superior stick work.
                    There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by guru
                      True enough Smoke, but you must agree if the US is going to win an international men's(or women's for that matter) 4x100 any time in the near future we're going to have to do it because of superior stick work.
                      Completely disagree. We just need to get the stick around, and see what happens in the race. As the saying goes, that is why we run the races.

Comment

The importance of the ``stick work'' should not be underestimated. It might be
                        fair to say that the US often had a sufficient speed superiority that they
                        could win _despite_ the way they handled the stick---unless they dropped it on
                        the on way...

Getting the hand-off, acceleration, deceleration, whatnot right can well be
                        worth more than two tenths per runner. Would you then rather have four 10.00
                        runners who practised the relay intensely, or four 9.90 runners who just step
                        on the tracks? I would go with the former.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          If I'm {Tyson Gay} {Maurice Greene} {superstud of the year} and you don't give me a chance to win a medal that's "rigihtfully" mine, I'm going to court. And if I don't, my sponsors will.
                          But the USATF could make attending a certain number of relay training camps a precondition for being included in the team. I don't think any court would consider that to be an unreasonable requirement.
                          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

The USA is probably the only nation on earth will enought speed to run a stud 4x1 without any of the 100m guys on the team. Yes they could win. It has been done before as a matter of fact. It happened in 1932. No Tolan, Metcalfe or Simpson. All that team did was win the gold in WR time.

I am for plugging in our best sprinter on the anchor leg however. No doubt he ran anchor in grade school, high school and college, so he can probably make it work with little practice. The other three do nothing but practice, practice and practice.

Comment

duplicate.?

Comment

Working...
                              X