Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will never look at....

......the speed world the same again. Yes Bolt has changed things. A 9.69 looking all around as if he were in with high schoolers....huh??? He makes all those legendary speedsters look...slow. Then he turns around and does something about as...WHOA~!...as it gets..a 19.30! Now it's.."can he run a WR 400m?" Who can...no way? I can't, can you?

If he runs indoors, will he set records there? This.."oh no, he's too tall"..doesn't work in his case. Yes he's...special! What totally blows me away is that he could have been just a college guy at TCU,USC etc. That's really amazing that a guy no older than a collegiate, could do what he's doing/done. Never thought I'd see someone that far superior to everyone else we've seen over the years.

Where does he peak out? A 9.59? A 19.25? Is that ridiculous or what? A 9.59 even looks weird. Nobody has ever held the 100/200/400 WR. Are we going to see the first to accomplish that feat? Will he get bored with the 100/200 and look for a new challenge? A 45.2 as a kid, has to tell him tha he's far faster than that now.

An interesting angle is to look at what other young super-sprinters have
    achieved at his age respectively at career's end. (Leaving aside the question
    whether they were _as_ super as Bolt.)

You know the book much better than I do; however, it is my impression that when
    correcting for surface changes and similar, most did not evolve that much
    during their career. Take the young Carl Lewis: If we discount altitude
    results, he was close to Bolt in sprint superiority while dominating the long
    jump completely. Arguably, he had already peaked in 1984 (possibly even
    earlier), and his result improvements where largely based on other factors
    than his improvement as an athlete.

I suspect that Bolt will similarly not show much ``raw'' improvement in the
    100/200. (However, hitting the right wind in the right race could still put
    him at e.g. 9.59.)

Comment

Originally posted by imaginative
      An interesting angle is to look at what other young super-sprinters have
      achieved at his age respectively at career's end. (Leaving aside the question
      whether they were _as_ super as Bolt.)

You know the book much better than I do; however, it is my impression that when
      correcting for surface changes and similar, most did not evolve that much
      during their career. Take the young Carl Lewis: If we discount altitude
      results, he was close to Bolt in sprint superiority while dominating the long
      jump completely. Arguably, he had already peaked in 1984 (possibly even
      earlier), and his result improvements where largely based on other factors
      than his improvement as an athlete.

I suspect that Bolt will similarly not show much ``raw'' improvement in the
      100/200. (However, hitting the right wind in the right race could still put
      him at e.g. 9.59.)
      I doubt he betters his 200m world record but have no doubts he runs another 100m WR. The 400m seems to be his lone challenge. I see a sub 44.00 for sure, not sure a WR in there however.

Carl Lewis, Frankie, Ato, Mo etc etc were all great, as it Asafa Powell and Tyson Gay. They however never got me thinking a sub 9.60, a sub19.30? Then you look at how easy he runs those incredible times and ...whoa!!!!!!!!

Comment

i heard bolt didn't want to go for the 400 record. it is a gut-buster event if you're talking about the mj/butch reynolds level.

Comment

Seems to me that Bolt will either rip the short sprint records to shreds in the next few years OR never run back to the times he blasted in Beijing.

He certainly has not been the model of consistent improvement since he first grabbed attention as a teen prodigy.

How do we expect things to unfold?

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
            How do we expect things to unfold?
            The question is, does he become fat and sassy because of the incredible (literally) year he's had, or does he stay lean and hungry? He could go soft and STILL win championships - he's that good. He's going to live the Very Good Life this winter and we'll see what that does to him. I can't believe he will come back better next year, but he's already proven himself to be the most unpredictable sprinter, so WTFK ??!!

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
              Seems to me that Bolt will either rip the short sprint records to shreds in the next few years OR never run back to the times he blasted in Beijing.

He certainly has not been the model of consistent improvement since he first grabbed attention as a teen prodigy.
              Sure, he had a bad 2004 Olympics due to injury, but his year-by-year progression does show consistent improvement since 2002. It's just that this year has been his biggest improvement.

2002 World Junior champion
              2003 World Youth champion
              2004 World Junior record 19.93
              2005 World Championships finalist
              2006 Personal best 19.88
              2007 World Championships silver medalist
              2008 You know what happened!

http://www.iaaf.org/athletes/biographie ... index.html

Comment

Working...
              X