Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how about first 3 don't go from the Olympic Trials?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok, i didn't know the specific interpretation..

in all events where usa has a champion, i suspect usa would have 4 a qualifiers...

the exclusion being if greer ever won the javelin

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
      Originally posted by gh
      That means that Eugene would not have had:

Tyson Gay (twice)
      Jeremy Wariner
      Bernard Lagat (twice)
      Kerron Clement
      Brad Walker
      Reese Hoffa
      Allyson Felix
      Michelle Perry (weak link as it turned out)
      Facts not in evidence. At least half WOULD have shown up for a wide range of reasons, not the least of which is $$$$.
      Sponsorship obligations/bonuses aside, the prize money on offer at the US Trials (starting at $4000 for 1st place) is peanuts for most top US athletes, especially the athletes mentioned above.

Comment

and "showing up" isn't remotely the same thing as competing.

What's more likely to happen (and this is what we'll probably see at next year's nationals, since those free passes are in place for that meet)

Gay, 1 event, maybe just the heats
        Wariner, not the 400
        Lagat, one event
        Clement, the 400
        Walker will jump becuase field eventers have little choice
        same for Hoffa

Felix in the 100
        Perry maybe just the heats

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          Wariner, not the 400
          Lagat, one event
          Clement, the 400
          same for Hoffa

Felix in the 100
          Great, so they'll be well rested and peak nicely for the worlds :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
            Originally posted by gh
            Wariner, not the 400
            Lagat, one event
            Clement, the 400
            same for Hoffa

Felix in the 100
            Great, so they'll be well rested and peak nicely for the worlds :twisted:
            Just what I was thinking PLUS I would LIKE to see them do that.

Comment

That's because neither of you have ever had anything to do with trying to sell our sport to the public and keep it alive.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                That's because neither of you have ever had anything to do with trying to sell our sport to the public and keep it alive.
                I know you're between a rock and a hard place but to want the trials to be the focus of the sport in the US, even more so than the Olympics seems a little backward. Yet that is where we stand right now. At least from this fans perspective.

Comment

Has zero to do with my being between a rock and a hard place; has everything to do with the sport in this country being stuck there. And anything that reduces appearances (particularly high-visibility appearances) by its biggest stars only serves to pound more nails into the coffin.

Sports is a stars-driven business in general; for a niche sport like track & field, even moreso if we're to keep the attention of anybody but the hardcore, who by themselves aren't remotely enough to support it.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    Has zero to do with my being between a rock and a hard place; has everything to do with the sport in this country being stuck there. And anything that reduces appearances (particularly high-visibility appearances) by its biggest stars only serves to pound more nails into the coffin.

Sports is a stars-driven business in general; for a niche sport like track & field, even moreso if we're to keep the attention of anybody but the hardcore, who by themselves aren't remotely enough to support it.
                    gh is correct. Without the stars actually competing
                    the sport will be ignored in its one hour of glory.

Personally, I think this whole idea of not having the first 3 past the post go is pretty idiotic and a losing proposition. As soon as some STAR with an ego gets a hint that he/she can still make the team without actually getting in the top 3 it is going to happen.

As I, and others, have mentioned before, the best solution is a shorter Trials, with fewer rounds, in 5 days. But removing the sudden death of the Trials, for even a few select athletes will be the death knell for the one competition in the US that gets the most attention.

Comment

• I agree with E Garry. I think two of biggest nails driven into the coffin were in the early 80s when Sebastian Coe and Steve Ovett had a chance, in one of the highlight events, to put on a tour similar to Gunder Hagg and Arne Andersson but not only did not do it, but basically refused to race each other. Could have been a big draw but it never happened and i think it would have helped. Not Americans but English-speaking Brits could have been marketed in this country. Secondly, in the early-mid 80s - Carl Lewis, the biggest star in the sport rarely raced in the United States, when he could have helped promote the sport more, again with the 100 at least, in a highlight event.

Comment

• having someone run a secondary event tey NEVER intend to compete in at the Worlds is stealing a spot. Allyson can go to trials ad run the 100 and 400 for kicks. No intent of running either at Berlin. the ninth qualifier could very well make the team but because allyson was moonlighting to fulfill the participation requirement that person does not get the chance.
                        That is not about competing, that is about space. There are only 8 lanes, nothing is changing that.
                        I do not have much of a beef with competing in your own event. it is what it is. but there is little pacification for taking a lane in a final form others that had a chance to make a team.

as explained, if the person with the bye makes it in the top three the fourth placer goes

pls remember we are talking the Olympic trials not worlds, worlds is pretty much set. and the every other year time line makes byes more relevant.
                        Let's see this year we would have had
                        Justin - banned
                        Shawn - made the team would have had rodney martin out there too
                        Jeremy - made the team reggie witherspoon gets a spot
                        Dwight Phillips - he has been subpar since 04 and would have needed the bye to make the team

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam
                          I agree with E Garry. I think two of biggest nails driven into the coffin were in the early 80s when Sebastian Coe and Steve Ovett had a chance, in one of the highlight events, to put on a tour similar to Gunder Hagg and Arne Andersson but not only did not do it, but basically refused to race each other. Could have been a big draw but it never happened and i think it would have helped. Not Americans but English-speaking Brits could have been marketed in this country. Secondly, in the early-mid 80s - Carl Lewis, the biggest star in the sport rarely raced in the United States, when he could have helped promote the sport more, again with the 100 at least, in a highlight event.
                          Unfortuantely, Coe & Ovett were predated, directly, by the lack of a Walker/Bayi confrontation.

All hail Jim Ryun, head-to-head on multiple occasions with Keino, then Liquori.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh
                            Unfortuantely, Coe & Ovett were predated, directly, by the lack of a Walker/Bayi confrontation.
                            The lack of 'confrontation' wasn't by design. Bayi, with recurring bouts of malaria, and compounded by the lack of incentive during the pre-professional years, was only a competitive peer of Walkers for 4 years (74,75,76,80) Even then the 76 boycott and the return to the steeplechase in 1980 left little opportunity for matchups in 2 out of those 4 years. And malaria (if my memory is correct) took him down in 1975 after the mile WR.

Bayi/Walker was no rivalry to speak of, it was more like two ships passing in the night.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh
                              What's more likely to happen (and this is what we'll probably see at next year's nationals, since those free passes are in place for that meet)

Wariner, not the 400
                              Are you implying he'll have a go at 800? :twisted:
                              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary
                                Originally posted by gh

gh is correct. Without the stars actually competing
                                the sport will be ignored in its one hour of glory.
                                Surely the hour of glory should be at the Olympics, not the trials. And T&F was ignored by NBC at the Olympics, so possibly what happens at the trials make no difference at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X