Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donald Thomas To Quit High Jump ?

http://freeport.nassauguardian.net/spor ... 803631.php

I'm all for doing what you love, but wasn't Thomas a marginal player on an NAIA team?

Comment

Becca would know.

Comment

Seems like his two options are to get serious and high jump at a world class level or give-up professional sports all together.

Comment

From the sound of the interview, my bet is that we've heard the last of Thomas. Too bad, he is a major talent.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM
            I'm all for doing what you love, but wasn't Thomas a marginal player on an NAIA team?
            I don't know how much he played his freshman year. He did not turn out for the team his next two years (in his defense, the coach at that time was not a good coach). His senior year there was a new coach and he turned out again, but he wasn't coming to practice consistently enough to make varsity or whatever. It wasn't for lack of talent. He played a lot of street ball.

I think he played quite a bit in high school, he did earn a basketball scholarship to Lindenwood.

He was drafted by the Harlem Globetrotters earlier this year, and I think that would be a good fit for him.

Comment

The few times I saw him this past summer, it seemed he was touring Europe, rather than being on the European tour.

Comment

He has no shot at the NBA and I'm not even sure if he has enough skills to make it to one of the bigger leagues in Europe. He needs to refine his HJ technique and not give up so quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
                  He was drafted by the Harlem Globetrotters earlier this year, and I think that would be a good fit for him.
                  Indeed. And it would enable him to make a living doing something he apparently enjoys more than high jumping.

Comment

In my opinion the Globetrotters would be his only basketball shot at this point. Pro basketball is way too competitive for someone not having consistently played. It is a shame if he drops the high jump. It's very tantalizing to see the jumping talent out there. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.
                    If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                      Originally posted by polevaultpower
                      Indeed. And it would enable him to make a living doing something he apparently enjoys more than high jumping.
                      I know this may be hard to believe for the sports-fixated, but as I recall he came to this country to study economics (accounting?), not do hoops or high jumping. What a shock if that's where he wants to go!

Comment

It may be where he wants to go, but I gotta believe he'd have more fun playing for the Globetrotters than being an accountant. I agree--that would be a shock.

Comment

What is gh talking about???

Am I to infer that these athletes have some life agenda apart from the things we think they should do? Is it possible that they listen to their own inner voices rather than what we say here?

What the %*#? Who do they think they are!!!!

Comment

There goes 2.50 m (8 foot 2) :roll:

Comment

For an athlete, thoughts of quitting the sport usually come when you have an injury you think is insurmountable. Still its a shame because his unorthodox jumping style in itself can be a source of commercial endorsements.

Comment

Working...
                              X