Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cover trivia

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cover trivia

    When the new cover goes up on the front page later today (or perhaps not until early tomorrow) it will mark the cover subject's appearance No. 6. Who fills in the blanks for cover leaderships? (this does not encompass the issues of the '40s, '50s and '60s which were "newspaper style" and had multiple pictures and verbiage on the front page)

    15.... ?

    9..... 2 people

    6..... 4 people, including this new member

  • #2
    15 - Carl?
    9 - Michael J, Marion J?
    Guessing the new 6 is Geb. Perhaps Webb, Wariner, JJK also?

    Comment


    • #3
      Thinking Jim Ryun and Steve Prefontaine may have had 6 covers?

      Comment


      • #4
        15 is indeed Carl, the 9s are the two MJs and the new 6 is Geb. And Webb/JJK previous 6s.

        One more 6 to go.

        (new cover now on front page by the way)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler
          Thinking Jim Ryun and Steve Prefontaine may have had 6 covers?
          Not Pre again.

          Comment


          • #6
            [quote=Conor Dary]
            Originally posted by "Bruce Kritzler":fuje7mhi
            Thinking Jim Ryun and Steve Prefontaine may have had 6 covers?
            Not Pre again.[/quote:fuje7mhi]

            Does that thought inspire you?

            Comment


            • #7
              [quote=kuha]
              Originally posted by Conor Dary
              Originally posted by "Bruce Kritzler":16m4a9gm
              Thinking Jim Ryun and Steve Prefontaine may have had 6 covers?
              Not Pre again.
              Does that thought inspire you?[/quote:16m4a9gm]

              Aren't we in a jolly mood today.

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm looking at the issue and love the shot of her waiting for the start of the OT 1500, a little waif against the other women.

                BTW - I just watched Demps burn the Ky defense with pure speed. Sweet!

                Comment


                • #9
                  non sequitur alert! The only "her" referred to in this thread was JJK and Marion; I don't think either of them lined up for the OT 1500.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by gh
                    non sequitur alert! The only "her" referred to in this thread was JJK and Marion; I don't think either of them lined up for the OT 1500.
                    D'oh! Sorry! I was, of course, referring to Tinkerbell 'Thumbelina' Hasay! :wink:

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by gh
                      15 is indeed Carl, the 9s are the two MJs and the new 6 is Geb. And Webb/JJK previous 6s.

                      One more 6 to go.

                      (new cover now on front page by the way)
                      Unless I'm hopelessly out of touch, I think Shorter was the record holder for many years. I would guess he's the one at 6.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Shorter can be construed as an answer, but only if you include things like an NCAA XC cover that has dozens of people in it, and he's not particulary the focus, and an OT cover that was split into four group shots.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by gh
                          Shorter can be construed as an answer, but only if you include things like an NCAA XC cover that has dozens of people in it, and he's not particulary the focus, and an OT cover that was split into four group shots.
                          Okay, then how about LMDTS?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            There ya go!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              In an effort to kill time at work over a few days time, I looked back over the covers in the archive here. I got:
                              Carl Lewis 12 (10 solo, 2 shared)
                              Michael Johnson 9 (all solo)
                              Marion Jones 8 (7 solo, 1 shared)
                              Jim Ryun 7 (3 solo, 4 shared)--I counted a couple of AOY covers
                              Alan Webb 6 (all solo)
                              Haile G 6 (5 solo, 1 shared)
                              JJK 6 (all solo)
                              Little Mary Decker Tabb Slaney 6 (5 solo, 1 shared)

                              I may have futzed things along the way, though.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X