Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    yes

next question?

Leave a comment:

• cigar95
    replied
    GH, who's involved in choosing the All-American teams? Do Kennedy & Shepard pick the respective teams solo, or is someone in Mountain View also part of the process?

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by guru
    Ok, riddle me this:

Chalonda Goodman goes through the season undefeated in the 100m, including NON, and torches Victoria Jordan 11:36 - 11.71 at JOs in their only head to head match-up, yet Jordan is your #1 in the 100. Yeah, Jordan had that one 11.16, but since when have you favored one huge mark over a season's body of work?....
    The big mark had nothing to do with it. Jordan might have been No. 1 if she had run 12.16, not 11.16 at her State meet. In the end, it's all about honors.

The biggest meet of the year for HS girls was the Juniors (preps being 6 of the 8 finalists), and she beat them all. I know you're a huge NON fan, but in this event, this year, the race meant almost nothing. Indeed, Jordan's State win (over another A-A) means more than the NON win. IOHO that is.

As for the head-to-head loss, we don't place a lot of stock in the JO meets. You can gain credit there, but to be out of shape three months after your State meet is no crime at the high school level, so losses aren't counted for much.

It was a slam dunk for Jordan; I didn't even consider it close.

(Heck, in looking over things again, not sure she shouldn't have been ahead of Goodman in the 200 as well)

Leave a comment:

• Thrower
    replied
    Once again, the throwers get hosed. The AOY notwithstanding, I'm referring to Mason Finley. He has a great season, wins everything he enters, throws a hefty 222-1 to check in at #3 all-time, and he doesn't even get a single vote in the AOY balloting.

Meanwhile, Nico Weiler has a similar seaon, barely cracks the top 25 all-time in his event, and scores enough AOY points to place 10th in the voting.

It's bad enough that the long throws are relegated to the far-away fields at meets, now this.......

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    Ok, riddle me this:

Chalonda Goodman goes through the season undefeated in the 100m, including NON, and torches Victoria Jordan 11:36 - 11.71 at JOs in their only head to head match-up, yet Jordan is your #1 in the 100. Yeah, Jordan had that one 11.16, but since when have you favored one huge mark over a season's body of work?

As someone is wont to say around here, 'Splain it to me Lucy. :?

(or perhaps you didn't want to make your AOY voters, who had Jordan 7th and Goodman, also undefeated in the 200 and inexplicably 12th, look bad)

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    The best part of the piece was where they said she was "USA Track & Field Magazine's" AOY.

LOL!

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    I guess they have trouble telling the seasons down there on the Central Coast; it was September 29.
    “The guy (from the magazine) actually interviewed me about it last summer,” said Hasay.
    I'll bet she is referring to an interview at the Trials, where someone mentioned something about being the best HS runner. It probably all runs together in her head after awhile. As the article mentioned, she is mobbed everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    I guess they have trouble telling the seasons down there on the Central Coast; it was September 29.
    Seven days after summer ended.

I'd cut her some slack.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied
    USA Girls AOY runs 2:nd-fastest time ever recorded (16.27) at Mt. Sac yesterday, had this to say about AOY:

“The guy (from the magazine) actually interviewed me about it last summer,” said Hasay.

“I really thought Chanelle was going to get it. I had a really good track season, so I guess that helped set it up.
    http://www.santamariatimes.com/articles ... orts34.txt

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Go to the Historical forum and see my ratings of the "top 10" HS AOY's, based on their entire careers.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by Powell
    And BTW, if there's one event in which high schoolers can be world class, it's HJ, not the sprints.
    A look at high schoolers making international teams puts the lie to that pretty quickly.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Originally posted by 26mi235
    Laura Roesler 800 (plus 100/200/400/XC champ at state) finished ahead of Price at the Trials and is under-ranked here.
    Yeah, my personal view is that Price was way overrated, much of it coming from her studly status of previous years.

But just to clarify, in track-statistician parlance, Roesler did not finish ahead of her at the Trials in a head-to-head sense. Since they weren't in the same prelim, they didn't meet there. But Roesler def. gets the bigger honor.
    I agree with your comments, gh.

LR is quite interesting; while ND is a pretty small state, winning the 100/200/400/800 (twice), and then winning the State XC title is such an enormous range that it boggles my mind.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by 26mi235
    Laura Roesler 800 (plus 100/200/400/XC champ at state) finished ahead of Price at the Trials and is under-ranked here.
    Yeah, my personal view is that Price was way overrated, much of it coming from her studly status of previous years.

But just to clarify, in track-statistician parlance, Roesler did not finish ahead of her at the Trials in a head-to-head sense. Since they weren't in the same prelim, they didn't meet there. But Roesler def. gets the bigger honor.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X