Colleges Strangling Flow Of Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colleges Strangling Flow Of Information

Two things we've run into recently here at T&FN.

1. Today, if you go to the Washington website looking for results, you get this message.

<<UW Open Meet Results
    Due to NCAA rules regarding the publication of information on high-school age athletes, the University of Washington can not post results of its Sunday open track and field meets to GoHuskies.com. For information on how to obtain these results, please visit www.pntf.org, or contact [email protected].>>

2. A few days back, after hearing about an athlete's possible injury situation, we sent an e-mail to the SID department of a major university (keeping in mind that for years we got excoriated by many SIDs if we ever dreamt of asking coaches such a question, being told "that's why we're here!"). Here was the response:

<<With the new HIPPA [Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act ]guidelines, we are not allowed to respond to questions or statements about injuries to student-athletes. According to the interpretation our administrators got and gave us, only the coaches and trainers are allowed to make any comment about injuries and only if the student-athlete has given his/her permission.

Sorry but those the are rules I have to live with.>>

wow.

Re: Colleges Strangling Flow Of Information

Welcome to the HIPAA world. This is just a tip of the iceberg.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I'm in the Employee Benefits consulting business, and we have to deal with these HIPAA(not HIPPA) regs. all the time. Well intentioned but causing enormous difficulties.

Comment

The HIPAA thing, while pretty silly, at least I understand. But how in the world does the NCAA have any authority over the publication of high-school results (or anything else, for that matter)? And, in any event, why wouldn't they want the performance of young athletes publicized?

Comment

The only "logical" thing that comes to mind right away is that perhaps it might be viewed as some kind of recruiting tool. Joe Stud comes to campus to run in your meet, you splash his name all over your website then use that as an enticement as the kind of treatment you get if you come to good old Siwash U. That's obviously a far cry from a simple inclusion of names in meet results, but you no how often these bureacracies' simple answer to any perceived problem is zero tolerance.

Comment

I take it to be the athletic department being overzealous after the recent scandals at UW. I know for a fact there was at least one high schooler (Laef Barnes) in the Saturday meet yet they still published the results. If it were actually against the rules to publish results with high schoolers' names in them then there would be a lot of schools in violation.

Comment

Another one: our high school editors note that last week's big Vol HS Classic in Knoxville can't be carried on the Tennessee site because of NCAA rules.

Comment

If universities can't post non-university related info on their websites, can they forward such info to a third party? Say the Vol's meet...can they forward that info to Dyestat.com?

Kurt

Comment

Garry, now you have a feeling of what my life has been like since Sarbanes-Oxley and Regulation FD.

Some of these regulations could suck the fun out of eating ice cream.

Comment

>Garry, now you have a feeling of what my life has been like since Sarbanes-Oxley and Regulation FD. Some of these regulations could suck the
                    fun out of eating ice cream.<

Or out of fleecing investors and employees the way the folks at Enron did. Congress didn't pass Sarbanes-Oxley for fun. They did it because it was apparent that left unconstrained by such legislation, too many corporate executives would continue to behave in a way that would harm many innocent people. I work in corporate America and I am very pleased by the way Sarbanes-Oxley has changed the way people think about certain behavior. Ditto Reg FD. I'm an investor, too, and I appreciate what these measures are trying to do.

If preventing investors from getting timely information about public companies is your idea of fun, I feel sorry for you. If you want to have fun, go out for a run or go to a track meet.

Comment

So that's why I couldn't find the meet results from the open meets. It's a good thing that I at least got my own times before I left the meet.

This is the NCAA's doing? I should have known. When is the NCAA going to stop meddling?

Comment

Its just amazing how the coaches in all the other sports continue to allow themselves & their sports to get F'd because Football and Basketball is ripe w/ criminals both in the game and on the sidelines.

The coaches need to take back the NCAA from itself. Not that they're much better, but at least they can screw tehmselves instead of having to drown with everyone else.

Comment

The results from the UW Open meets are posted on the PNTF website at www.pntf.org

Comment

Garry Hill wrote:
                            Our high school editors note that last week's big Vol HS Classic in Knoxville can't be carried on the Tennessee site because of NCAA rules.
                            ------
                            Use the URL below for the Vol HS Classic results:

http://www.coacho.com/meet_results/ktc/ ... k_Classic/

Comment

Working...
                            X