Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which athlete with 100% to get Gold in Athens?...

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which athlete with 100% to get Gold in Athens?...

I just see Kenenisa BEKELE at the 10000m.
    No,no... I cannot imagine he will be beaten.
    Even in spite of the "glorieuse incertitude du
    sport." (sorry, I don't know how to say this
    in English)
    Do you, as well, see another athlete that you
    see 100% with Gold at the next Olympics?
    (not as a fan, of course...)

Re: Which athlete with 100% to get Gold in Athens?...

Lebedeva in TJ, Manjiani in JT

Comment

>> Even in spite of the "glorieuse incertitude du
      sport."
      >(sorry, I don't know how to say this
      in English)>>

Well, you could say...."glorious incertitude of sport"!! (really) But the person in the street would be more likely to use "wonderful uncertainty"

Comment

At 100%, absolutely no one. 100% is not a valid number to use in this thread.

Comment

Manjani is a very good bet. Ana Verouli revisited! And in a not-coincidental bit of scheduling, I'm sure, the women's JT final starts at 21:00. Last running event that night is w4x1 final at 22:30. Which means that just about as the buzz for the relay dies down, the last action of the night will be Manjani's final throw, confirming her gold. Break out the ouzo!

Comment

Comment

OK you nitpicking mathematics buffs the guy posted a great question in his second language and you want to argue over friggin' decimal points. You know what the question he was trying to ask really is, so how about having the class just to answer it without getting all snarky?

Comment

Agreed 100% with Rob and Steve. A couple of athletes may have a 95-99% chance of winning before the competition (making an allowance for bad luck/competitor having the performance of his life etc.), but before the season even starts ??? The chance that they'll be injured and not even able to compete in Athens are far greater than that...
                Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

>Manjani is a very good bet. Ana Verouli revisited! And in a not-coincidental
                  >bit of scheduling, I'm sure, the women's JT final starts at 21:00. Last running
                  >event that night is w4x1 final at 22:30. Which means that just about as the
                  >buzz for the relay dies down, the last action of the night will be Manjani's
                  >final throw, confirming her gold. Break out the ouzo!

I certainly hope it is not Ana Verouli revisited. We have an expression in Greek..... she bites.... Verouli looked like a Hulk, Manjani looks like Aphrodite. Verouli was caught before the 1984 OG doing drugs. Or is this what the revisited reference was all about? No, I am not upset.... don't even care. Just chatting.

Cheers

Comment

no-no-no! No negative connotations on Verouli (if I were going to do that I would have cited her rabid anti-Americanism in her press conference after winning the '82 Euros).

No, my "revisited" was the warm remembrance at the mind-boggling expression of joy by the locals when she won in '82. One of the great explosions I've ever heard in a stadium. As Bob Hersh wrote in T&FN at the time:

<<...for five minutes bedlam regined as 80,000 voices changed joyously.... the winning throw and the closeup of the tears streaming down Verouli's face on the victory stand as her anthem was played, was shown repeated on TV through the evening (even pre-empting "Dallas"). Her photos adorned every front page in Greekce the next day. The first Greek ever to win a European title, her place in that nation's pantheon of goddesses is assured."

Comment

doh! CHANTED joyously.

Comment

US men 4X400. How much safer can you get?
                        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Pego, I agree that it's the best bet, but anything can happen, and do you remember 1996 ? Michael Johnson did not run due to a strained leg ( he had a pretty good meet before then you might say!) and US had to bust their a** to win narrowly. So it's not always a slam dunk.

Comment

>US men 4X400. How much safer can you get?>>

Question asked was which athlete, singular.

Comment

well, I was not "snarky" when I said there is nothing 100% sure and that a different % should be used, so sorry if someone thought otherwise.... and if 400 x 4 men is not considered, I say no one person can have more than an 80 % probabilty this time around, male or female. Maybe Marion Jones 4 years ago in Sydney in the 100 or 200, but not this year for her...more like 65%.

Comment

Working...
                              X