Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gatlin's extraordinary potential...

To my mind, this exceptional young sprinter
    is nowadays the only michaeljohnsonian potential.
    I mean the only athlete capable to running a
    19"60 200m race...
    If not injured, he will be unbeatable these next
    years.

Re: Gatlin's extraordinary potential...

i agree,but i haven't seen his 19.86.

anyway you deal it,he's got to whip KK in the next 2 years.

remember KK ran his 19.85 easing down & lost a few hundredths,knowing he'd won so easily.
    also,it was run into a ? -0.8m/s,on a wet track.taking the altitude/wind into account & a guess at what the wet cost him,KK was in ~19.75-19.80 shape then.

gatlin needs 19.70 to guarantee the win.

did his 19.86 suggest this? i didn't see it - did he run it flat out?

Comment

Gatlin is a great talent! However, I disagree with Farmony's claim that Gatlin is the only young 200m sprinter with Michael Johnson potential. Usain Bolt, a 16-year-old Jamaican who is the reigning world junior champ, has posted 20.25 & 20.43 (into -1.1 headwind) this year. He also has 400m skills, with a 45.35 PB.

Comment

Young talent burns out too early, more often than not. His body (at 16) is adjusted to running those times. What happens over the next 4 years when he grows, gains weight, etc...?

I've been around the sport long enough to see almost all of these young prodigies exhausted by 21. I'm not too optimistic, but anything can happen.

Comment

What I have liked about Gatlin's career so far is that he's been used so sparingly and brought along so slowly. When he was at Tennessee, I often used to wonder if they were ever going to run him in his specialty races. Then, at just the right time, they'd run him in a 100 or 200. But before that, they'd have him in 400s and in hurdles. (He's an excellent high hurdler.) Or they'd sit him out of meets completely.

I don't think he was in any danger of being "exhausted" at this rate. Hopefully the hamstring injury will not hurt him in the long run.

Comment

The key to the 200meters seems to be the ability to cook a respectable 400 as opposed to a 100m man relying on blazing speed.

check this out......

Henry Carr....ran on ASU's WR 4x4 team and anchored the 64 Oly USA 4x4 team to gold

Tommie Smith.....held the WR in both sprints

Pietro Mennea....was a mainstay on the Italian 4x4 team

Mike Marsh......was a 400 guy at Hawthorne prior to UCLA

MJ.....see Tommie Smith!

Kederis....started out as a 400 guy

As ya can see those past WR holders/Oly champs in the 200 all could run a solid 400. As we know Gatlin split 44.2 at Tennessee.

Gatlin is the total package!

Comment

My comment about burn-out was regarding Bolt (well under age 20). I'm quite sure Gatlin is the "real deal", and is bound for greatness in the sport.

Comment

Are you referring to Steve Bolt of Alabama? A little b/f my time, but I know the name and have always been curious about him.

Comment

See above post. He's referring to the 16yr old Usain Bolt from Jamaica. Susceptible to burn-out if his HS/College coaches take advantage of his talent in a selfish manner.

Comment

Originally posted by blacklily
                    Gatlin is a great talent! However, I disagree with Farmony's claim that Gatlin is the only young 200m sprinter with Michael Johnson potential. Usain Bolt, a 16-year-old Jamaican who is the reigning world junior champ, has posted 20.25 & 20.43 (into -1.1 headwind) this year. He also has 400m skills, with a 45.35 PB.
                    Kudos to your prediction! Your post, in retrospect, is of great insight.

Comment

Working...
                    X