Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new euro cup rules confirmed and they ridic

so we knew this was coming but it's ridiculous. if this is the kind of thing they're going to come up with to try and save the sport then we're in more trouble than i thought

http://www.european-athletics.org/index ... 1&Itemid=2

if i was a distance runner of a horizontal jumper i would boycott

:cry:
    i deserve extra credit

There is a lot of mind-boggling rules in that article, but the following stood out:

In the vertical jumps (High Jump & Pole Vault) each competitor shall be entitled to a maximum of 4 (four) fouls only throughout the whole field event. All the other relevant IAAF Rules for the vertical jumps will apply.
    They can't be serious about that one.

Comment

Originally posted by croflash
      There is a lot of mind-boggling rules in that article, but the following stood out:
      In the vertical jumps (High Jump & Pole Vault) each competitor shall be entitled to a maximum of 4 (four) fouls only throughout the whole field event. All the other relevant IAAF Rules for the vertical jumps will apply.
      It's worth a shot, but what they will discover is LOTS of missed bars as athletes yank it too high in hopes of catching one and winning. The up side is a more focused concentration for each jump. Far fewer run-throughs or bail-outs, I'm guessing.

Comment

I assume a lot of this is about trying to cram it into less time?

Comment

i donlt hate that one it's the distance races that are the most stupid. we'll now have a mad dash every few laps which makes it a fartlek session not a race
          i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
            we'll now have a mad dash every few laps which makes it a fartlek session not a race
            Will they use the photofinish to decide the close ones? Will there literally be a big guy with a shepherds hook to yank them out of the race. If not, why bother?

Comment

Man, oh, man... If you think racewalk judging is controversial, just wait until the "Devil take the hindmost" aspect of the distance events starts to draw photo-calls and protests. Doubly so if a bad call results in an athlete losing a significant amount of revenue.

Should be "fun."

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy

i donlt hate that one it's the distance races that are the most stupid. we'll now have a mad dash every few laps which makes it a fartlek session not a race
                Even worse, let's say Paula turns up and runs the 5k at 14:30 pace (or faster!) and the field gets stretched as in the 2004 Cup, who's gonna be so horrible as to pull out the back marker who's on her way to a big PB?!

(Of course I know the Greek who did come last in 2004 did not run a PB and also did run almost a minute faster later that year...)

Comment

The ITA tried that and what it led to was people coming in a too-high heights, treating the paying customers to a steady string of misses.

Have these morons no feel for what the public likes? Fans would be happier if you changed the vertical-jump rules so taht athletes got 4 misses alright.. AT EACH HEIGHT!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    Fans would be happier if you changed the vertical-jump rules so taht athletes got 4 misses alright.. AT EACH HEIGHT!
                    We've done a couple of low-key HS meets where every vaulter got 8 total jumps at whatever height they wished (as the bar progressed normally). Lots of misses, but lots of PRs (treated like a practice PR) also!

Comment

Originally posted by gh

The ITA tried that and what it led to was people coming in a too-high heights, treating the paying customers to a steady string of misses.
                      I thought that what the ITA tried was a set number of total attempts, not total misses.

Comment

exactly! they floated this 2 years ago and the idiots passed it.

I too took issue with the distance rules because these rules are dictating strategy. The russian 800 runner now has to stay near the front because he will be eliminated before he gets to kick in for the WIN (as an example).

It is a stupid idea that creates no excitement but stresses the athletes.

But seriously, why are any of you surprised. 99% of the rules and changes about our sport have been in spite of the athletes, from drugs to this ridiculous abomination. One day someone will step up and realize we cannot keep stepping on the product while trying to sell it. Subtle changes are needed, but when we start mucking around with the very base of the sport we are being stupid.

It is time for all of us to grow up and start handling ourselves better. Too often we cowtow to the money. Hire Fasttrack for the next 4 years to market and lets see where we end up. They are not perfect but they try the right way. They put on a 2 day FULL meet this year. Killed them but they are willing to promote the sport as we all know it. And they are doing it again this year.

Comment

Semantic problem alert!

The 6 lowest classified athletes will be ranked according to ttheir best performance after the 2nd qualification trial;
                          Does that mean
                          a. They will be ranked only by a performance AFTER the first two
                          or
                          b. they will be ranked by their first 2 efforts

I'm pretty sure it's b, but the wording is unclear.

Comment

This is HORRENDOUS!!! :x

I'd heard it mentioned but didn't think it would be this bad.

There is no way I'd go if I was jumper or distance runner in fact I'm not even going as a spectator. Have only missed one in 10 years but will not be paying good money to watch this farce.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke
                              They are not perfect but they try the right way. They put on a 2 day FULL meet this year. Killed them but they are willing to promote the sport as we all know it. And they are doing it again this year.
                              Fast Track are great but the two day meet was crap. Ropey fields stretched over a whole weekend just meant a really dull, sparsely attended 2 day meet rather than a really good sell out, 1 day one.

They're doing it again next year for soem unknowwn reason. Again I won't be attending and it's only about 20 mins from my house.

Comment

Working...
                              X