• Show
Clear All
    Vault-emort

• Vault-emort
    replied
    Originally posted by Powell
    Originally posted by sprintblox
    An 18-year-old Aussie girl just ran 11.33
    But she didn't even make the final at the World Juniors.
    you're only as good as your last world junior race....

Leave a comment:

• Powell

• Powell
    replied
    Originally posted by sprintblox
    An 18-year-old Aussie girl just ran 11.33
    But she didn't even make the final at the World Juniors.

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort

• Vault-emort
    replied
    not that the 11.3 of Breen is anything new (see above...) but so glad Mike H is still reporting on aths (with Len J now retired there's hardly anyone with a clue left in the Aussie media)

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort

• Vault-emort
    replied
    Originally posted by Mennisco
    Wyomia Tyus was the first Olympic sprinter, male or female, to retain an Olympic title. Carl Lewis became the second...
    Well actually (if u include sticks) it was Shirley Strickland who was first woman..

Leave a comment:

• sprintblox

• sprintblox
    replied
    An 18-year-old Aussie girl just ran 11.33:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 18,00.html

Leave a comment:

• Mennisco

• Mennisco
    replied
    Originally posted by Jake
    Wyomia Tyus was the first Olympic sprinter, male or female, to retain an Olympic title.
    Some would argue it's Archie Hahn, who won the 100m in 1904 and 1906.
    Archie Bunker wouldn't disagree.

Leave a comment:

• Jake
    replied
    Wyomia Tyus was the first Olympic sprinter, male or female, to retain an Olympic title.
    Some would argue it's Archie Hahn, who won the 100m in 1904 and 1906.

Leave a comment:

• eldrick

• eldrick
    replied
    Originally posted by Powell
    I don't see much progress at the top at the moment. Bekele's WRs have been completely unchallenged (even by Bekele) the last couple of seasons. In fact, nobody is running as fast as Geb, Komen and Tergat did in the 1990s.
    he ran 26'25 this year & said uncharacteristically he 'got tired in 8th km'

he may have a serious go at it next year, when a wc means little, having already got 3 of them

if not him, shinester, tadesse or even wanjiru ( if he ever fancied it ) are certainly capable of < 26'20

if they fancy it on a cool evening in oslo/stockholm, someone will take 5 - 10s off it anytime in next coupla years

Leave a comment:

• Mennisco

• Mennisco
    replied
    Originally posted by AthleticsInBritain
    I thought Renate Stecher (whoa, was she built!) won in Montreal, but according that photo of the finish, Richter won. I'll have to go back and check out the results.
    Wyomia Tyus was the first Olympic sprinter, male or female, to retain an Olympic title. Carl Lewis became the second, after Ben was dq'd, and Gail Devers became the second woman to do it in Atlanta. Stecher was a clear second in Montreal. And yes, she was built, in a factory near Dresden.

:P

Leave a comment:

• Powell

• Powell
    replied
    I don't see much progress at the top at the moment. Bekele's WRs have been completely unchallenged (even by Bekele) the last couple of seasons. In fact, nobody is running as fast as Geb, Komen and Tergat did in the 1990s.

Leave a comment:

• eldrick

• eldrick
    replied
    I firmly believe that it's possible for a non East/North African to run 26:30 for the 10k. Bob Kennedy and Craig Mottram proved white guys could run sub 13 minutes for 5k
    only problem is that by then the wr is likely to be somewhere like 25'50 - 26'00

Leave a comment:

• paulthefan

• paulthefan
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Ha! You think Conte is NOT a pathological liar and I'M the naive one? :roll:
    It was once said of a former president, he is much more comfortable lying when the truth would do just as well.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by paulthefan
    Originally posted by Marlow
    There's a bad pun in there about Marion, sorry..... :P
    yeah, I saw that AFTER I wrote it and just left it as is. Whoda thunk that Conte was actually telling the truth for once?! :roll:
    for once... Proving that Marlow is as naive as tafnut was.
    Ha! You think Conte is NOT a pathological liar and I'M the naive one? :roll:

Leave a comment:

• paulthefan

• paulthefan
    replied
    Once a certain level of success is built up, you get talent coming into the event, inspired by the success of the trailblazer and you'll get a series of talented, successful athletes.
    If so then some credit to Berruti for a certain other Italian 200m prodigy.... and likewise Herb McKinley deserves a sizable portion of credit.

Leave a comment:

• AthleticsInBritain

• AthleticsInBritain
    replied
    I thought Renate Stecher (whoa, was she built!) won in Montreal, but according that photo of the finish, Richter won. I'll have to go back and check out the results.

In terms of the thread, I think it's different for Australia (and other countries) in the sprints, in that the USA has a long tradition of success, whereas it's once-in-a-generation for most other countries, regardless of skin colour. Once a certain level of success is built up, you get talent coming into the event, inspired by the success of the trailblazer and you'll get a series of talented, successful athletes.

Surely it's easy to understand that the 13 year old boy who's only running 11 seconds or 13 year old girl running 12-12.5 to feel they may never compete with the giants of the sport from the USA? In other threads on here people have mentioned fast white guys being pushed upwards to the 400m and events above.

I firmly believe that it's possible for a non East/North African to run 26:30 for the 10k. Bob Kennedy and Craig Mottram proved white guys could run sub 13 minutes for 5k. But until a role model comes through to run those times then most people aren't going to believe it's possible.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X