Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vault-emort
    Toro, sorry if this sounds picky, but:

would it not be better to use - for example - numbers of athletes at a certain standard (let's say 11.50) each year, rather than just ''years of the PB"
    It would be different but I don't know if it would be better. The thread was based around a perceived failure of current sprinters to be as good as Norman/Boyle, which is why I looked at peak performances (PBs in all-time list) and depth of peak performances (ave of scores) rather than overall depth.
    eg - 2000 looks like a low point in your graph, but we had 8 women at 11.50 or better that year, making it one of the best ever years for standards
    Debateable. What's better, a dozen at 11.50 or two sub-11? If you are talking Boyle impact, then sub-11 it must be. If you are talking health of the sport, then possibly a dozen at 11.50 but this would depend if they were all up and comers or past peak and getting slower or a mix. Overall depth would be nice to do and would give a different view of 2000 (very good sprinters not far off PBs, if I remember correctly) but I don't have the annual data sets and just counts below a threshold doesn't give enough quality information.

and I reckon if it's by "Olympiad", the divisions should start in the post-Olympic year - eg 1997-2000, 2001-2004
    Well, it was four years only because Boyle/Norman both hit the big time in 68 (40years/10). If they had done it in '78, I might have done it in 6 lots of 5 because I wasn't analysing Olympiads as such.

Like most things, a range of different views is required to synthesise the best analysis but you can only work with the available data. However, if you want to transcribe your old AA annuals into Excel.... :twisted:

Comment

Further comparison, this time between AUS and WORLD all-time lists. Instead of number of performers I used % of each list to take into account the different depths. World list sourced from Peter Larsson's legal performances.

Comment

Sorry Toro, I'm just not sure what a comparison of PB years is supposed to show.

For example Boyle's PB was set in 1968 (and at altitude) although she was ranked higher in the world in a number of subsequent years and still rated in the world's top ten for even more.

Comment

Australia giving up on the sprint meets....

News in yesterday's Canberra times...

The Canberra meet (usually IAAF permit), probably the second/third most prestigious meet in Australia, has been cancelled....

Supposedly due to a clash between the date and the final day of the Youth Olympics because AA won't be able to supply enough officials...

Like it took them until now to realise the clash of dates????? WTF????

Another example of AA's lack of clues in running the sport.

This was also the only relay qualifying meet in Oceania...

Sheesh...

Supposedly some interstate athletes will be invited to the ACT Championships. Shame that they'll be seen by two men and a dog at this snorefest.

Comment

Re: Australia giving up on the sprint meets....

Supposedly some interstate athletes will be invited to the ACT Championships. Shame that they'll be seen by two men and a dog at this snorefest.
            V-e, that is blatantly and insultingly incorrect. I've sometimes seen 2 dogs....

Comment

That's a real shame and must be the first time in a long time that its not had a meet. Canberra's track is on the the fastest around with it's new surface, good place to get a qualifier with its nice winds. A lot of the meet records there are very good.

Not sure how this could have happened with the scheduling, this is basic stuff you expect the governing body and state associations to get right.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedster
                Not sure how this could have happened with the scheduling, this is basic stuff you expect the governing body and state associations to get right.
                You've been overseas a coupla years now speedy, probably forgotten how incompetent AA are..

Comment

The attitude of Athletics Australia to relays seems to have turned 180 degrees (again):

He also wants to get relays back on the agenda - Australia didn't have any representatives in the men's and women's sprints in Beijing.

"The onus is on these guys to put relays as a priority, rather than chasing 9.99sec," he said. "If anyone in Australia believes they have got Usain Bolt then please let me know.

"If they haven't, then they need to start thinking differently about how they approach relays.

"Australia should always be able to produce a relay team that makes the world championships or Olympic final."
                  http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 88,00.html

Comment

Working...
                  X