Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jaques Rogge, a disaster for the sport?

Mr. Rogge once again made a stupid statement and shows he´s not capable to stay as the president of the IOC. He has lost the contact with sport and maybe he has become senile and need to step down of that reason too?
    In my opinion he´s a disaster and should leave IOC as soon as possible.
    He will not recover and we can not wait till 2012. He is "anti-trackandfield", maybe without even knowing it....Right?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... ympics2012

sack him!

Comment

Sadly there didn't seem to be much outrage when the 1996 Olympic stadium was redone as the Atlanta Braves baseball stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato
        Sadly there didn't seem to be much outrage when the 1996 Olympic stadium was redone as the Atlanta Braves baseball stadium.
        This is not quite correct. It was built to be the Braves stadium, with modifications to function as an Olympic Stadium for the Games. A monstrosity, devoid of any personality. No view obstruction, though :wink: .
        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Good to note that Lamine Diack put Rogge in his place.

Warner and De Vos have said nowt as far as I am aware from the National Press.

The Stadium will be given as a gift to a Soccer or Rugby club, as they did for the Manchester Stadium, but whether a Track will remain is not assured. That's a great legacy for Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
            Originally posted by mcgato
            This is not quite correct. It was built to be the Braves stadium, with modifications to function as an Olympic Stadium for the Games. A monstrosity, devoid of any personality. No view obstruction, though :wink: .
            Exactly right. That stadium had as much "character" as the wrapper on a Big Mac. It was just a whole lot bigger...

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
              Exactly right. That stadium had as much "character" as the wrapper on a Big Mac. It was just a whole lot bigger...
              I don't care if it looks like Phyllis Diller before a botox treatment, we need a USA T&F stadium NOW! Hey Doug Logan, get on that now and forget the rouge and mascara. If you build it, I will come!

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                I don't care if it looks like Phyllis Diller before a botox treatment, we need a USA T&F stadium NOW! Hey Doug Logan, get on that now and forget the rouge and mascara. If you build it, I will come!
                We have it already--and the good news is that the U of Oregon takes good care of it!

The problem is that any stadium considered to be large enough for big international meets would be empty or near-empty most of the time. Much better that we have a couple healthy and lively 20 to 30,000 seat stadiums than one 80,000 seater on life support....

Comment

We have it already--and the good news is that the U of Oregon takes good care of it!

The problem is that any stadium considered to be large enough for big international meets would be empty or near-empty most of the time. Much better that we have a couple healthy and lively 20 to 30,000 seat stadiums than one 80,000 seater on life support....
                  Big stadiums is a US thing, as I look out at the monster we have here at UW. i suspect only Wembley is larger in the UK and this is a university stadium.

Most football clubs in the UK have less than 40,000 capacity and one of the best venues for athletics in europe is Bislet. Big stadiums make no sense for track and field.

Comment

I honestly believe the sport of track & field is lacking without an established major venue in the US nor a leg of any grand prix being held there.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Henry
                      I honestly believe the sport of track & field is lacking without an established major venue in the US nor a leg of any grand prix being held there.
                      The Reebok meet in New York and the Pre Classic in Eugene are both IAAF Grand Prix meets.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                        Originally posted by Paul Henry
                        The Reebok meet in New York and the Pre Classic in Eugene are both IAAF Grand Prix meets.
                        Come on man, the london grand prix is a grand prix, Paris is a grand prix. Reebok not being able to seat 5000 fans to see bolt vs gay is not. I want to see support at the professional level similar to that at penn. now that could count as a grand prix like atmosphere and vibe.

I guess what I am asking for is he US to have the most stellar annual track meet short of olys and world champs in the most stellar stadium or arena in the summer.

Comment

That IS a scary thought, Aunty M.....

Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Working...
                          X