Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liu Xiang achilles surgery = end ?

Can he expect to ever get back to his 04-07 form after such surgery? Will it prove to be his Achilles' heel.
    ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Sometimes the injury/rehab process proves to be a boon rather than bane, because the athlete brings a new-found passion to the training. There's no more taking one's abilities for granted and the rededication to goals proves greater than before. Here's to a 12.85!

Comment

Could be that the long-enforced lay-off actually provides him with Jonathan Edwards-like fiber shift towards type IIb.

Comment

Originally posted by cladthin
        Could be that the long-enforced lay-off actually provides him with Jonathan Edwards-like fiber shift towards type IIb.
        Always wondered what JE could have done in the 110H or 400H.
        ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Originally posted by paulthefan
          Always wondered what JE could have done in the 110H or 400H.
          Let's just say he picked the right event. What was his LJ PR? 200?

Comment

What are you saying?
            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Achilles injuries serious enough to require surgery are usually the death of any sprinter's (or sprint hurdler) career. They may return to a world-class level, but seldom return to the level they were before.

Comment

have to agree with above

no achilles op can get you back to the achilles you were born with - you might get strength back, but not the flexibility/range of movement or tendency for it to snap under future great stress

Comment

Donovan Bailey comes to mind who was never the same again after having great season the year before. However Irina Privalova came back to capture Gold, however it was in an less explosive event than her original sprints, though the take off and landing in the long hurdles would still be quite stressful.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedster
                    Donovan Bailey comes to mind who was never the same again after having great season the year before. However Irina Privalova came back to capture Gold, however it was in an less explosive event than her original sprints, though the take off and landing in the long hurdles would still be quite stressful.
                    Maybe we'll see Liu switch to the 400h.

Comment

Wasn't Privolova's surgery to replace her Achilles with a cadaver Achilles?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Michaelson
                        Wasn't Privolova's surgery to replace her Achilles with a cadaver Achilles?
                        I seriously doubt it.

Comment

I just looked it up. Dead soldier's achilles transplanted to Privalova in 1999, 400H Olympic gold in 2000.

Comment

http://www.abc.net.au/olympics/2000/s190134.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Michaelson
                              I just looked it up. Dead soldier's achilles transplanted to Privalova in 1999, 400H Olympic gold in 2000.
                              I stand corrected and Id like to transplant a tendon into Privalova.

back to LX, apparently their are a few from the same Shanghai suburbs that are turning in 13mid as late teens. see iaaf page.

Comment

Working...
                              X