Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An e-RUPP-tion by Galen

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • An e-RUPP-tion by Galen

    Smokes to a 27:41 - 10k over Stanford's CC course

    Event 2 Men 10k Run CC
    ================================================== =====================
    Name Year School Finals Points
    ================================================== =====================
    Results - Men
    1 Rupp, Galen Oregon 27:41.24 1
    2 Kiptoo-Biwott, Shadrack Oregon 28:32.31 2
    3 Kipchumba, Alfred Portland 28:36.02 3
    4 Kinsella, David Portland 28:43.88 4
    5 Derrick, Chris Stanford 28:44.31 5
    6 Puskedra, Luke Oregon 28:45.48 6

  • #2
    Galen ran a great race in warm conditions (84 degrees), but I doubt the course was a full 10,000 meters. This was a new cross country course (even different from the Stanford Invitational). I would like to know how it was measured. The women of Washington ran very well.

    Comment


    • #3
      Short course


      Originally posted by Double R Bar
      Galen ran a great race in warm conditions (84 degrees), but I doubt the course was a full 10,000 meters. This was a new cross country course (even different from the Stanford Invitational). I would like to know how it was measured. The women of Washington ran very well.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by twinpeeks
        Short course
        So everyone PRed by 30 seconds?

        Shouldn't be hard to see what the average PR chunk was - also factoring in the reality that everyone SHOULD be running their best at this point of the season (say, 10 seconds' worth)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by twinpeeks
          Short course
          So everyone PRed by 30 seconds?

          Shouldn't be hard to see what the average PR chunk was - also factoring in the reality that everyone SHOULD be running their best at this point of the season (say, 10 seconds' worth)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Marlow
            Originally posted by twinpeeks
            Short course
            So everyone PRed by 30 seconds?

            Shouldn't be hard to see what the average PR chunk was - also factoring in the reality that everyone SHOULD be running their best at this point of the season (say, 10 seconds' worth)
            In fact, this is a qualifying race and you should be qualifying. If that means you have to run as fast as you can you do that; however, if you do not need to, then you back off some. Look at how Washington's women ran - the #1 was off and the ones that they ran went 3/4/5/6/7/8; the top several might well have run faster but did not need to. If you look at the Great Lakes Regional:

            1 Patrick Smyth SR Notre Dame 31:06.4 1
            2 Andy Baker SR Butler 31:12.5 2
            3 Chris Lemon SO Dayton 31:31.6 3
            4 Landon Peacock SO Wisconsin 31:33.3 4
            5 Stuart Eagon SR Wisconsin 31:33.4 5
            6 Christian Wagner SR Wisconsin 31:35.4 6
            7 Craig Miller JR Wisconsin 31:35.6 7
            8 Lex Williams SR Michigan 31:42.5 8
            9 Ciaran O'Lionard SO Michigan 31:42.6 9
            10 Sean McNamara JR Michigan 31:42.7 11
            10 Craig Forys SO Michigan 31:42.7 10

            I think that both Wisconsin and Michigan could have run faster if that mattered - they both auto-qualified.

            In the Midwest there was:
            1 1 Hassan Mead SO Minnesota 6:24 16:08 22:26 31:15.65 3:08 431
            2 2 Chris Rombough SR Minnesota 6:24 16:08 22:26 31:18.85 3:08 434
            3 3 John Kosgei JR Oklahoma State 6:26 16:10 22:27 31:19.75 3:08 477
            4 4 John Beattie JR Tulsa 6:25 16:08 22:26 31:20.30 3:09 520
            5 5 German Fernandez FR Oklahoma State 6:25 16:09 22:26 31:20.60 3:09 474
            6 6 Ryan Vail SR Oklahoma State 6:26 16:09 22:27 31:20.65 3:09 482
            7 7 David Chirchir JR Oklahoma State 6:26 16:09 22:25 31:20.65 3:09 473

            OSU could have pushed harder.


            Finally, the Mountain Region had a bit of upset - Colorado won and UTEP did not qualify -- they only brought five runners and one did not finish even though a time several minutes behind the winner would have let them qualify.

            Comment


            • #7
              XC isn't about times.

              Comment


              • #8
                85m short, but estimated to be 27.55, nonetheless:

                Article link and/or this.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Anyone see how hard he was running? It seems excessive to win by 50 sec unless he was just cruising and is just that much better.
                  In the sun with a popsicle, everthing is possible

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    He took the lead from the start and really just cruised the course. I think he could have run a lot faster, if needed.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yeah, I believe he was the only Olympian competing in the race so he was simply at another level than the rest of the field...
                      "Long may you run"- Neil Young

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by EPelle
                        85m short, but estimated to be 27.55, nonetheless:

                        Article link and/or this.
                        No source for the 85m claim, I notice.

                        No idea on the actual course length, but the course was in great shape and was nice and dry, and featured a super fast layout.

                        Galen is obviously in amazing shape. Without counting out any other competitors with a shot at winning, it should be a great duel between Rupp and Chelanga. I wouldn't put anything past Fernandez, but I would guess that he'll be sacrificing a bit of personal glory to help Oklahoma State's team chances (i.e. he won't risk going for the win and possibly blowing up, and instead will run a bit more conservatively, at least at first).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by dl
                          No source for the 85m claim, I notice.

                          No idea on the actual course length, but the course was in great shape and was nice and dry, and featured a super fast layout.
                          Register Guard stated in their article this morning that the course was measured at 9915 meters after the race.
                          "Long may you run"- Neil Young

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The first link posted, to newsvine, had another one "read article."

                            From there:

                            Galen Rupp not only qualified for a return trip to the NCAA cross country championships on Saturday, he turned in a race at Stanford Golf Course that ranks among his career highlights.

                            Rupp covered the northern California course -- billed as 10,000 meters but measured to be 85 meters short -- in 27 minutes, 41.24 seconds.
                            Cheers.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by EPelle
                              The first link posted, to newsvine, had another one "read article."

                              From there:

                              Galen Rupp not only qualified for a return trip to the NCAA cross country championships on Saturday, he turned in a race at Stanford Golf Course that ranks among his career highlights.

                              Rupp covered the northern California course -- billed as 10,000 meters but measured to be 85 meters short -- in 27 minutes, 41.24 seconds.
                              Cheers.
                              When I asked who the source was, I was asking who told the reporter that the course was re-measured and was 85 meters short?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X