Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, if I ever saw a non-issue, this sure is it.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
      The metrification of T&F (and XC) has helped kill interest in our sport here in the US. Those who cannot see this are blind . . .
      If that is a case, how do you explain global decline of interest? Correlation does not mean causation.
      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by ed gee
        Why doesn't TFN use the official abbreviation for kilometer? Even USATF gets it right much of the time.

http://www.usatf.org/calendars/national.aspx

Simply because "K" or "k" is often used, does not make it correct.....
        When you see "NCAA" do you say "National Collegiate Athletic Association" or "en-see-eh-eh"?

When you see 6K in our pages you're supposed to say "six-kay"; just like real people talk, not "6 kilometers."

It's a form of acronym (although not exactly), not an abbreviation.

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
          The metrification of T&F (and XC) has helped kill interest in our sport here in the US. Those who cannot see this are blind . . .
          If that is a case, how do you explain global decline of interest? Correlation does not mean causation.
          Second paragraph: http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... 251#508251

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
            Most of the US is surveyed in a system based on 5280' miles. Most of the mid-continent is surveyed in a Township and Range grid, 6 x 6 miles, Many/most towns are laid out in mile grids. I believe the average American has a very good concept of the mile.
            Exactly what I've been ranting about for years. The American landscape is build on a framework of imperial measure.

Comment

[quote=bad hammy]
              Originally posted by "bad hammy":21s7h08b
              Second paragraph: http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/disc...=508251#508251[/quote:21s7h08b]

I don't get it.

BTW, I have no quarrel with the concept of the American soul being attached to the imperial measurements. All I am saying that metrication is not the primary reason for the decline of interest. That is happening everywhere.
              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

[quote=Pego]
                Originally posted by "bad hammy":3509h4wu
                Second paragraph: http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/disc...=508251#508251
                I don't get it.

BTW, I have no quarrel with the concept of the American soul being attached to the imperial measurements. All I am saying that metrication is not the primary reason for the decline of interest. That is happening everywhere.[/quote:3509h4wu]
                I never claimed it was a primary reason for the decline in fan interest - it is one of a number of reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                  Originally posted by lonewolf
                  Most of the US is surveyed in a system based on 5280' miles. Most of the mid-continent is surveyed in a Township and Range grid, 6 x 6 miles, Many/most towns are laid out in mile grids. I believe the average American has a very good concept of the mile.
                  Exactly what I've been ranting about for years. The American landscape is build on a framework of imperial measure.
                  Canada's landscape, of course, has the same framework. But, at some point, we decided we could work with the rest of the Planet, rather than on some position of "above it all". Watch me get booted for this ---- perhaps there is some resonance in the recent Election results --- and maybe that's why the rest of the World was voting 90-10.
                  Summary position - if track/field is dying in the USA because of metrification, then let it die - not worth saving.

Comment

Originally posted by rasb
                    Canada's landscape, of course, has the same framework. But, at some point, we decided we could work with the rest of the Planet, rather than on some position of "above it all".
                    So the (almost entirely rhetorical) proposition to run American cross-country in miles instead of meters means that "we" believe ourselves to be superior to the rest of the planet? That, to put it charitably, is quite a stretch.

My point--and it is not a minor one--is that yards and miles are "real" here in very significant ways. Americans may not be the brightest bulbs on the planet, but they've made it clear by their actions that they are perfectly happy operating in feet, yards, and miles. All the condecending attitudes in the world won't change that.

Comment

All the condecending attitudes in the world won't change that.
                      In fact, it probably reinforces it. And if you do not live in this country, what do you care what distance we run in the NCAA XCs anyways?? Just like I couldn't care less about the dimensions of a soccer or hockey field.

Comment

C'mon, everyone knows it is pronounced "kill-oh-meters"!

Comment

All the condecending attitudes in the world won't change that.
                          In fact, it probably reinforces it. And if you do not live in this country, what do you care what distance we run in the NCAA XCs anyways?? Just like I couldn't care less about the dimensions of a soccer or hockey field.
                          Egg-zactly!

Comment

Well, the point might be that while we are self-stimulating about metric vs. Imperial distances, as if that were the real issue, the fact is that most people understand competition, racing, personalities, and could give a s**t about the exact distance and time. Everyone understands foot-racing - it is a fundamental principle that everyone has experienced. That's what we should focus on, not whether it is an imperial or a metric race. And relative to the last couple of posts, no-one knows or cares about the exact dimensions of a hockey rink or a soccer pitch, which is my point. Those sports are growing, regardless of the dimensions of the competitive arena, and regardless of which Country you live in.

Comment

And relative to the last couple of posts, no-one knows or cares about the exact dimensions of a hockey rink or a soccer pitch
                              I don't think there is even a standard size for soccer pitches.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                                And relative to the last couple of posts, no-one knows or cares about the exact dimensions of a hockey rink or a soccer pitch
                                I don't think there is even a standard size for soccer pitches.
                                There is indeed. FIFA says so. It's a range minimum/maximum.

The length of a pitch must be between 100 yards (90m) and 130 yards (120m) and the width not less than 50 yards (45m) and not more than 100 yards (90m).

Comment

Working...
                                X