Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dj
    replied
    What I see locally is an odd mix: 10K and 3.1M races.

Of course the first is road racing and the second is high school cross country. But that's the way the distances are generally reported. Go figure.

Leave a comment:

• rasb
    replied
    Although I share gh's concern to pump life into our sport, I can't believe that anyone thinks making a 10K into a 6 mile would move the charts.
    The number of Americans who have run or jogged or walked or watched or had a relative take part in a 10K in a year, must be enormous. And often these are huge City events, with accompanying charity and media hype, so I can's see the 10K being considered an arcane event. What am I missing here?

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Certainly glad you're not in charge of any plans to pump life into the sport. By all means, let's keep it as arcane as possible.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Re: Time to boot meters out of XC

Originally posted by gh
    Nobody's running for a qualifying time at a specific distance that's required to run on any international team, so why run at a length that means nothing to the man in the street?
    Because they really don't care?
    Because everyone that does care does know what the distances mean?
    Because we would like to part of the international community?
    Because we DO like to compare times across time (last 20 years, as you point out) and across continents?
    Because, as you point out, the distance is not a big deal in XC?

My 'appreciation' of XC is below the norm on this site, but waaaay above the norm for our culture, so, as the man in middle, those are my guesses.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Murphy
    replied
    Amen, brother.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    started a topic Time to boot meters out of XC

Time to boot meters out of XC

(in the U.S.)

Nobody's running for a qualifying time at a specific distance that's required to run on any international team, so why run at a length that means nothing to the man in the street?

Why not be more friendly to your potential viewer base and run good old miles?

And no, 20 years of running 10,000s instead of 6M has not created any sense of awareness as to how long 10K is in the minds of anyone except those who run them.

And even if you believe the 10K has some currency, don't try to tell me that the women's 6K distance is anything that anybody has a real-distance fix on.

(of course, the fact that men and women aren't running the same distance is another crime, but I'll leave that rant for another time)
Working...
X