Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob H
    No, it really wouldn't. For one thing, I have no idea what's going on with these new reported positives. I know only what I've been reading today in the same news stories that everyone else is reading.

Moreover, if there ever came to be a time when I had inside knowledge about the facts, or personal thoughts about what actions should be taken by whom and against whom, it would be entirely inappropriate for me to share that knowledge and those thoughts on a public forum like this one. In fact, I don't even speak about such things privately with my track friends.
    Bob

The request was more centered on the lack of comment or action regarding the wealth of testing positives coming out of a single camp, w/ a single coach, from a single Federation & no comment or action by the IAAF or WADA against the coach or Federation. It is doubly troubling when one of the largest IAAF sponsors is a Russian Bank.

Comment

On the other hand, if the IAAF was at all intimidated by the Russian camp, they never would have mounted that months-long, complicated, matching-samples operation that finally led to all the DQs last year.

My gripe is more specifically with not going after coaches/federations in general, starting w/ the Hungarian guy who had both gold medalists that got DQed in Athens in '04.

As long as they have sacrificial lambs (read, athletes) to feed to the testers, those in charge of real doping programs (as opposed to athletes free-lancing by themselves) can continue to feel rather bulletproof.

Comment

And as the noose tightens, latest story on front page says the track guy is male who won one gold. (if the source is correct)

At this point, you gotta be thinking, as someone else noted earlier, ABB! (anybody but Bolt!)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          And as the noose tightens, latest story on front page says the track guy is male who won one gold. (if the source is correct)

At this point, you gotta be thinking, as someone else noted earlier, ABB! (anybody but Bolt!)
          Or Bekele - which would almost as bad as Bolt. Saying that the male won one gold was a nice way of heading off rumors on those two during the next few weeks. If the one Italian on the list really is a cyclist, the track guy can't be Schwazer either. Looking at the results from Beijing, I don't think it is a given at all that the track male is Russian. Or even an endurance athlete, considering apparently one of the athletes is a weightlifter.

But how would CERA benefit a weightlifter? Did somebody play a prank on the team doctor and label the CERA bottle "HGH"?

Comment

Originally posted by lapsus
            But how would CERA benefit a weightlifter?
            http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... p?p=304373

See that thread where there was a bit of discussion about the benefits of epo for sprinters. i think there are others in the archives too.

Comment

there's a really obvious track guy as far as i'm concerned !!
              i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
                there's a really obvious track guy as far as i'm concerned !!
                Someone that does not compete on the circuit that much? We'll see.

Comment

I'm not sure mump has the same name in his mind as I do, but a I'd bet a couple € on one male gold medallist to be the one who is turning out positive.

Comment

If it's not Borchin then maybe it is RR....I would so love it to be RR.

I was sent something by email a while ago which implicated a Russian female distance runner who won gold and entered two events. My first thoughts were that it was her..then realsied it said it was a man ops: :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by midnightsun
                      I'm not sure mump has the same name in his mind as I do, but a I'd bet a couple € on one male gold medallist to be the one who is turning out positive.
                      Well, it will be one male gold medalist. Save your €uros. ;-)

Comment

well, "one gold medallist" meaning "one particular gold medallist", else I would have worded it "A gold medallist"

Comment

Pulling your leg 8-)

Comment

hello everyone i am new here but have been reading since the demise of track shark.
                            Well concerning the CERA tests; the track athlete could be anyone from a hurdler to a relay team member to a walker. Its really too ambiguous right now to be worried.

Comment

yes but it's not like we have thousands of gold medallists in T&F. The pool of names is pretty small.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                                Originally posted by AthleticsInBritain

Given the apparent unreliability of the EPO tests (according to some posters on here) and the relatively short half life, you'd really imagine that EPO is something a lot of athletes might think worth taking a chance on.
                                The half life of this type of EPO is much longer than with previous versions. Thus, athletes who had the drug were not so aware that they could test positive so long after the last use. However, one would suspect that there should not be the percentage positives as seen at the Tour since it was known since the Tour that the new version had these characteristics and that tests cold detect it (previously apparently it was thought to not be very detectable).
                                Background on CERA and why it is an "easier" test for labs than regular EPO: http://www.velonews.com/article/80701

Long and short of it- CERA molecules don't look like natural EPO and thus are easier to isolate and test for. Plus WADA had a jump on the users.

Comment

Working...
                                X