Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vip
    ..... I bet the majority of hard-core fans and readers have already read the results and a summary and even watched highlights of those meets well before the mag comes out......
    Don't give up your day job and get into handicapping! :-)

Seriously; you would be stunned to discover that many (maybe even most) T&FN subscribers are not wired into getting their track stuff via electronic means.

You think we continue to publish as we do because we're stupid?

Comment

January 2009 issue

Originally posted by gh
      Originally posted by vip
      ..... I bet the majority of hard-core fans and readers have already read the results and a summary and even watched highlights of those meets well before the mag comes out......
      Don't give up your day job and get into handicapping! :-)

Seriously; you would be stunned to discover that many (maybe even most) T&FN subscribers are not wired into getting their track stuff via electronic means.

You think we continue to publish as we do because we're stupid?
      I agree. When I was T&FN statistican my superiors said that most readers prefer features. I must admit that T&FN has improved 100% in the 41 years after I left.

Color photos help, but the emphasis now is on results of major meets and features. Fanatics such as I now have eTN. Before then I had to search newstands for every newspaper to find results, then read TN a few days later and finally read T&FN full of results a few weeks later. Now I enjoy the features & "Big Picture" articles in T&FN at my leisure.

We "hard-core fans" are much less numerous than "readers" IMHO.
      none

Comment

Re: January 2009 issue

Originally posted by Gleason
        Fanatics such as I now have eTN. Before then I had to search newstands for every newspaper to find results, then read TN a few days later and finally read T&FN full of results a few weeks later.
        Are you saying that there was a time when T&FN had more results than TN? Was that ever the case?

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
          Fanatics such as I now have eTN. Before then I had to search newstands for every newspaper to find results, then read TN a few days later and finally read T&FN full of results a few weeks later.
          Are you saying that there was a time when T&FN had more results than TN? Was that ever the case?
          NO. T&FN now has more features & fewer results than it did 50 years ago when TN began, but TN always had more results than T&FN.

Six - deep results in every event of every major meet were common in T&FN in the 1960s.

If my memory is correct, TN usually had 5% to 10% of the number of T&FN subscribers when I worked there..
          none

Comment

T&FN now has more features & fewer results than it did 50 years ago when TN began, but TN always had more results than T&FN.
            That's what I thought. I was just confused when you said:

Before then I had to search newstands for every newspaper to find results, then read TN a few days later and finally read T&FN full of results a few weeks later.
            That made it sound as if you read results in T&FN that you hadn't seen before, which would not have been the case if you subscribed to TN.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
              T&FN now has more features & fewer results than it did 50 years ago when TN began, but TN always had more results than T&FN.
              That's what I thought. I was just confused when you said:

Before then I had to search newstands for every newspaper to find results, then read TN a few days later and finally read T&FN full of results a few weeks later.
              That made it sound as if you read results in T&FN that you hadn't seen before, which would not have been the case if you subscribed to TN.
              Newspapers supplied some results, TN supplied ALL results, T&FN supplied more results than it does now with more features than TN, but fewer than now.
              Thanks for the question.
              none

Comment

Working...
              X