Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spikes and Flats [a Brooks Johnson update]

http://blog.spikesandflats.com/

A must read from the front page of TFN. They wanted a show and now we have one. People are only going to let themselves be slandered for so long.

Thanks for sharing the link to Brooks Johnson's blog posts. Despite whatever opinions one might have of Brooks, I think we can all agree that he is a talented communicator and certainly is dedicated to and incredibly knowledgeable of our sport.

However, who was asking for a fight? And who slandered who? What slanderous comments are you referring to?

Comment

Want some insight into the judgment and character of those intimately involved in the bidding process (such as John Chaplin)?

This tells you a lot of what you need to know:

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=13776

Comment

Originally posted by endurancefiend23
        Want some insight into the judgment and character of those intimately involved in the bidding process (such as John Chaplin)?

This tells you a lot of what you need to know:

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=13776
        Good stuff. Hightower's unmitigated favoritism in the case of Hasay at the Trials, motivated by the Big Bux Brothers(Nike & NBC), should be required reading for anyone voting next month.
        There are no strings on me

Comment

Balderdash

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            Balderdash
            Tell that to Newhart and Briscoe.

Comment

In less than four posts the bias has emerged. I have sat back and watched and read and listened.
              You guys out there with the chip on your shoulder continue to operate on half truths and your own reality, regardless of truth, facts, or other perspectives.
              I thought Stephanie was a racists and sprint oriented and a thief, yet now we have her favoring Hasay in the name of Nike? You guys are all over the map with this thing. It has reached a ridiculous level.
              And trust me, a must read is what Brooks has written. We have been inundated with months of innuendo and accusation towards, Steph, and Brooks. And now Brooks has spoken up on a key issue behind the accusations of corruption.
              Sometimes it is not about who you believe but have you listened to all the information to draw an informed conclusion. Up until Brooks' blog there has only been one side presented, and none of it contained specific info to be honest, just allegations and the claim there is an investigation, and cries that we should all know about this. Well now we have names, and places and the source is not anonymous or hiding.
              As I said, folks will only allow themselves to be talked about for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke
                I thought Stephanie was a racists and sprint oriented and a thief....

I've said no such thing. Whether or not that is true I'll leave for others. What I do care about is fair and equal application of rules.

All I know is this - there were rules regarding the conduct of the Trials, and requirements of Junior athletes that planned to compete at the Junior Worlds. Some(read: all but one) had to abide by said rules, others(read: one) did not.

Comment

never meant to imply you called her any of these things. I was making a general reference to the critics
                  Pls tell me what is the big deal about the Hasay situation?

Comment

Originally posted by middledistancer
                    Despite whatever opinions one might have of Brooks, I think we can all agree that he is a talented communicator and certainly is dedicated to and incredibly knowledgeable of our sport.
                    Huh. I've heard him speak a few times and that was not the impression I got. I would not consider that something "we can all agree on." Reading those two blog posts definitely did not make me think he was a talented communicator.

I think he has been around the sport a really long time and has lots of interesting stories to tell. When I heard him speak, I thought a story or two were inappropriate, but maybe I am just old fashioned. ops:

Comment

Originally posted by guru
                      Originally posted by Smoke
                      I thought Stephanie was a racists and sprint oriented and a thief....

I've said no such thing. Whether or not that is true I'll leave for others. What I do care about is fair and equal application of rules.

All I know is this - there were rules regarding the conduct of the Trials, and requirements of Junior athletes that planned to compete at the Junior Worlds. Some(read: all but one) had to abide by said rules, others(read: one) did not.
                      Not to parse words too finely but my take is that you are confusing "rules" with "operating procedures." For financial and security (i.e., chaperone) reasons, USATF, properly, wanted everybody to head to Poland together.

When it turned out that Hasay's parents were willing to facilitate a solution which would take care of those two problems, USATF wisely accepted. It was a crying shame that Briscoe didn't have the same opportunity, but you'd be happier if two athletes were punished instead of just one?

You'd be happier if the OT had been deprived of two of the most crowd-pleasing races that were run? To say nothing of ans and Hasay being deprived of a new High School Record?

You're one bitter dude.

There are lots of things you can throw rocks at Hightower for. This just isn't one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        You're one bitter dude.

Typical gh.

As I explained at the time -

I have no problem with Hasay running. I have a HUGE problem with an organization that doles out thousands upon thousands of dollars for it's hierarchy to fly to and fro, yet could not scare up a few extra hundred dollars to provide it's young stars the opportunity to compete at the Trials if they went beyond the window of the "official" flight to Poland. It's a shame when money, or more to the point, who has it and who doesn't, decides who gets the opportunity to compete in an Olympic Trials final.

And let me say this - I have no doubt that some sponsor would have stepped up for Briscoe to cover the difference in flight expenses if that were the only thing USATF had been worried about. Hell, I would have done that through MY business IN A HEARTBEAT if given the opportunity. The guardian issue would have been a non-starter if she flew with the Hasays.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
                          When I heard him speak, I thought a story or two were inappropriate, but maybe I am just old fashioned. ops:
                          but you're the young lady & he's the ole man

isn't it supposed to be the other way round ?

Comment

as a non-yank ( outsider ) looking in, but huge fan of yank athletics, i can find find little fault with your actual trials

hasay business ( whatever that is/was ?! ) shoudn't deflect from what the trials were meant to be - not a sideshow about a kid, but the right venue to get the best team

basically, the best team was sent ( apart from 100m-women - 1 change required )

eugene may have been windy, but you sent as good a team as any venue couda

the only problem was :

your trials were too close to peking...

Comment

On a second reading of your post this statement stands out.

Originally posted by gh
                              When it turned out that Hasay's parents were willing to facilitate a solution which would take care of those two problems, USATF wisely accepted. It was a crying shame that Briscoe didn't have the same opportunity.....

We can assume you know that Briscoe was approached by Hightower and offered the same "deal"?

We can then also assume you know that Briscoe and her family declined for financial reasons?

Comment

Working...
                              X