X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5k Guy
    replied
    Re: US Men's Marathon Olympic Trials Prediction Contest

Nice performance MJD. Congrats to the winners.

This was one of the better Oly Men's Marathon Trials with the strongest team (on paper) since 1984.

It would have been interesting to see the times if it was 10 degrees warmer and there was no wind.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

>What is this counting all 10 stuff. I wanted more cross country like counting.
    >You know, you can run 10 but only 7 count and then you take your best five
    >scores for a final point total.
    (Guess I should hvae read the rules).

My
    >1,2,3,6,7,8,11 would have been a tough 7 to beat. Top 5 score of 19. Top 7
    >score of 38. Did anyone beat that?

Shay (23), Mitchell (72) and Hanneck
    >(72) were just my wild card selections.

I demand a rule change and a
    >re-count. (Not really but I was just trying to get into the political spirit,
    >it being an election year and all.)

That was my thought before the contest but I've re-evaluated my position on that. A bunch of us had 1,2,3,5,6 which is 17. I think only two of us had 1,2,3,5,6,7,8 which is 32. Either way, dusty7crack still wins no matter what tiebreaker method you use.

Leave a comment:

• 5k Guy
    replied

What is this counting all 10 stuff. I wanted more cross country like counting. You know, you can run 10 but only 7 count and then you take your best five scores for a final point total.
    (Guess I should hvae read the rules).

My 1,2,3,6,7,8,11 would have been a tough 7 to beat. Top 5 score of 19. Top 7 score of 38. Did anyone beat that?

Shay (23), Mitchell (72) and Hanneck (72) were just my wild card selections.

I demand a rule change and a re-count. (Not really but I was just trying to get into the political spirit, it being an election year and all.)

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied

I had 1,2,3,7,8,11 and all it got me was 237th. Congratulations, MJD!

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

Yes! I was an awesome 250th place! I will be talking big-time smack now after that awesome display of insight, intuition, stat-collecting, 35 years of fan experience and my 8 shelf track library! Bring on Athens!

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

Well, that makes up for my 4th last or whatever it was in the NCAA contest.

Leave a comment:

• IFK_Vaxjo
    replied

I must say I've never had so little knowledge about anything in Athletics as this, but It's fun with lotterys...

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

"...lets hope with the extra time to recover we can outdo our 1972 olympic finishes of 1,4,9..."

Oh my God! This is BY FAR the most hilarious thing I've read in years! What brilliant, devastating, and ironic wit! This writer deserves a place in the Comedy Hall of Fame. Sir: your talents are being pathetically wasted on this board. You're destined for far bigger and better things!

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

'lets hope with the extra time to recover we can outdo our 1972 olympic finishes of 1,4,9'

I presume that is a joke. (Unless, of course, our guys are allowed into the women's race.) I agree with Kuha lets forget 04 which is hopeless and pick the team for 08 now! With 4 years to recover they may have a chance.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

Interesting contest-everyone counts. The problem with picking 10 top guys is, odds are, if they are just trying to make the team, they will likely just dnf where the slower guys will finish by hook or by crook.

Leave a comment:

• Dutra
    replied

>>>>Isn't it a little bit early to select people for the Olympics?

Not
    >for
    >the
    >marathon. They'll need plenty of time to recover.>

They didn't
    >in '72
    >or '76.

And look how badly they performed...>

The U.S. should perform as poorly every Olympiad.

Leave a comment:

• Dutra
    replied

>lets hope with the extra time to recover we can outdo our 1972 olympic finishes
    >of 1,4,9, even though our 3rd place marathoner in the 1972 marathon trials,
    >galloway, opted to run only the 10k, so his friend jack bacheler, could run the
    >olympic marathon.>

Galloway finished 4th in the marathon trials. He and Bachelor came onto the track together and Galloway eased off to allow Bachelor 3rd place.

Leave a comment:

• larry j greer
    replied

lets hope with the extra time to recover we can outdo our 1972 olympic finishes of 1,4,9, even though our 3rd place marathoner in the 1972 marathon trials, galloway, opted to run only the 10k, so his friend jack bacheler, could run the olympic marathon.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

Exactly! We've been just smashingly brilliant in the Olympic marathon of late, as everyone knows... Instead of 6 months recovery, perhaps 6 years would be even better.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

>>>Isn't it a little bit early to select people for the Olympics?

Not for
    >the
    >marathon. They'll need plenty of time to recover.>

They didn't in '72
    >or '76.

And look how badly they performed...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X