Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mPV MS Rankings

The Marks Snob is back with the mPV. I remind you that we are looking at quality of marks, but more important is how they did against elite fields jumping high. Picking an initial group is easy, just look at their SECOND best mark of the season. We get

Walker 600
    Hooker 597
    Lukyanenko 597

Then a drop to the next tier

Miles 580
    Kucheryanu 580
    Mazuryk 580
    Holzdeppe 575
    Straub 575
    Pavlov 575

Now we rank the top meets by number and depth of competitors

1. OG
    2. London
    3. WAF
    4. Lausanne
    5. Athens

There were 3 other meets that I looked at, but Berlin was just too early (peaking being taken into consideration); Paris and Rieti had decent fields but so-so marks.

We notice right away that some elite vaulters were ‘bar jumpers’, jumped well but not in the big meets: Kucheryanu, Mazuryk, Holzdeppe, Pavlov.

So, after weighing the rest of jumpers in the big meets, we end up six vaulters who were clearly the best of the best:

1. Hooker - OG 1, Lond 2 – coulda used some more high finishes, but you can’t argue with what he did when he competed
    2. Luky – OG 2, Lond 1, Laus 1, WAF 5 – Barely edged by Hooker
    3. Miles – OG 4, WAF 1, Laus 2, Athens 3 – upset over Walker, but did more
    4. Walker – Athens 1, WAF 2, London 3, Laus 4 – very good, except OG
    5. Yurch – OG 3, London 6, Athens 6 – Solid
    6. Straub – Laus 3, London 4, WAF 4 – competed well enough to make top 6

You're ignoring one of the year's major honors: World Indoor, won by Lukyanenko.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
      You're ignoring one of the year's major honors: World Indoor, won by Lukyanenko.
      Personally I would ignore any marks or honors won indoors for any events, period.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
        Originally posted by gh
        Personally I would ignore any marks or honors won indoors for any events, period.
        Which is exactly what I did. If Berlin's June 1 is too early for people to be peaked, what is March . . . indoors . . . when a great many elite athletes don't even deign to compete! :roll: Never a consideration.

Comment

bad hammy, such the purest. i go with

Hooker (reinging Oly Champ)
          Lukeyenko (Oly Silver and very good all year)
          Miles (consistent and big wins)
          Walker (6.04!! count it.....)
          Yurchenko ( he got himself a medal)

Originally posted by gh

Comment

Originally posted by twinpeeks
            bad hammy, such the purest. i go with

Hooker (reinging Oly Champ)
            Lukeyenko (Oly Silver and very good all year)
            Miles (consistent and big wins)
            Walker (6.04!! count it.....)
            Yurchenko ( he got himself a medal)

Originally posted by gh
            I appreciate what Miles did this year but it is really difficult to put him ahead of Walker with a 6.04 and a 6.00 this year in real competitions. Too bad Walker had such god awful Olympic Trials and OG's outcomes.

Comment

Re: mPV MS Rankings

Actually the marks are

Walker 6.04
              Hooker 6.00
              Lukyanko 6.01

Originally posted by Marlow
              The Marks Snob is back with the mPV. I remind you that we are looking at quality of marks, but more important is how they did against elite fields jumping high. Picking an initial group is easy, just look at their SECOND best mark of the season. We get

Walker 600
              Hooker 597
              Lukyanenko 597

Then a drop to the next tier

Miles 580 (he cleared 5.85 at Brandenburg)
              Kucheryanu 580
              Mazuryk 580
              Holzdeppe 575 (he cleared 5.80)
              Straub 575
              Pavlov 575

Now we rank the top meets by number and depth of competitors

1. OG
              2. London
              3. WAF
              4. Lausanne
              5. Athens

There were 3 other meets that I looked at, but Berlin was just too early (peaking being taken into consideration); Paris and Rieti had decent fields but so-so marks.

We notice right away that some elite vaulters were ‘bar jumpers’, jumped well but not in the big meets: Kucheryanu, Mazuryk, Holzdeppe, Pavlov.

So, after weighing the rest of jumpers in the big meets, we end up six vaulters who were clearly the best of the best:

1. Hooker - OG 1, Lond 2 – coulda used some more high finishes, but you can’t argue with what he did when he competed
              2. Luky – OG 2, Lond 1, Laus 1, WAF 5 – Barely edged by Hooker
              3. Miles – OG 4, WAF 1, Laus 2, Athens 3 – upset over Walker, but did more
              4. Walker – Athens 1, WAF 2, London 3, Laus 4 – very good, except OG
              5. Yurch – OG 3, London 6, Athens 6 – Solid
              6. Straub – Laus 3, London 4, WAF 4 – competed well enough to make top 6

Comment

Working...
              X