Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do this years recruiting rankings need to be updated?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Do this years recruiting rankings need to be updated?

    With the news that the Borlee twins will be attending FSU this spring, should FSU jump their in-state rival and take over the #1 spot??

    http://www.european-athletics.org/index ... 4&Itemid=2

  • #2
    I'm pretty sure they will TRAIN there (as did J Edwards), not attend FSU.

    Comment


    • #3
      But it says that FSU has offered them scholarships... seems like that might be in exchange for competing... ?

      Comment


      • #4
        After running on the GP circuit I would have thought the NCAA would consider them pros.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by gh
          After running on the GP circuit I would have thought the NCAA would consider them pros.
          They're in the wrong corner of the country if they want to pull that off.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by gh
            After running on the GP circuit I would have thought the NCAA would consider them pros.
            It can be hard to prove.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by polevaultpower
              Originally posted by gh
              After running on the GP circuit I would have thought the NCAA would consider them pros.
              It can be hard to prove.
              I can prove they ran on the GP circuit:

              http://www.iaaf.org/gle08/results/event ... ml#detM400

              http://www.iaaf.org/gp08/results/eventC ... .html#M400

              http://www.iaaf.org/gp08/results/eventC ... .html#M400

              Now, that wasn't too hard was it? :lol:

              Comment


              • #8
                I mean it's hard to prove they accepted money. Maybe anything they won ostensibly went to their track club instead of in their pockets.

                Comment


                • #9
                  To me it sounds like they will be running for FSU this year. I'm not thinking they will stay much longer.... money talks.

                  "IF" they are running for FSU, are they now #1 in recruiting?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Our ratings are based on the fall class.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      This sends up all kinds of red flags to me.

                      Kevin is a second year student of physiotherapy, while Jonathan is pursuing a bachelor's degree in economic sciences. The twins initially plan to stay in FSU from January to June 2009, and will decide on an extension after that. The FSU is offering them each a scholarship worth 25,000 USD for their studies, training and accomodation during that period.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Marlow
                        This sends up all kinds of red flags to me.

                        Kevin is a second year student of physiotherapy, while Jonathan is pursuing a bachelor's degree in economic sciences. The twins initially plan to stay in FSU from January to June 2009, and will decide on an extension after that. The FSU is offering them each a scholarship worth 25,000 USD for their studies, training and accomodation during that period.
                        Such as?

                        It certainly sounds like a potential hired gun situation, but nothing in the paragraph quoted sounds like a violation (other than the scholarship amount, which certainly exceeds the cost of FSU for one semester).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I don't recall Florida State ever in this situation before, so I'm definitely not pointing a finger at them, but other schools have certainly abused the process by bringing in "mature" foreigners at mid-year (or worse, in March in a quarter-system school) and having them be one-year mercenaries.

                          And if they never attend a single class (which we've heard of), it makes no difference, right? Nobody's eligibility ever depended on a mid-term.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by gh
                            I don't recall Florida State ever in this situation before, so I'm definitely not pointing a finger at them, but other schools have certainly abused the process by bringing in "mature" foreigners at mid-year (or worse, in March in a quarter-system school) and having them be one-year mercenaries.

                            And if they never attend a single class (which we've heard of), it makes no difference, right? Nobody's eligibility ever depended on a mid-term.
                            Yep, similar to Bobby Knight's complaint about the one-year rule with college bballers going to the NBA -- there is no incentive whatsoever to go to class during the season.

                            It's certainly not in the spirit of the rules, but until things are changed, it's not a violation. Now, the whole amateur thing seems to be an entirely different ball of wax. Does anyone know/recall if these guys appeared to have shoe sponsorship during the GP season?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I'm pretty sure they were wearing shoes :-)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X