Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not enough 400m talent in state of FL

Great to see that the state of FL is bringing in some talent at 400m from .... Belgium..yes Belgium. Full scholarship from the FL taxpayer to Olympic finalist from Belgium. Great to see the FSU Regents have their priorites straight, as dutiful global citizens we can thank them that FL tax dollars are not dissipated on home grown talent.
    ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Coach Braman became the National Championship coach by aggressive, pro-active recruiting (and good Xs and Os). I don't necessarily agree with his methods (I do agree that there's enough home-grown studs that he could develop), but they are effective, and he's paid (handsomely now, not so much at first) for the Ws. If you want the best D1 program, his is the way to do it. Arkansas was not shy about ferriners either.

Comment

Re: not enough 400m talent in state of FL

Originally posted by paulthefan
      Great to see that the state of FL is bringing in some talent at 400m from .... Belgium..yes Belgium. Full scholarship from the FL taxpayer to Olympic finalist from Belgium. Great to see the FSU Regents have their priorites straight, as dutiful global citizens we can thank them that FL tax dollars are not dissipated on home grown talent.
      I would guess that all scholarship money at FSU comes directly from athletic revenues/booster donations, rather than through state or federal funding.

Comment

A college track coach has an obligation to go for the best talent regardless of nationality. His duty is not to develop home grown talent. Thats USATF's job.

Coaches are hired to win, to develop atheletes academically and athletically, but he is under no obligation to develop homegrown talent. If he does its a bonus.

You cant compete with the likes of LSU with their legion of foreigners if you only rely on homegrown talent

Comment

Lets just hope we can keep the taxpayer in the dark, sing with me: "feed the world" and then "imagine".
          ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Lets just hope we can keep the taxpayer in the dark, sing with me: "feed the world" and then "imagine".
            Paul,

Again: Athletic scholarships at a place like FSU come not from taxpayer contribution, but from the athletic endowment/booster donations.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM
              Paul,

Again: Athletic scholarships at a place like FSU come not from taxpayer contribution, but from the athletic endowment/booster donations.
              Kevin,

The state of FL is the owner of the Florida State University, however many lock boxes and special funds you can enumerate. Just because FSU football players (training 3x longer than track athletes per 9months) bring in the money for the track team does not change the fact that the state of FL might have some obligation to its residents, or does it not?

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM
                Paul,

Kevin,

The state of FL is the owner of the Florida State University, however many lock boxes and special funds you can enumerate. Just because FSU football players (training 3x longer than track athletes per 9months) bring in the money for the track team does not change the fact that the state of FL might have some obligation to its residents, or does it not?
                FSU certainly has obligations to the state of Florida and its citizens, but whether the athletic department in general, or the track & field team in particular, do, is another question.

I don't think anyone would cry foul if the Seminoles won a football national title with lots of national recruits.

And Paul, I don't think you minded that many of the Huskies on the winning NCAA XC team weren't from the Emerald State, did you?

Comment

Originally posted by dl
                  I don't think anyone would cry foul if the Seminoles won a football national title with lots of national recruits.

And Paul, I don't think you minded that many of the Huskies on the winning NCAA XC team weren't from the Emerald State, did you?
                  recruiting in state == very very good
                  recruiting in country == very good

recruiting out of country == not good.
                  recruiting 25 year olds out of country == should be a federal felony.

WSU winning xc championships with Kenyan talent is a national disgrace.

Comment

except WSU never won

Comment

Athletic Associations and the state universities that they represent are separate institutions financially. Tax paying dollars has nothing to do with Florida State University athletics. I do not know where you get your info from, but you need to check it.

Comment

Originally posted by BE
                        Athletic Associations and the state universities that they represent are separate institutions financially. Tax paying dollars has nothing to do with Florida State University athletics. I do not know where you get your info from, but you need to check it.
                        That is right, there is a "lock box" just like your social security "contributions".

Comment

Originally posted by BE

So, if the state of Fl decides to stop funding for Fl St University and shuts it down, do you think the Seminoles will keep on going as a sports organization?

Comment

Hey, at least they got a good foreigner, university of illinois has several international products, a crummy team, and it broke my heart to see that the Illinois high school kids would have won the "what state did you grow up in" NCAA XC championships :cry:

Comment

Originally posted by hjumper33
                              ...it broke my heart to see that the Illinois high school kids would have won the "what state did you grow up in" NCAA XC championships :cry:
                              You're sad because the kids got to go to college in other states?... isn't that a (small) part of the American rite-of-passage?

Comment

Working...
                              X