Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Youssef Kamel return to Kenya (give up Bahrain)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youssef Kamel return to Kenya (give up Bahrain)

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story.as ... ueID=31258

"We have provided all the necessary conditions for him to succeed, but unfortunately he never reached his true potential,"
    blimey !

1'42.79 !!!???

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
      "We have provided all the necessary conditions for him to succeed, but unfortunately he never reached his true potential,"
      blimey !

1'42.79 !!!???
      Yeah it's a little strange since he has run 1:43.XX or better ever since joining Bahrain in 2003. Maybe they're referring to his championship record? Aside from his bronze at the WIC this year, he has not medaled at an Oly or World Championships. In fact, this Olympics was the first major championship meet where he has made the final.

Comment

From what I gather, It's more that he has been sent packing. Does anyone foresee and issue with Kenya not allowing him to race at the majors, leaving him off teams etc?

Comment

what will his choice for a name be now that he is not representing an Arabic country?

Comment

He originally ran as Gregory Konchellah

Comment

Originally posted by Jaack
              From what I gather, It's more that he has been sent packing. Does anyone foresee and issue with Kenya not allowing him to race at the majors, leaving him off teams etc?
              I'd tell him exactly where to go.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                Related to Billy Konchellah?

Comment

Originally posted by ndamix
                  Originally posted by gh
                  Related to Billy Konchellah?
                  Yes, son

Comment

It seems as though he is going through with it.
                    Two articles on http://www.labatet.com would seem to confirm that he has revoked his Bahrain "residency".
                    I'd be delighted to see the name Konchellah back on the circuit, although his cousin Felix may well appear in the near future.
                    It's a shame his father's reputation has accumulated some unwanted baggage since his retirement - not track related.

Comment

I remember he was going to trial; did he end up in the slam?

Comment

Wiki (I know, I know) suggests he was acquitted of UK charges (rape), but deported to Finland and convicted of separate charges there. He's clearly back in Kenya now and an official with one of the regional branches of the Kenyan federation.

Comment

I'll dare a prophecy that Gregory Konchellah is not the last of this wave of repatriates to depart their "adopted" country.
                          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

and in the coming-back-to-bite-you-in-the-ass department, a European friend notes that the Kenyan Federation is lobbying like mad to have Kamel/Konchellah back instantly ready to represent them..... the same Kenyan Federation, of course, that blocked Bernard Lagat's chances to do the same for another country (and in an earlier era, Wilson Kipketer).

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              and in the coming-back-to-bite-you-in-the-ass department, a European friend notes that the Kenyan Federation is lobbying like mad to have Kamel/Konchellah back instantly ready to represent them..... the same Kenyan Federation, of course, that blocked Bernard Lagat's chances to do the same for another country (and in an earlier era, Wilson Kipketer).
                              As I see it, the Kenyan federation was spot on. Grassroots coaches in Kenya spend a lot of time and money scouting and developing young runners only to see them defect. Basically other federations and reaping what they did not sow. No wonder AK does not want to let them go easy.

Comment

Working...
                              X