Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New WADA rule on athlete availability

Maybe they should just all wear ankle bracelets? :-)

Athletes have to have an hour set aside every day for surprise contact. See story on front page.

Miracle of miracles - I actually saw this first in my local newspaper this morning.

Comment

no, a miracle is when you see Olympic sports in your sports page for something actually related to sports, not drugs.

Comment

What difference does it make. Some countries do not even allow WADA in their country to test. Seems to me those countries should not be allowed to compete in international comps unless they change. Testing after a comp is good but those that know how, can clean themselves up, but still get the benifits during training. Mandate, if you want to compete in international comps you must allow WADA in and have your people tested.

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/7901743.stm

Even Isinbayeva thinks these rules are stupid

Comment

Re: New WADA rule on athlete availability

Originally posted by gh
            Athletes have to have an hour set aside every day for surprise contact. See story on front page.
            Wouldn't that be an improvement over the old system? The athletes will no longer have to be afraid to go shopping for fear testers might turn up and count that as a missed test. They will just have to make sure they are at home every day between, say, 7 and 8 AM.
            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

I think that whatever system is in place, the top dozen honchos at WADA, IOC and all the federations should be part of the reporting/testing pool. If all this is a minor inconvenience that's just the price to pay, then they should be perfectly willing to do so.

Comment

Ridiculous! Be available where at a certain time every day? This would seem to preclude any travel. Virtual house arrest.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  I think that whatever system is in place, the top dozen honchos at WADA, IOC and all the federations should be part of the reporting/testing pool. If all this is a minor inconvenience that's just the price to pay, then they should be perfectly willing to do so.
                  Bingo!

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                    Ridiculous! Be available where at a certain time every day? This would seem to preclude any travel. Virtual house arrest.
                    I have a solution. Forget sports, get all the jocks and jockettes to take up tournament poker. No drug testing and really fun to watch on TV. And everyone can compete, regardless of age. Gotta be in good shape to stay sharp for 12hrs per day for up to 5 days of competition. The best will make lots of money.

Also......did I mention, all types of world travel and you get to wear a ball cap, cool shades and logoed merchandise.

Oh.........lying is OK.

Comment

By chance, saw a world-class athlete today in clinic, she/he subject to WADA testing. Asked about the new rule. He/she felt it was a bit of a hassle but didn't seem too put out by it. Apparently fairly easy to text/email/call the WADA or USADA nanny to let them know when you're travelling and where you'll be.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay
                        Apparently fairly easy to text/email/call the WADA or USADA nanny to let them know when you're travelling and where you'll be.
                        That sounds like the existing rule, not the new rule where they want you to specify a time and place 3 months in advance.

Comment

you have to give 5 days notice of any schedule change for ole form ( instructions below ) - i doubt that has changed

(IF)
                          INSTRUCTIONS FOR ATHLETE LOCATION FORM

PLEASE READ BEFORE FILLING OUT THE ATHLETE LOCATION FORM

Personal Information
                          This information allows doping control officers to correctly identify you and also means the minimum inconvenience possible to you. Please attach additional pages if necessary.
                          NAME
                          Provide your complete surname and given first and middle names
                          WADA ATHLETE PASSPORT IDENTIFICATION NUMBER
                          If you have already registered for the WADA athlete passport, insert your personal number here. If not, please write NA
                          DATE OF BIRTH
                          Provide your day, month, and year of birth
                          SEX
                          Delete male or female as appropriate
                          NATIONALITY
                          Provide your nationality (the country you represent)
                          H RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS (R)
                          The address where you will be living permanently. Please provide the house name/number, street, town/city, state/province, post code and country.
                          Please also supply a home telephone number and mobile number if you have one
                          › MAILING ADDRESS
                          Provide your mailing address if different to your residential address
                          ¿ E-MAIL ADDRESS
                          Provide your e-mail address
                          National FEDERATION
                          Provide the full name of the national sport governing body to which you belong
                          Membership number: (if applicable)
                          Provide your membership number if you have one
                          DISCIPLINE/CLASS/TEAM
                          Provide the discipline and/or class and/or team that you compete in

Location Details/Schedule ü¦
                          This information will serve to create a more comprehensive picture of where you will be on any given day throughout the year. Your best estimate will help significantly.
                          Š primary training location (X)
                          facility name
                          Provide the full name of the facility where you will do most of your training during the upcoming quarter
                          facility address
                          Provide the full address of the above facility.
                          DAILY SCHEDULE
                          Provide the times when you will typically be training at your primary location. Fill in all remaining empty boxes on the schedule with “NA”. Please refer to the following example:

This swimmer trains at her primary training facility from Monday to Friday from 5am to 7am and then again from 1pm. to 3pm

Day SUNDAY MONDAY TUESDAY WEDNESDAY THURSDAY FRIDAY SATURDAY
                          AM NA 5:00 – 7:00 5:00 – 7:00 5:00 – 7:00 5:00 – 7:00 5:00 – 7:00 NA
                          PM NA 1:00 – 3:00 1:00 – 3:00 1:00 – 3:00 1:00 – 3:00 1:00 – 3:00 NA

Š SECONDary training location (Y)
                          facility name
                          Provide the full name of the facility where you will spend the second most amount of time training during the upcoming quarter.
                          facility address
                          Provide the full address of the facility.

Our swimmer trains at her secondary training facility Saturday and Sunday from 10am to 2pm

AM 10:00 - NA NA NA NA NA 10:00 -
                          PM 2:00 NA NA NA NA NA 2:00

WORK/STUDY SCHEDULE (Z)
                          Provide the times during the day when you will typically have other commitments such as work or school/college classes (study) during the upcoming quarter.

Our swimmer works every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 7:30am to 10:30am

AM NA 7:30 – 10:30 NA 7:30 – 10:30 NA 7:30 – 10:30 NA
                          PM NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

15. HJ ADDITIONAL TEMPORARY ADDRESSES (A1, A2)
                          Provide the addresses of any additional places you will stay during the quarter. This could include a term-time address, your parents’ address, a hotel if you are on vacation, accommodation at a training camp or competition, etc.

16. TRAINING CAMPS (TC)
                          Provide the names of the organizers and the full addresses of any training camps you will be attending. If your accommodation is at a different address, include it under temporary residence address.

17. COMPETITION SCHEDULE (E)
                          Provide the name, location, and dates of all competitions you will attend during the quarter. Attach additional pages if necessary.

Quarterly Planner

18. 3 MONTH SCHEDULE (see 7 day example BELOW)
                          Fill in the schedule with the letters that correspond to the addresses where you can be found each day. There is no limit to the number of letters you can place in one box. Please ensure that you complete every day of the quarter.
                          - Use the letter T to denote those days when you will be traveling.

Our swimmer trains at her primary training venue on the morning of June 1st. She returns home before and after her next training session. On July 2nd (Wednesday) she goes to work between training sessions. Because she has already provided her training and work times we are able to build up a picture of her whereabouts.
                          After attending a 2-day training camp, the athlete goes straight to her parent’s house from her secondary training venue on July 5th (her first temporary address), and travels home the following afternoon.

Month/Date 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

AM R
                          X
                          R R
                          X
                          Z R
                          T
                          TC TC R
                          Y
                          A1
                          Y R
                          X
                          Z
                          PM X
                          R X
                          R TC TC
                          T
                          R Y
                          A1 Y
                          A1
                          T
                          R X
                          R

19. Additional Information
                          Feel free to attach additional pages if there is not enough space on this form for you to provide complete information regarding your personal information, location details/schedule or 3 month schedule.

20. ATHLETE SIGNATURE
                          Read the acknowledgment, include the date and sign your name to declare that the information is correct.

DUE DATE
                          The athlete location form must be completed each quarter and returned to the relevant authority according to the following schedule:

Quarter 1 (January – March) = December 1st
                          Quarter 2 (April – June) = March 1st
                          Quarter 3 (July – September) = June 1st
                          Quarter 4 (October – December) = November 1st

You must inform the relevant authority of any changes to the information provided here to be received at least 5 days in advance. This should be via the Athlete Change of Information Form.

Thank you for taking the time to fill out the location form and demonstrating your commitment to doping-free sport.

CONTACT DETAILS
                          Please send the form by e-mail, fax or mail to:
                          (NF/IF address/Fax)

Should you have any further questions about the completion of the form, please do not hesitate to call ( NF/IF )

Comment

Rafael Nadal, Andy Murray, Venus & Serena Williams, a group of 65 Belgian sportspeople, the soccer association FIFPro and some British athletes have also heavily critized the new WADA regulations.

Here's what they had to say about it:

Rafael Nadal:
                            "It's not fair to have persecution like that," said the six-time major winner. "They make you feel like a criminal. Not even my mother knows where I am every day."

"It's a lack of respect for privacy . . . Those are things that have to change, and there is a unanimous voice in the locker room. It's an intolerable hunt."
                            Andy Murray:
                            "These new rules are so draconian that it makes it almost impossible to live a normal life," Murray told the Times. "I got a visit at 7am one morning at my home right after I had travelled home from Australia. I woke up not really knowing where I was and suffering badly from jet lag. It seemed ridiculous to me as I'd been tested just four days earlier, straight after the match I had lost in the Australian Open.

"The official who came to my home wanted me to produce identification to prove who I was. He insisted on watching me provide a sample, literally with my trousers round my ankles, and then insisted that I wrote down my own address, even though he was at my private home at 7am."

"I may miss a flight or a flight could be delayed, yet I have to let Wada know exactly where I will be, even when I am resting. They even turned up at my hotel in Miami while I was on holiday. Tennis has not got a big problem with drugs. I support drug testing and strongly condemn any use of drugs in sport, but there has to be a more realistic and practical way to deal with the problem."
                            Venus Williams:
                            “When you have a match that lasts until late at night, the next day you focus on your recovery."You are not focusing on where you are going to be. There are some things in the system which need to be looked at. We want a system which works and then it's fair." .
                            Serena Williams:
                            "It's over the top. I think it's too much. It's very invasive. ... Basically, they show up at your house on any day. I jump from city to city all the time. First of all, I never tell people where I am because I like to do my own thing.
                            A group of 65 Belgian sportspeople have launched a legal challenge against the new WADA rules. Kristof de Saedeleer who represents the group likened the current system "to putting a whole town in prison to catch one criminal". "There is no need for all these people to give their whereabouts for the next three months - that's a draconian measure."

Bjorn Vleminckx, a striker with Belgian football side KV Mechelen, is one of the 65 athletes upset about its imposition.

"We have to inform them of everything," the 24-year-old said. "If I want to go to the cinema, I have to update the site to say I'm going to the cinema. "But I can't always get to a computer. If they call me and I'm not in the right place they can suspend me. I don't think that's right."
                            British Athletics Commission (BAC) chief executive Pete Gardner warned that the tougher regulations meant a number of British athletes would retire if they missed two tests rather than risk the possibility of a ban and the subsequent suspicion if they were absent on a third occasion.
                            Wada’s cause tainted by punishment that does not fit crime
                            Davide Possanzini and Daniele Mannini, the Italian footballers, received 12-month bans after they turned up late to a drugs test. How late? Twenty-five minutes.

Here are the facts: this all happened in 2007, they tested negative and there is no suspicion that they might have used the delay to tamper with their samples. But none of this mattered to CAS or to the World AntiDoping Agency (Wada), the body that took action against them.

Tardiness equals noncooperation. Noncooperation equals punishment. Simple as that. Except this is a case filled with light and dark greys, one that underscores how dangerous and, frankly, absurd Wada’s black-or-white crusade is.

2 Italians get 1-year bans for being late for a doping test
                            ...CAS partially upheld an appeal by the World Anti-Doping Agency which wanted the players suspended from all football for up to two years. The bans run through Jan. 14, 2010.

"It is a bewildering and stupid sentence," said Mannini's defense lawyer, “Mannini and Possanzini have beentreated… like full-blown doping athletes. They never took doping substances. CAS knows this.”

Giancarlo Abete, president of the Italian Football Association told ANSA news agency that he had difficulty understanding the ruling. "A year's ban for something that was revealed to be only a technical problem seems excessive."

A CAS panel of three lawyers ruled that the players' behavior violated the WADA code and, by ignoring this fact, CONI applied the wrong punishment. But, CAS said in a statement, "although the players remain at fault, they were entitled to benefit from a finding of 'no significant fault."'

Brescia president Gino Corioni described the bans as "crazy."
                            "This sentence is a joke for everyone," Corioni said. "For us, for the players, for the Italian FA, for the Italian Olympic committee and for the league."

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis told Radio Marte that the club would stand by Mannini.
                            "It is a sentence that will hurt because Daniele is a serious professional and has always behaved in an exemplary manner," he said. "You will find him a serious and good person and this sentence has unjustly damaged his reputation."

Comment

Read the info on the WADA site. It's not that bad.

http://www.wada-ama.org/rtecontent/docu ... n_2009.pdf

You can update by e-mail, text, etc., right up until your designated time period, unless you are a suspicious character.

Comment

Working...
                              X