X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New WADA rule on athlete availability

Originally posted by Powell
    Originally posted by gh
    Athletes have to have an hour set aside every day for surprise contact. See story on front page.
    Wouldn't that be an improvement over the old system? The athletes will no longer have to be afraid to go shopping for fear testers might turn up and count that as a missed test. They will just have to make sure they are at home every day between, say, 7 and 8 AM.
    The trick is to do what I do when lawyers ask me for a time to do a deposition at my office. Since my day is pretty full I tell them a time I know I can make it fairly easily - 4-5 AM. They don't like it, but I'm up so if they want me that's when they get me.

The athletes should tell the testers they will be available every day from 3-4 AM. Lets see if the testers have the cojones to get up and test then. I guarantee the athletes could put up with it.

Comment

As a doctor with my background I sometimes see pro golfers as patients. Every time I see them, if I recommend a prescription medication, we go thru the same routine - we have to call Ponte Vedra and the PGA Tour medication hotline - they are now on the same testing protocol as WADA (actually not quite as strict). This is for things like Motrin, muscle relaxants, pain medicines - the same medications I would offer any of you if you came to the office - I can assure you it is nothing close to anything on the PED list. But they're so paranoid they can't be treated like normal patients.

This has gotten out of hand.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam
        The athletes should tell the testers they will be available every day from 3-4 AM.
        I believe the chosen 1-hour slot must be between 6 AM and 11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
          The athletes should tell the testers they will be available every day from 3-4 AM.
          Wouldn't want to inconvenience the testers too much, no way . . .

Comment

This has gotten out of hand.
            Yes it has.

Golf, tennis & soccer are only affiliated with WADA so they can go to the Olympics. They don't need it, as it will never rival the cache of the majors/grand slams/world cup. If enough of the players complain, i can see the PGA/ATP/WTA/FIFA simply pulling out of WADA & therefore the Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by gm
              You can update by e-mail, text, etc., right up until your designated time period, unless you are a suspicious character.
              . . . at which point it becomes necessary to report through one's parole officer.

Comment

We've had this system in UK for years it's exactly the system that caught out TBO when she was banned everyone was saying how ridiculous and it's easy to tell authorities where you are etc now it's a major inconvenience and against their human rights !!!

it's simple who say at home 6-7 every morning if you are going somewhere you send a txt message !!!

testers can't win, if they don't test it's s problem and if they do the very people they are trying to protect complain :x
                i deserve extra credit

Comment

European Union's top sports regulator wants the new rule put on hold (story now on front page)

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                    Then all the athletes should get together and they should all pick the same hour and it should all be either 6 AM or 11 PM, so they are inconvenienced as much as possible for this stupid rule.

Comment

Alrighty, doc, you're a man with about a thousand hours of advanced degree credit. What's a fair system? Remember, it has to please everyone, inconvenience no one, and catch all the dirty cheaters.

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
                        We've had this system in UK for years it's exactly the system that caught out TBO when she was banned everyone was saying how ridiculous and it's easy to tell authorities where you are etc now it's a major inconvenience and against their human rights !!!

it's simple who say at home 6-7 every morning if you are going somewhere you send a txt message !!!
                        it doesn't work for some sports - tennis comes to mind

nadal may play in tokyo & he arrives on a beginning saturday, thru the next week & until the monday in the week after

if he has a shock loss on the 1st monday, he's stuffed & can't leave tokyo for 5/7 as that is minimum notice to give ( these guys don't want to hang around if they lose ) - he is a prisoner in tokyo due to the rules - that is a breech of his human rights - loss of freedom of movement

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
                          testers can't win, if they don't test it's s problem and if they do the very people they are trying to protect complain :x
                          When they test stupidly, it's a problem because the people they're supposed to protect get hurt more than the cheaters they're trying to catch.

Many athletes would prefer to be beaten by a drug cheater, rather than have their personal and athletic lives fouled up by the restriction of movement imposed by the new policy or get banned for failing to show up due to circumstances beyond their control (e.g. late flight, son/daughter in the emergency room, had to work late at their day job, etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                            Alrighty, doc, you're a man with about a thousand hours of advanced degree credit. What's a fair system? Remember, it has to please everyone, inconvenience no one, and catch all the dirty cheaters.
                            It will never happen . . .

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                              What's a fair system? Remember, it has to please everyone, inconvenience no one, and catch all the dirty cheaters.
                              perhaps rather than random testing, wada demand that any elite guy has 2 tests/month ( outside competition ) each separated by at least 1/52

that woud in effect mean that every athlete has a time-period within about 2 weeks to get a test & onus is on them to go & get a test at their convenience at the nearest doping control centre & eliminate all this whereabouts nonsense

wada for their part can improve accuracy of their tests so they have longer window of opportunity of catching dopers

2 or 3 missed tests in a year & they get a ban

it's a start...

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                                Well, to start, have WADA sponsor a series of Level I RCTs to see which meds are truly performance-enhancing and which are only working by placebo effect. They say they want to do this scientifically, but their rationale for putting something on the proscribed list is simply a lot of people are taking it so it must be good stuff. I still say a lot of the stuff on the proscribed list has never been proven to be performance-enhancing in a Level I RCT (randomized clinical trial). (Medical saying: a million anecdotes constitutes anecdotal evidence.) And for future medications, nothing can be placed on the list until it has met medical evidence that it is performance-enhancing. We require this of drugs for them to be approved, but when we are getting ready to ruin athletes careers and lives, we only require that somebody at WADA heard that a lot of athletes are taking this, so it must be performance enhancing.

Secondly, allow the athletes to be judged innocent until proven guilty rather than the current system in which they are all assumed to be guilty and really have no chance to prove their innocence, the way the system is stacked against them. Allow the legal system to actually operate the way it is supposed to.

Thirdly, subject WADA and the testing labs to the same high standard they require of the athletes. If test results are leaked outside of the system, they should be thrown out and disregarded, or the system is not fully to the letter, they are thrown out. They require the athletes to play by the rules at all times, but they never have to worry about the rules - and they make them! If a lab leaks or disregards the rules more than once in a period of time (to be determined), fine the hell out of the lab, and if it happens again, shut them down or de-certify them.

Fourthly, have realistic penalties. People are asked to come forward and say they have doped, but then are banned for two years anyway. Now please tell me who is really going to do that? Remember this is two years out of a short athletic career.

Finally, I would also get rid of random, 24-7 testing. It costs way too much money, violates athletes rights to privacy, again presumes every one is guilty, and is not uniformly done (Jamaica??). Testing can still be random but I would only do it around meets, and then it would be random as to who is tested. And I really don't care, and I bet many fans don't, if they're taking some stuff during the year. We ask these athletes to be superhuman and then we tell them not to use anything to help them recover while they are pushing their bodies to superhuman limits.

You'll say this way many athletes will not be caught. True, this will catch fewer athletes but it will definitely catch the stupid ones who are using and it will still catch a number of them. But it will at least restore some fairness to a system that has gone way overboard. This has become political correctness in the athletic arena gone amok.

I'll probably get blasted by a number of you for this.

Comment

Working...
                                X