Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bambam
    I'll probably get blasted by a number of you for this.
    Not me. The current system doesn't work and is a ludicrous violation of athlete's rights. And as gh mentioned earlier, any drug testing system in place should also include testing of all of the folks responsible for the system.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam
      Finally, I would also get rid of random, 24-7 testing. It costs way too much money, violates athletes rights to privacy, again presumes every one is guilty, and is not uniformly done (Jamaica??).
      WADA does OOC tests in Jamaica. The uproar was that Jamaica didn't also have its own functioning testing body like USADA. Lack of uniformity in different countries is the result of each country's testing policies and resources on top of whatever WADA was doing.

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
        Originally posted by mump boy
        We've had this system in UK for years it's exactly the system that caught out TBO when she was banned everyone was saying how ridiculous and it's easy to tell authorities where you are etc now it's a major inconvenience and against their human rights !!!

it's simple who say at home 6-7 every morning if you are going somewhere you send a txt message !!!
        it doesn't work for some sports - tennis comes to mind

nadal may play in tokyo & he arrives on a beginning saturday, thru the next week & until the monday in the week after

if he has a shock loss on the 1st monday, he's stuffed & can't leave tokyo for 5/7 as that is minimum notice to give ( these guys don't want to hang around if they lose ) - he is a prisoner in tokyo due to the rules - that is a breech of his human rights - loss of freedom of movement
        i agree is it is more complicated for a sport like tennis but let's not get hyperbolic no-one is 'a prisoner' they merely have to send an email or a text !!
        i deserve extra credit

Comment

Eldy trust me it works the same for all sports. Tennis is nothing special and no different.
          Do not ever forget TBO's missed test, one was she couldn't make the time slot (which is all on the tester by the way once they made contact), one was a last minute change in practice. All of this is resolved with an email, text message or quick update to the whereabouts online.

I will share an example fr everyone to know and understand. An athlete's entry system to their building was not working. The home phone system had some bugs and would not allow the door buzzer to operate properly. So the athlete noted this in their whereabouts and provided a number, the house number, so they could come down and let the testers in. The solution was that simple to a very difficult problem since the code requires no notification. That means no calls whatsoever..

The system is not perfect but it can only be fixed if the athletes and support team communicate with the NGBs and WADA to sort this thing out.

I advise everyone to call and inform WADA that the no call rule is redundant. Once you have required an athlete to be somewhere for a given period of time you should call. They HAVE to be there so essentially they have been notified for that hour. As for surprise test, it is a hit or miss anyway, calling is not needed because the athlete is not required to be there anyway. Stuff like this is easy to fix, but only when people talk and not whine and lie about the situation.

As I say these other athletes do not want to be tested, I am not buying their misdirection.

Comment

Easy solution: Carry your cell phone with you and keep it on. Chloe can pinpoint your whereabouts at any moment and Jack can swoop in, do the test, look in your eyes to see if you're covering up something, beat the crap out of you till you spill the beans and be out of there in 15 minutes - no fuss, no muss (well, a little muss).

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              I think that whatever system is in place, the top dozen honchos at WADA, IOC and all the federations should be part of the reporting/testing pool. If all this is a minor inconvenience that's just the price to pay, then they should be perfectly willing to do so.
              What great idea!

And the results should be leaked to the press just as the athletes' are.

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
                i agree is it is more complicated for a sport like tennis but let's not get hyperbolic no-one is 'a prisoner' they merely have to send an email or a text !!
                they have to give 5 days notice of a change whatever method they use, so for initial 5 days existing schedule can't be changed - that does make you a prisoner, because if you left tokyo within those 5days, tester may still turn up there & off course you won't be there - missed test

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke
                  Eldy trust me it works the same for all sports. Tennis is nothing special and no different
                  athletics people know when exactly their event starts & when it ends & they can check out of the hotel the next morning weeks in advance

an elite tennis player's tourney can last between 1 day to 2 weeks ( for a grand slam ) - their travel schedule depends entirely upon how far they get thru the tourney

golf is similar to tennis but with lesser time "wasted" - each golfer assumes they will be there for 4 full days of tourney, but if they miss the cut after 2 rounds, they are usually on the plane out in the evening - they don't hang around for the last 2 days

they are different species...

Comment

I refuse to believe you guys think for an instant that once an athlete submits their whereabouts they are locked into being there.

And for the record Eldy, tennis and golf know when and where they will be long in advance and can do 3 months in advance with ease. They know they will be in London, or Pebble Beach. They also know what hotel they will be in. Track athletes will find out they are in a meet the day(s) before. With no information other than their flight time.
                    Being ousted out of a tourney early is easy business, you go online, change the whereabouts for the next day and keep it pushing. Or you go in and note that you lost and left early. As I said they read it.

This is not a static process and the people in charge know it. I know because I talk to them frequently. I make it my business to run every thing I have a question about through them, and they give me an answer. When we disagree I make sure they know there is a piece missing.

I really cannot believe some of you think the athletes are prisoners of their whereabouts. It is amazing to think it. Geesh.

Comment

i assume you didn't read the instruction form above

You must inform the relevant authority of any changes to the information provided here to be received at least 5 days in advance. This should be via the Athlete Change of Information Form
                      the reason being obvious - wada has to get the ball rolling & order the tester his plane-ticket, transport, hotel reservation, etc - that takes time & they want sufficient notice of a change in plan from the athlete, otherwise that ticket/hotel reservation has been wasted money

that makes athlete a prisoner & if you don't follow golf/tennis, let me inform you from someone who follows it very closely - they don't hang about in their hotel until tourney is over if they get knocked out early - they leave that day & get their manager to get them some exhibition or promo work for $25 - 50k/day+ as soon as possible

a top-5 golfer coud easily lose $100k being couped up in the hotel awaiting for a potential test, when they couda arranged some corporate exhibitions instead

athletics & golf/tennis are NOT the same animals

Comment

The idea that I have to be anywhere at a regular pre-determined time is abhorrent to me. I never even joined a bowling league because I refused to commit to being at the bowling alley every Tuesday night.

Comment

Eldy this is what I do. As I said for you to think the athletes are handcuffed to their whereabouts is silly and unbelievable. That mere thought is unrealistic. And they know it. They wrote things in the strictest way because the athletes have been cheating. As far as functioning, no one can update the unknown, such as, entry to a meet, or ousting form a tourney five days in advance.
                          Use some common sense.

Lonewolf that is why you list your hour as an hour you know you will be somewhere without being obligated, such as home when you are sleep. If I were a tennis person I might be tempted to list my club because I KNOW I will be there for practice. But the safest is home, early morning around 5 or 6am or what ever is early for you.

Sorry guys, this just takes a little thought and it is far from invasive. One has to be responsible for themselves, imagine that. Hahahaha all of this over ONE DAMN HOUR. Sad, it is really sad.

Comment

Re: New WADA rule on athlete availability

Originally posted by gh
                            Maybe they should just all wear ankle bracelets? :-)

Athletes have to have an hour set aside every day for surprise contact.
                            So much for hot anonymous encounters - you could be having the bang of your life and be in for a really tough choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                              Easy solution: Carry your cell phone with you and keep it on.
                              Unless it is a Motorola. Mine is prone to the occasional failure to ring when a call comes through, and I have a friend with the same phone who reports experiencing the same phenomenon. Or the battery could run dry. Or you could lose it, or drop it. Will WADA believe any of the above? Should they, even if it were possibly true?

I suppose with the failure to ring there'd at least be a record of a call from some hopefully identifiable number.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke
                                Eldy this is what I do. As I said for you to think the athletes are handcuffed to their whereabouts is silly and unbelievable. That mere thought is unrealistic. And they know it. They wrote things in the strictest way because the athletes have been cheating. As far as functioning, no one can update the unknown, such as, entry to a meet, or ousting form a tourney five days in advance.
                                Use some common sense
                                yes, that is what you do - for athletics

now tell us when you do it for tennis or golf

i don't know if you are aware of this, but certain sports, tennis & much more golf, for elite guys, the actual tourney play can be but a side-issue to making the big bucks of exhibition play, paying $25 - 50k/day & they do this 50 - 100 days/year

i assume you are not naive enough to believe that these guys are going to waste days of their invaluable time cooped in hotels when they can earn the above ?

as for the 5 day updating wait - you don't seem to or want to believe what wada specify as rule - how about you tell all your athletes to just ignore it, change schedules on a day, e-mail the update & then go by their new schedule immediately & not bother about wadas' 5 day rule - lets see how many of your athletes are still competing in 1y time...

Comment

Working...
                                X