• Crawford gives Martina his 200m silver

I read of it here http://www.universalsports.com/ViewArti ... ID=3625870

I always had a lot of respect for Crawford so this doesn't surprise me
    why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Re: Crawford gives Martina his 200m silver

Originally posted by DentyCracker

I never had any respect for him (well, not since 05) , and I still don't. This is a pointless move. Not surprising to see he still feels like he can go by his own set of rules and not those in place by the sport's governing body. If he wants to give back a medal...it should be his gold from Athens.

Comment

Re: Crawford gives Martina his 200m silver

Originally posted by Jaack
      Originally posted by DentyCracker

I never had any respect for him (well, not since 05) , and I still don't. This is a pointless move. Not surprising to see he still feels like he can go by his own set of rules and not those in place by the sport's governing body. If he wants to give back a medal...it should be his gold from Athens.
      WOW!! Hard hitting statements here. Must say that neither is he my favourite athlete, but it was an honourable thing to do. Now waiting on Dix's move. he certainly is holding a blood medal.

Comment

I'm sorry, if this is Crawford's attempt to be magnanimous, I'm not buying. While Crawford (or any athlete for the matter) was the recepient of a medal at the Olympic Games, it is NOT his place to reassign medals. And Martina is really delusional if he thinks getting a "sympathy" medal (from Crawford)means anything.

Having said that, If his case is heard and he prevails based on the 30-minute technicality (which is the basis of his fight), then good for him, but this little medal "award" by Crawford is just a gimmick from where I sit.

And even if he were to prevail based on the technicality, the irrefutable fact is that he did step on the line thereby running a shorter distance. Should he get the medal from the IOC, can he wear it proudly around his neck?

Comment

Yeah Guys! You know who else was a hollow-gestured jerk? That Paavo Nurmi. I hope Ron Clarke knows that the gold Nurmi gave him means NOTHING! Loser.

Sarcasm off.

Crawford can do what he wants with his medal. It's a gesture that obviously meant something to the two men, and that's all that matters. It was Crawford's medal, and his decision. Likewise, Dix is under absolutely no obligation to give away his medal.

Comment

even if CAS gives the medal back (based on the too-late-protest factor), we'll still call the result of the race a DQ and he'll be represented as having done so in the World Rankings.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM
              Yeah Guys! You know who else was a hollow-gestured jerk? That Paavo Nurmi. I hope Ron Clarke knows that the gold Nurmi gave him means NOTHING! Loser.

Sarcasm off.

Crawford can do what he wants with his medal. It's a gesture that obviously meant something to the two men, and that's all that matters. It was Crawford's medal, and his decision. Likewise, Dix is under absolutely no obligation to give away his medal.
              Exactly. They are sportsMEN after all, not mechanoid automatons who only exist for the whims of the armchair quarterbacks here.

Sean Crawford is the only arbiter of who deserves the silver medal, and his action shows me he represents everything good about the sport that I signed up for. I'd have done the same thing.

If you're reading Sean, well done. Karma will come back to bless you in a very big way.

George Malley, December 4, 2008

Comment

Sarcasm off.
                Just a small correction. I think it was Zatopek who gave Clarke one of his gold medals.

Comment

Originally posted by Atanvarno

Sarcasm off.
                  Just a small correction. I think it was Zatopek who gave Clarke one of his gold medals.
                  Doh! You're right, of course. It's Zatopek who was the jerk!

Comment

Sorry, but I do not understand. The DQ's clearly were correct. You win by the rules, you lose by the rules. IF YOU STEP ON THE LINES IN A TURN RACE YOU ARE DQ'd.

Comment

It was only in appealing Spearmon's DQ that the U.S. people noticed that Martina was also a violator.

But the U.S. protest against Martina, some say, came in a window outside what was prescribed by the rules. Ergo, it was too late to change the decision.

I note that when it comes to (re) testing, the window is months, so why should this be treated any differently? (and the answer is because just as one doesn't overturn football games after they're over because you discover the ref. blew a knee-down call, there has to be an end to everything at some finite point)

Comment

Agree 100%. It's a wonderfully magnanimous gesture, even if it isn't recognized in the history books. Shawn goes up in my estimation immeasurably...

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                          Sorry, but I do not understand. The DQ's clearly were correct. You win by the rules, you lose by the rules. IF YOU STEP ON THE LINES IN A TURN RACE YOU ARE DQ'd.
                          exactly. How on earth are SC's and Dix's medals tainted? There is visible proof of the lane violation! Why is there a rule at all if it's not going to be applied? I applaud SC for the thought, but he's missing the bigger picture here. He did nothing wrong and his competitor did (even though unintentionally - which is irrelevant), whether or not he was caught in the first go-round.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                            I applaud SC for the thought, but he's missing the bigger picture here
                            No he's not, you are. Shawn didn't want the silver and he can do what the hell he likes with it. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
                              Shawn didn't want the silver and he can do what the hell he likes with it. Period.
                              Absolutely. But the fact, not opinion, is that Martina violated the rules and was correctly DQed.

Comment

Working...
                              X