Women: 100 m, 400 m, 1500 m, 100 m Hurdles, high jump, pole vault

Schedule:

June 14 Berlin
    July 3 Oslo
    July 10 Rome
    July 17 Paris
    Aug 28 Zurich
    Sep 4 Brussels

One more year the mens pole vaulters get screwed again.

Comment

The joke that has become the Jackpot. No long hurdles for the third year in a row.
      Cherry picking events serves one purpose, to guarantee the athletes and public focus on those few events. It is counter productive and dare I say STUPID!
      Here comes my stump again, when will we see a true marketing department? And when will we market the sport. Not athletes or records, but the SPORT.

Things of this nature are at the root of the warring factions in our own federation. A battle over limited resources and it is far from healthy competition.

This is a business! We are not amateurs, it is reaching a critical point. What a waste...

Comment

That list looks startlingly familar... when was the last time these weren't on there: 100m, Women's HJ/PV? Wasn't men's JT GL this year too?

Comment

The men's LJ was below par. wPV will at least boost ticket sales for meets. 100 H and 110 H athletes never duck each other.

It's unfortunate that women's javelin did not get in

Comment

Not another men's javelin :roll: The women's javelin is much more interesting at the moment!
            http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Has any throwing event (for either sex) other than JT ever been a GL event?
              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Yes, the discus in 2004 for men and I think there was a women's javelin in 1998.
                http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Originally posted by nevetsllim
                  Yes, the discus in 2004 for men and I think there was a women's javelin in 1998.
                  I said 'other than JT', so that's one exception in 10 years. I am more and more convinced the IAAF should step in with some sort of affirmative action towards inclusion of some events in more GP meets. Never mind the jackpot, but how many GL meets in the last 5 years featured a women's SP or DT competition?
                  Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Re: 2009 IAAF GL jackpot events

Originally posted by twinpeeks
                    Isinbayeva again in 2009?

Men: 100 m, 400 m, 800 m, 110 m Hurdles, javelin

Women: 100 m, 400 m, 1500 m, 100 m Hurdles, high jump, pole vault

Schedule:

June 14 Berlin
                    July 3 Oslo
                    July 10 Rome
                    July 17 Paris
                    Aug 28 Zurich
                    Sep 4 Brussels
                    I'd have loved a women's long jump or Jav...as opposed to the 100m that will have 6 different winners and/or the 100mh!

ETA, women's SP would definitely be great too...Villi on the GL circuit is always a pleasure (if a rare occurrence)

Comment

I don't mind the repeated inclusion of men's javelin :wink:

Men's discus just experienced one of its all-time peak years though and would be interesting as a GL event as well. (On the other hand of course, one could argue that an event having an all-time peak year anyway doesn't need GL status to stay afloat.)

Comment

In the history of the Golden League since 1998 the following events have never been contested:
                        -Hammer Throw (Men & Women)
                        -Steeple Chase (Women)
                        -Shot Put (Women)
                        -Discus Throw (Women)

From 2001-2009 the most frequently contested events are (I don't have the data from before 2001 at hand):
                        Men:
                        -100m (8x)
                        -1500m (7x)
                        -Javelin Throw (7x)
                        -110m Hurdles (5x)
                        -800m (5x)
                        -3000/5000m (4x)
                        -400m (3x)
                        -400m Hurdles (3x)
                        -Long Jump (3x)
                        -Triple Jump (3x)

Women:
                        -100m (8x)
                        -High Jump (7x)
                        -100m Hurdles (6x)
                        -400m (5x)
                        -1500m (5x)
                        -3000/5000m (5x)
                        -400m Hurdles(4x)
                        -800m (4x)

btw. This year will only be the second time that the Women's Pole Vault has ever been contested.

Comment

I realize that the IAAF (and the meets) are looking to maximize their earning potential, but I agree that Affirmative Action track-style is needed here. The IAAF was on the vanguard of bringing women true equality in pro sports, and now they need to do the same for the events in their own sport. Spread the wealth, please. You can still worship the Golden Calf while spreading the Good Word.

Comment

After the 100 and 1500 (almost always included on the mens side) and the 100 and HJ (almost always included on the womens side) I honestly don't understand the distribution that figaro showed us for 2001-2009. I don't see how repeatedly including some of those events at the expense of others can be good for the golden league as far as spectators in the stands or spectators on TV. Someone needs to enlighten me on the logic used to arrive at the event list.

Comment

As some circuit-savvy person posted during a similar discussion last year, so long as Thorkildsen is Norway's biggest hero, Oslo will demand (and get) the javelin as one of the events.

Comment

Working...
                              X