hellebaut retires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hellebaut retires

womens 2008 olympic high jump champion tia hellebut announced her retirement today and also said she is 3 months pregnant.

:shock:

What is it with Belgian sportswomen announcing retirements out of the blue?! First Justine Henin, now Tia Hellebaut!
    http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

IAAF piece:
      http://iaaf.org/news/kind=100/newsid=48529.html

Comment

Re: hellebut retires

Originally posted by doug091463
        womens 2008 olympic high jump champion tia hellebut announced her retirement today and also said she is 3 months pregnant.
        Retired?! The hardest work she will ever experience starts in 6 months.
        phsstt!

Comment

Re: hellebut retires

Originally posted by doug091463
          OMG, CONGRATULATIONS Tia. That's fantastic. I hope she has a happy/healthy pregnancy.

I'm choosing to ignore the retirement bit and keep the faith that she'll do some heptathlon/Pentathlons by 2010. Euro/Olympic Champion, Top 5(?) A.T at iPentathlon. All of her greatest achievements at the end of her career. I can see why you'd want to go out on top.

Comment

probably realised that if blanka gets her act together, competes in sensible number of meets & gradually aims for increasing heights rather than keep going for 2.09 after 2.03, she's likely to take a dozen beatings in a row next year & subsequent years

not much kudos in being an og champ who gets beaten like a drum for rest of career & best to do a patilidou+ & quit completely whilst ahead

Comment

eldrick - read the reports again and try to understand the basic facts - that Tia is pregnant, the timing is good for retirement while on top, and a great opportunity lies ahead for her with Golazo Sports, allowing her to stay involved with international T&F and to help discover and further develop young talent in Belgium. Instead, your post is right up the alley of what one might find on letsrun - mindless and asinine speculation.

Comment

i suggest you look up their head-to-head records in the past coupla years instead of mouthing off

history's great athletes ( since '83 at least ) go for trifecta of

wc, og & wr

she's got one & given up on the others, which "greats" don't do, unless they realise they have little/no chance of achieving them

Comment

Tia looks at the Olympic Gold Medal everyday. Blanka who? whatever.....

Originally posted by eldrick
                  probably realised that if blanka gets her act together, competes in sensible number of meets & gradually aims for increasing heights rather than keep going for 2.09 after 2.03, she's likely to take a dozen beatings in a row next year & subsequent years

not much kudos in being an og champ who gets beaten like a drum for rest of career & best to do a patilidou+ & quit completely whilst ahead

Comment

hmmm, let's see..... if she's 3 months pregnant, and she won the OG Gold 3 1/2 months ago.... she found a great way to celebrate her victory !

Comment

eldrick - I suggest you don't embarrass yourself any further, implying you know the rationale behind Tia's retirement.

Rene Engelhardt
                      Golazo Sports
                      US Office, Albany, NY

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick

WTH are you talking about eldy? Not much kudos in being an Olympic Champ? Such an incredibly ignorant statement is beyond belief.

Comment

Congratulations to an athlete who appears to be one of the nicest in the sport!

I was looking forward to watching her in 2009 but I love me some babies as well! :P

Eldy.....shut up.

Comment

Originally posted by REngelhardt
                            eldrick - I suggest you don't embarrass yourself any further, ...
                            pfft, like that's going to happen.

As for Tia, I loved watching her compete. She always seemed to come through on the biggest stage. I'm a bit sad that I won't get to see her compete again, but I wish her all the best.

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
                              WTH are you talking about eldy? Not much kudos in being an Olympic Champ? Such an incredibly ignorant statement is beyond belief.
                              read my whole comment :

not much kudos in being an og champ who gets beaten like a drum for rest of career
                              it woud be an embarassement going to meet after meet next year & year after, etc, getting whupped each time with the spectators wondering why on earth this og champ doesn't win any big meets on the circuit

the almost 100% expected retort of

"well, i won when it counted"

sounds good the initial coupla times when used, but it's going to sound like a lame duck mantra when used for the 1/2-dozenth consecutive time

Comment

Working...
                              X