• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hightower wins presidential election in second round

Jensen vs. Hightower; Bowman out.

no totals announced for round 1: round 2 is 3:00-6:00 today

Comment

If you're Dee you have to like what the tea leaves are saying.
      There are no strings on me

Comment

so we know that nobody got 50% of the vote, so assuming nobody changes their mind, it's which way the Bowman people split out that decides it.

Comment

Mr. Bowman took a beating in the first round:

Hightower 304
          Jensen 263
          Bowman 58

I mean, that's only 58 more votes than I got, and I wasn't even running! (with apologies to Dennis Miller)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            so we know that nobody got 50% of the vote, so assuming nobody changes their mind, it's which way the Bowman people split out that decides it.
            Not likely to be too many SH people in that group.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              Mr. Bowman took a beating in the first round:

Hightower 304
              Jensen 263
              Bowman 58

I mean, that's only 58 more votes than I got, and I wasn't even running! (with apologies to Dennis Miller)
              I am honestly a little surprised it was that close. Hightower ran an excellent campaign. She presents herself well. Jensen does not present herself as confidently, but was smart in trying to get votes from people who don't like Hightower by playing up the integrity aspect of it. Bowman is a really nice guy, but not a strong campaigner. When there is a potentially close vote, it takes a lot of behind the scenes politicking to get somewhere in this organization.

It will be interesting to see how the final vote plays out. I heard some of the athletes chose not to vote because the ballots were numbered and the names are matched up with the numbers (only delegates can vote and I am sure this was to ensure only eligible people voted). So it will be interesting to see if any athletes who abstained before will now vote in the second round. On the one hand, the athletes are mostly in support of Hightower, but on the other hand, if they were concerned about the anonymity of their ballot, maybe it's because they planned to vote another way.

From talking to people and the impression I have gotten from meetings I sat in is that the athletes strongly support Stephanie, youth supports her pretty strongly, masters would probably be mostly Dee and Bob, and Associations are pretty mixed. It seems like a lot of people who don't like Stephanie are voting for her anyway because they think she'll be the best one for the job.

I am only an alternate delegate for my Association, so I did not get to vote!

Comment

I've heard a theory that Bowman killed himself with the athletes when he launched his attack on Drummond for a non-track "offense."

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  I've heard a theory that Bowman killed himself with the athletes when he launched his attack on Drummond for a non-track "offense."
                  I was not in the AAC meeting when Bowman spoke, but I guarantee you that he never had a chance with that group and nothing he could have said would have improved his position there in a significant way.

Comment

One on-site message I got was that his opening-session speech was "pathetic." (but no details were given as to why the writer so thought)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      One on-site message I got was that his opening-session speech was "pathetic." (but no details were given as to why the writer so thought)
                      It was short, he didn't speak with enough conviction and he didn't seem to have a very strong platform.

I didn't think it was pathetic, I just didn't think it was enough to face his competition.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
                        It will be interesting to see how the final vote plays out. I heard some of the athletes chose not to vote because the ballots were numbered and the names are matched up with the numbers (only delegates can vote and I am sure this was to ensure only eligible people voted). So it will be interesting to see if any athletes who abstained before will now vote in the second round. On the one hand, the athletes are mostly in support of Hightower, but on the other hand, if they were concerned about the anonymity of their ballot, maybe it's because they planned to vote another way. ....
                        a text I got awhile ago:

<<Vote is being tabulated by the local League of Women Voters. There
                        should be no matching up of Ballot numerals to names>>

Comment

Hightower wins it.

http://www.usatf.org/news/view.aspx?dui ... 5_18_59_36

Comment

lol.

Gonna need a quote from Larry Probst on this :P

Seriously, a wise man once said you get the government you deserve. If nothing else, things will be entertaining. Good luck Douglas.

Comment

My photos from Reno annual meeting are now posted here:
                              http://www.masterstrack.com/gallery/mai ... emId=38402

Shots are mainly of masters bigwigs, but also of Becca Gillespy, Adam Jacobs (of TheFinalSprint.com) and all three USATF prez candidates.

A series of reports from Reno are on my blog, including a somewhat combative appearance by Stephanie at the Masters Track & Field Committee meeting the day before the election:
                              http://www.masterstrack.com/blog/

K E N
                              K E N

Comment

Working...
                              X