Originally posted by Barto
    So, who is the new Women's TF Chair?
    I believe it is Sue Humphries.
    Humphrey.

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    Originally posted by Halfmiler2
    I am certain Stephanie will have no problem being named Chair of the Board, She only needs eight out of 15 votes on the Board, and she probably has all five votes of Board members already named - herself, the IAAF member, and the three athletes. Almost nobody in USATF likes the USOC mandate that the Board pick the Chair instead of the President automatically getting the position. I'd guess even if some past non-supporters of Stephanie get on the Board they will feel it important to support the will of the electorate.

I think most of the 48% like me that voted against Stephanie hope she will succeed and be a good President for the sake of the sport. Just like Obama, an early indication will be how inclusive she tries to be.
    There's also not likely to be anyone else on the Board who could make a stronger case for being Chair of the board. If Bill Roe is on the new board, he definitely won't want to that position even if he could. If Dee Jensen is on the Board, I don't see her having enough support from within the Board to have the position. I doubt most of the future board members would even want to campaign against Stephanie.

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    Originally posted by Barto
    I believe it is Sue Humphries.

Leave a comment:

• Barto
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Halfmiler2
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    I think most of the 48% like me that voted against Stephanie hope she will succeed and be a good President for the sake of the sport.
    (Question revealing my ignorance of USATF's distribution of power): What 'power' does she have that will improve the sport over what Logan is trying to do?
    Of immediate importance, she'll be making literally hundreds of appointments in the next one or two months to the various USATF committees on the volunteer side of the organization. Even if Doug Logan has total control of the staff, there is only so much a staff of about 35 people can do and volunteers are needed to do the rest. In the longer term, Stephanie Hightower almost certainly will be the Chair of the Board which sets the overall long-term policy. Like any CEO, Doug Logan reports to the Board. The good news is that he seems quickly to have gained a lot of trust and respect from a wide range of people.

Leave a comment:

• Halfmiler2
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    I'm concerned that the USOC is going to go farther down the road (and take USATF with it) of caring only about medals, so that the strong part of the sport will suck up most of the resources. As in, field events getting more orphaned than ever.
    I think you are right on point, Garry. And we need to work now toward medals in 2016 and 2020, not just 2012. If the base and the pipeline are weak, we are in long-term trouble.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    I think most of the 48% like me that voted against Stephanie hope she will succeed and be a good President for the sake of the sport.
    (Question revealing my ignorance of USATF's distribution of power): What 'power' does she have that will improve the sport over what Logan is trying to do?

Leave a comment:

• Halfmiler2
    replied
    I am certain Stephanie will have no problem being named Chair of the Board, She only needs eight out of 15 votes on the Board, and she probably has all five votes of Board members already named - herself, the IAAF member, and the three athletes. Almost nobody in USATF likes the USOC mandate that the Board pick the Chair instead of the President automatically getting the position. I'd guess even if some past non-supporters of Stephanie get on the Board they will feel it important to support the will of the electorate.

I think most of the 48% like me that voted against Stephanie hope she will succeed and be a good President for the sake of the sport. Just like Obama, an early indication will be how inclusive she tries to be.

Leave a comment:

• BisonHurdler
    replied
    Originally posted by Smoke
    And it is far from over. The board will be chosen by a selection committee no one seems to know the make up of. People think they have heard of it but it is like trying to name the illuminati.

That's why we keep MattMarriott around.

Leave a comment:

• Smoke
    replied
    You guys still missing it. The USOC is not our friend. gh keeps hinting at it as best he can and everyone keeps missing the pink elephant. The restructure gives the USOC (an outside entity) a very serious say so in how we function. They control the purse strings and it has been their "big stick" for years now. Logan campaigned and pushed for this restructuring. Lynn Cannon is another link to the USOC. Notice how all the USOC connections lead to the big money in USATF and how they all seem to be at odds with Stephanie, Chaplin, and Brooks. That would be Mens and Womens T&F and High performance. That is also the money.

You are concerned about Stephanie? Please, she is the greatest ally in the room, but now she has to campaign to be chairman. All the while, many of you have allowed your emotions to cloud your vision. She has never been the enemy, she has been there through it all and one of the forces that allowed and enabled us to remain the greatest. All this talk of politics has been a distraction, nothing more. As was pointed out, it turned into an anti hightower campaign v a pro candidates campaign. And in the end it did not work, all it did was draw a line in the samd we now have to spend time blurring and redefining.

And it is far from over. The board will be chosen by a selection committee no one seems to know the make up of. People think they have heard of it but it is like trying to name the illuminati.

I am maintaining a positive outlook but reserved.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    I'm concerned that the USOC is going to go farther down the road (and take USATF with it) of caring only about medals, so that the strong part of the sport will suck up most of the resources. As in, field events getting more orphaned than ever.

Leave a comment:

• Halfmiler2
    replied
    As one the voters for the losing side, I am disappointed and very concerned but Stephanie Hightower will get her chance now and we will see how she does. I am comforted by having Doug Logan as CEO and some of the protections he got in the restructuring package passed on Wednesday. I hope we will not see another Masback-type exit but I think Logan is one tough dude and has the USOC on his side. And let us hope that Brooks Johnson does not suddenly re-appear post-election.

Hightower had more resources for campaigning than I've ever seen in a USATF campaign and talked a good game even if it did not always seem to match her past actions and positions. She got most of the votes from the elite side (high performance) and some (but certainly not all) of the youth and LDR votes.Dee got most of the votes of the track & field officials and grassroots (Associations). If anyone feels like a lost step child today its the grassroots folks. Even if Hightower and the USOC are at odds in the future, neither one of them are likely to view grassroots as much of a priority.

Leave a comment:

• TrackCEO
    replied
    My photos from Reno annual meeting are now posted here:
    http://www.masterstrack.com/gallery/mai ... emId=38402

Shots are mainly of masters bigwigs, but also of Becca Gillespy, Adam Jacobs (of TheFinalSprint.com) and all three USATF prez candidates.

A series of reports from Reno are on my blog, including a somewhat combative appearance by Stephanie at the Masters Track & Field Committee meeting the day before the election:
    http://www.masterstrack.com/blog/

K E N

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    lol.

Gonna need a quote from Larry Probst on this :P

Seriously, a wise man once said you get the government you deserve. If nothing else, things will be entertaining. Good luck Douglas.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Hightower wins it.

http://www.usatf.org/news/view.aspx?dui ... 5_18_59_36

Leave a comment:

Working...
X