X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by polevaultpower
    ... he renewed my T&FN subscription as a wedding present! 8-)
    That's, umm, special :P .

Seriously, congrats and good luck.

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    Originally posted by TrackCEO
    Hey Ken Stone, your wish has been granted. Doug Logan's blog now allows comments.
    Yup, I noticed! But Indy reserves the right to zap ones it doesn't like.

Of course, I do to. (But of 5,500 comments on my blog, I've deleted only four or five over the years.)

My news: Masters T&F Chair Gary Snyder is starting a blog, too:
    http://masterstrack.com/blog/002942.html

And no, Marlow. Becca is an energetic and professional young woman whose maturity is unquestioned. She'll be a married lady soon.
    http://weddings.theknot.com/pwp/view/co ... MsdVisit=1

K E N
    And USATF should certainly retain the right to delete whatever comments they see fit. I honestly was surprised to see they added them in the first place.

Maybe Stephanie Hightower will start a blog? That would be something!

And Marlow is well aware I am getting married, he renewed my T&FN subscription as a wedding present! 8-)

Leave a comment:

• TrackCEO
    replied
    Hey Ken Stone, your wish has been granted. Doug Logan's blog now allows comments.
    Yup, I noticed! But Indy reserves the right to zap ones it doesn't like.

Of course, I do to. (But of 5,500 comments on my blog, I've deleted only four or five over the years.)

My news: Masters T&F Chair Gary Snyder is starting a blog, too:
    http://masterstrack.com/blog/002942.html

And no, Marlow. Becca is an energetic and professional young woman whose maturity is unquestioned. She'll be a married lady soon.
    http://weddings.theknot.com/pwp/view/co ... MsdVisit=1

K E N

Leave a comment:

• Mellow Johnny
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Warmup area is by far the least of Eugene's worries. South Eugene could be considered at the margins of "close enough."

But guess what? Even if you plopped down the perfect stadium and support structures at Hayward Field, probably couldn't get the bid.

Not enough housing and even if that miraculously happened, I see no way the IAAF would put the WC a 2-hour drive away from the nearest international airport.

Eugene the perfect (or as close to perfection as I can imagine) Trials spot, but WC... nah.
    Agree with you, gh, on the point about the airport situation. However, can't agree on the housing situation. This was a big concern about the Olympic Trials but guess what? It wasn't really a problem. Eugene has a lot harder time hosting UO football games for housing (stadium seats almost 60,000) than track meets (capacity ~1/3rd of that). But they still get it done and there are several fans there that don't live in Eugene. TrackTown has so many fans that live in Eugene that a lot of them attend the track meets. So it's basically the same amount of housing required that would be needed except for the athletes for which there would be a higher need. Still, I don't think it was nearly the issue people said it would be for the Trials and the ability to host 60,000 for football games shows Eugene could likely host a track with the same numbers without needin to change too much.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Warmup area is by far the least of Eugene's worries. South Eugene could be considered at the margins of "close enough."

But guess what? Even if you plopped down the perfect stadium and support structures at Hayward Field, probably couldn't get the bid.

Not enough housing and even if that miraculously happened, I see no way the IAAF would put the WC a 2-hour drive away from the nearest international airport.

Eugene the perfect (or as close to perfection as I can imagine) Trials spot, but WC... nah.

Leave a comment:

• Mellow Johnny
    replied
    Originally posted by Smoke
    I think Eugene is missing the proper warm up, that square is less than adequate to be honest.
    Another good point. That's why they used South Eugene High School as the official warm-up track but that's certainly not ideal. Lack of it being a stadium will kill it unfortunately and the lack of a warmup isn't helpful either.

Leave a comment:

• Smoke
    replied
    There is an additional issue, travel in the middle of the season.

I think Eugene is missing the proper warm up, that square is less than adequate to be honest.
    But you pose a good question. That is a place that would work

Leave a comment:

• Bob H
    replied
    I do know that there is not a facility in the entire country that can host an IAAF event. That is embarrassing
    There are facilities in the US that have the physical capacity to host some IAAF events, but not the World Championships, as far as I know.

Leave a comment:

• Mellow Johnny
    replied
    I do know that there is not a facility in the entire country that can host an IAAF event. That is embarrassing
    Is the lack of a "stadium" the only thing keeping Hayward Field from hosting the World Championships? Meaning, is everything else up to standard for such an event?

Leave a comment:

• Smoke
    replied
    LA would have been great if the promises were kept. There were supposed to be more stands to block the south end.
    But just as AEG did not want to pay for the damn thing they did not want to pay for the damn thing. A lot of talk and promises were made on a lot of levels, too bad they thought this was a money making venture rather than an investment.
    It is really sad, the community was supposed to benefit from that track with added meets and State and the like coming in. But none of this has happened.

I have not heard of any bad blood. I do know that there is not a facility in the entire country that can host an IAAF event. That is embarrassing

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    They well know that the overall health of the sport requires a vibrant U.S. version of track and field. They keep hoping (but aren't holding their breath
    So that's why I'm hoping we all get on the Logan Bandwagon and cheer as hard as we can. Can't-doers not welcome! :evil:

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    means that the IAAF's feelings for the U.S. (aka USATF) remain a constant no matter who's in the CEO chair.

They were lamenting the fact that we couldn't pull off something as relatively simple as the Cup, so reacted by saying that they couldn't imagine our being able to host anything significant. Nowhere (written or implied) was the IAAF saying, "you guys screwed us, now watch us screw you."

They well know that the overall health of the sport requires a vibrant U.S. version of track and field. They keep hoping (but aren't holding their breath).

Would be interesting to speculate how it all would have played out had Edmonton not beaten Stanford for the '01 bid.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob H
    Originally posted by gh
    I know of no "bad blood" between IAAF and USATF.
    Nor do I. And I am confident that the IAAF would be delighted if the USA had a stadium suitable for the World Championships and USATF had the wherewithal to make a competitive bid for the Championships.
    following this comment

Originally posted by gh
    IAAF says US "may" never get a major meet again.
    What does this exchange (from the thread guru cited) mean?

Originally posted by gh
    Originally posted by tafnut
    "never" is a long time. As soon as there is a change of leadership (overdue IMO) there will be a sudden interest in getting the USA back in the fold.
    An analysis that couldn't be more wrong. On every imaginable count.

Leave a comment:

• Bob H
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    I know of no "bad blood" between IAAF and USATF.
    Nor do I. And I am confident that the IAAF would be delighted if the USA had a stadium suitable for the World Championships and USATF had the wherewithal to make a competitive bid for the Championships.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    The quote from Nick Davies of the IAAF in the USA Today link seems free of animus today. As it said, IAAF was "disappointed." But they understand the financial climate here as it relates to funding track projects.

The IAAF should actually be thankful it fell through! What a fiasco it would have been to stage it at that horrid Carson facility.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X