replied
    Re: Future OG cities

Another dream shot down by logic.

Leave a comment:

• huh?
    replied

>>Stockholm would be an enlightend choice for the '12 OG.<

Again, I must point out that you can't get the Games if you don't bid for them. Stockholm has chosen not to bid so as enlightened a choice as it could have been, it can't possibly be chosen.

Leave a comment:

• Vince
    replied

It is obvious that Paris will get the 2012 games, which may become a big mistake. I think NYC would generate the most income for the IOC, but the Olympic movement has become Eurocentric.

It seems many of the the IOC members have lost de Coubertin's vision. I vote for Rio, it might have it's problems, but it deserves a chance.

Leave a comment:

• Per Andersen
    replied

>And Per, your thinking is too parochial you just look inward.....

You got it all wrong, Noone. Stockholm would be an enlightend choice for the '12 OG.
    There are many things to consider in awarding the Games. Human rights, basic freedoms, equality among the sexes, sporting traditions, security, climate etc., etc.
    The only thing you seem to have considered is Political Correctness.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

"it is not always clear which cities will put on a first-class games. Atlanta qualifies by your standards, but it was one of the worst OG ever. Montreal,Moscow, LA, Seoul and Munich all had their problems..."

Noone: As far as I'm concerned, your comments only reinforce my original point. IF cities of the stature of Atlanta, Montreal, etc., "had their problems," then what in the world could be expected from a provincial or (pardon the expression) "third-world" city? I'm NOT the world's biggest Olympic fan--the Games are an absurdly bloated media carnival. All that aside, they mean enough to the relevant athletic disciplines to be done as WELL as possible.

Leave a comment:

• az2
    replied

Brazil's and Argentina's economic woes present a significant economic challenge to either country.

I'd bet on either NY or London or Paris in 2012.

And 2016, I would believe North America gets it.

Leave a comment:

• noone
    replied

Kuha, it is not always clear which cities will put on a first-class games. Atlanta qualifies by your standards, but it was one of the worst OG ever. Montreal,Moscow, LA, Seoul and Munich all had their problems. Sydney was admittedly great.

Sarajevo and Lillehammer put on the best Winter Olympics in recent memory, yet they are smaller cities (in the case of Sarajevo a 2nd world city!)where you might not have expected such a good show.

And Per, your thinking is too parochial. You just look inward and say "Stockholm is a good city, Scandinavia hasn't had a summer OG in 50 years, therefore it should be our turn", without considering that no Olympic Games of any kind (not even equestrian games which were held in Stockholm in 1956) have ever been held in the entire continent of Africa or South America.
    Didn't you learn in kindergarten that it is fair to share?

Leave a comment:

• huh?
    replied

>I wouldn't be suprised is Brazil or Argentina won the 2012 games. The Games of the last 20 years would have hit Europe-N. America-Australia-Europe-Asia and they've never been held in South America.

Of course the two cities might split the vote for S. America.<

They might if any city in Argentina were a candidate. But there is no such candidacy. The only South American bidder is Rio de Janeiro.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

I'm hopelessly old-fashioned, I'm sure, but I still believe that Olympic Games should go to cities (and countries) that can ACTUALLY put on a high-class and professional program. I'm not exactly against geographical "diversity," but consider it a distinctly lesser priority than a) great facilities and infrastructure, and b) a decent climate for outdoor athletics.

Leave a comment:

• trackhead
    replied

I wouldn't be suprised is Brazil or Argentina won the 2012 games. The Games of the last 20 years would have hit Europe-N. America-Australia-Europe-Asia and they've never been held in South America.

Of course the two cities might split the vote for S. America.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Duncan
    replied

Berlin

Leave a comment:

• dl
    replied

Hey, I'm American and I hope the '12 Games go to Paris or London. Perhaps the two greatest cities in the world, after San Francisco, of course.

Besides, if NYC loses in 2012, there's a greater chance SF/Stanford can get it in 2016!

Leave a comment:

• fez
    replied

What are the odds on Baghdad for 2016?

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

I second the vote for Stockholm--a lovely city with (for once!!!) a perfect climate for summer athletics. However, if they get the 2012 Games, they should NOT modify or destroy their wonderful 1912 stadium--it is a treasure!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X