Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bekele v. Wanjiru

Two questions:
    1) Physiologically speaking, who has the potential to run a faster marathon, Kenesisa Bekele or Samuel Wanjiru?

2) Second of all, who will end up running a faster marathon when it's all said and done?
    "Long may you run"- Neil Young

Re: Bekele v. Wanjiru

Originally posted by Mellow Johnny
    Two questions:
    1) Physiologically speaking, who has the potential to run a faster marathon, Kenesisa Bekele or Samuel Wanjiru?

2) Second of all, who will end up running a faster marathon when it's all said and done?
    I would say Samuel Wanjiru.

For me Kenenisa Bekele is a powerhouse compared with runners like Samuel Wanjiru and of cause Haile Gebrselassie. When I saw Bekele run on tv during his last 15K road race in Nijmegen (approx. 6 miles from my home) I couldn't picture Bekele ever being an absolute top marathoner.

Comment

don't forget sammy has just turned 22y last month & ran 26'41 as an 18y ole !

no reason why he might not get back to track racing in say, '10 & give kennster all he can handle over 10k - he'll be a lot bigger/stronger than when he ran 26'41 ( maybe <26'20 even now ) & if anything, kennster looks to have "peaked" career-wise

Comment

When Geb moved to the marathon, I questioned whether he would be as successful as on the track (because of his running style - up on his toes & very bouncey). It took him a few tries, but now he seems comfortable with the distance. Guessing that Bekele will have fewer adjustment problems.
        Bekele's performance at the Olympics certainly finds him at his "peak".

Comment

anyone remember early in k. bekele's career when he had some outstanding results in cross country and people wondered IF he WOULD be good on the track, well i guess he answered that question. my guess is he will be excellent in the marathon, for him a 2:07 marathon would be a bad day. i think k. bekele is such a good runner that if he focused for 2 years on the 1500 he could lower his personal best of 3:32, and if he moves up to the marathon he will be CAPABLE (not that necessarily will) of running faster than the current world record.

what will the marathon record be if?when je moves up, maybe 2:02? there are at least 4 guys running london who could be world record holder in the marathon by then lel wanjir, kebede and tadesse, also geb is still breking records left and right and there seems to be an endless number of excellent runners coming up a lot of them young.

Comment

Bekele has two 0 two talent in the marathon or im Gerry Lindgren.

Bek has a beautiful stride but a rather big kick back when running 4:10 pace but i think he can perfect a 26er stride at 4:40 pace.
            phsstt!

Comment

Where does this belief in a two 0 two at rather short notice come from?
              Doesn't anyone see that the recent record progression is partial cosmetic.
              Organisers keep adjusting, say accommodating the marathon course.
              The overall conditions during the last WR were superior.
              There's is nothing left in that respect.
              Progression from now on must be ABSOLUTE.

Since the marathon got such a huge status, fans are dreaming of greater things to come. In the rest of the broad spectrum of athletics there is not so "much happening". And if, as foremost in the case of Bolt lightning, the serious criticaster, has some eyebrow raising to do, if not more.

Comment

If Hayes was capable of sub-2, then so is Bekele.

Comment

Originally posted by G.Ahearn
                  If Hayes was capable of sub-2, then so is Bekele.
                  True, but Bek has to do repeat hill sprints with his coach on his back.
                  phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by Frans Rutten
                    Where does this belief in a two 0 two at rather short notice come from?
                    Doesn't anyone see that the recent record progression is partial cosmetic.
                    Organisers keep adjusting, say accommodating the marathon course.
                    The overall conditions during the last WR were superior.
                    There's is nothing left in that respect.
                    Progression from now on must be ABSOLUTE.
                    Very good analysis of the current courses and record status!
                    Because of variations in measurement, slope, wind, temperature, exact timing in the marathon is a bit overrated. Maybe the record should need to be broken by minimum 10 second chunks?

Comment

In a rainy and windy day

Today in Granollers (ESP) ,near to Barcelona
                      Wanjiru 61.13 Half marathon

results
                      http://www.runners.es/rcs/noticias/2009 ... to_web.xls
                      [/img]

Comment

Will turning to the marathon early (age 20) have any impact on Wanjiru's longevity ? Im curious

Running on asphalt for long periods several times a week is'nt good for the knees.

Comment

My guess would be that it would have a negative impact, but with the typical Kenyan pattern of retiring "early" in most cases, he may not run long enough for us to see it happen.

Comment

Working...
                          X